Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where to get vacuformed styrene sails?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
    • http://www.kaperbrief.net
Where to get vacuformed styrene sails?
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
Hi all,
looks like I might actually get back to my 1/300 Sky Galleons project this summer, which brings me to my question:
Does anybody know if there is a place that sells those vacuforemd styrene sails (the ones you get in plastic modelling kits) singly?
Or, if such a thing does not exist: any ideas on how to manufacture picturesquely billowing canvas pinions for those scourges of the Martian Celestial Main? In a light-weigth manner, so as not to compromise my antenna flight stands?
Regards,
Claes

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: Where to get vacuformed styrene sails?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Have you looked into plug forming? It's incredibly easy to do. I've made aircraft canopies that way.

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Uhm, no, never heard of it, and my google fu is weak.  :)
Could you please expound?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
It's just vacuum forming, but without the vacuum part.

The styrene goes in a frame or support, just like VF.
The styrene gets gently heated up, just like VF.

The difference is that instead of the whole thing being on a vac table, you just press it down over the form. Boom! You're done. For most small projects it's just dandy.

I had another thought: You could use a replacement slat from vinyl window blinds! It's already curved as if filled by wind. All you'd have to do is cut out the sail. That's even easier than forming!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
I had another thought: You could use a replacement slat from vinyl window blinds! It's already curved as if filled by wind. All you'd have to do is cut out the sail. That's even easier than forming!

That's pure genius!

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
It's just vacuum forming, but without the vacuum part.
The styrene goes in a frame or support, just like VF.
The styrene gets gently heated up, just like VF.
Sounds easy, up to the heating part. What sort of temperatures would I need, and what would I use for heating? Are we talking blowtorch rather than hairdryer here?

I tip my hat to you, sir, that's a splendid idea. Those are only curved on one axis, but at the scale I'm shooting for, that will probably not be noticable at all. Now to explain to my wife why we won't need those blinds in the basement anymore...  :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:48:57 AM by Fortescue-Smythe »

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
Sounds easy, up to the heating part. What sort of temperatures would I need, and what would I use for heating? Are we talking blowtorch rather than hairdryer here?

I used the kitchen stove (which also has convenient work surfaces nearby). Styrene gets soft at surprisingly low heats.

I tip my head to you, sir, that's a splendid idea. Those are only curved on one axis, but at the scale I'm shooting for, that will probably not be noticable at all. Now to explain to my wife why we won't need those blinds in the basement anymore...  :D

Blame the cat. Cats and miniblinds are natural enemies.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »

I used the kitchen stove (which also has convenient work surfaces nearby). Styrene gets soft at surprisingly low heats.

I tip my head to you, sir, that's a splendid idea. Those are only curved on one axis, but at the scale I'm shooting for, that will probably not be noticable at all. Now to explain to my wife why we won't need those blinds in the basement anymore...  :D

I declare! That Pete Murray is a right renaissance man, he is. Naturalist, inventor, artist, theologian, square dance caller...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »

I declare! That Pete Murray is a right renaissance man, he is. Naturalist, inventor, artist, theologian, square dance caller...
Author, painter, parapsychologist, re-imaginator. . . . . . lol
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:43:13 AM »
That cat ploy, alas, is not feasible, as I suffer from an allergy to animal fur. Which leaves me regretably de-felidaeted, regretably so, as I am quite the cat-fancier (and I just hope that does not sound like some sort of sexual innuendo).  ???
Anyways, I digress: thanks muchly for the tips Pete, I'll include slats on my next trip to the DIY's list.