Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Project possibly / new business  (Read 1568 times)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
Project possibly / new business
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
hi just working on a few ,molds for a project i'm working on, with exams just finished i find myself with lots of free time so i am planning on starting to cast my own scenery for sale (probably through eBay)
 there are lots of company's that do scenery items in plaster or resin or the likes but i figured if i retails my items on eBay for low enough prices there should be a bit of interest.
the first is a Egyptian cat statue, i have made a mold but might need to strengthen it up a bit. this one should retail for £1.99 i reckon.
it is approx 90mm from bottom of base to top of ear
(from left to right - original-mold-cast replica)

the original and the replica (sorry for the poor pics but i can assure that the replicas are in fact very crisp and the detail is quite surprising.)
next up is a 25mm (games workshop style) wooden plank base + pic of the item in use with a pirate.
any comments and criticisms accepted and also one question, making molds from latex is all good and well but not very practical for mass producing, silicone RTV is just to expensive for me at the moment so i was wondering, does any one have any silicone RTV there willing to part with so i can try to make better molds, i am willing to trade anything asked (if i have it) or pay, but not much (i dont have much lol) so a pm if anyone does would be great.
thanks.
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Project possibly / new business
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »
Might be an idea to stand a couple of figures next to the casting as a size guide
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:30:22 PM »
will do.  :)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »
hit with reality in the face today, i cant actually sell the cat as it is not mine originally, it is a clollecters magazine statue from about 2003. i might still if anyone can give me a hint as to what goes on with copyright and stuff. thanks.
any how moving on......
here is my first base mold, wooden planking one

that is it before molding process
this is it after with two molds and a cast base

and this is an example of it being used on one of my pirates (i am using it on all of them i love it!!)

i plan on selling the bases for 5 25mm circle bases for £1.99, at the moment i am casting them in plaster which is quite weak unless reinforced with about 6 layers of wood varnish (which no one in the right mind wants to spend the time doing)
so i am going to be casting them in resin. hopefully i can find a cheap enough one.
also i am going to be doing bits and bobs of scenic details,
for instance these two items,

a golden star (not really) for anyone who can guess what they are.
a few questions first
1. calling all business owners e.g ukfreddybear here , who should i use to host my business, it is going to be a small budget business.
2. does anyone know of any really cheap casting resins and also .... do you NEED liquid hardener to cast with resin.
3. to the general public, am i wasting my time? or is there interest in a cheaper bases and scenics company.
4. THE NAME, this is the hardest, i think i might go with TERRABASES or wiseman games. reasons, terrabases is obvious right? but the other, well my user name on lead adventure is The_Wisecrack so i decided to use the wise in it to create wiseman games as i may also sell in pdf some of my rule sets. (in a mini series called 30minute games, for very cheap maybe £1-2)
ALL feedback is NEEDED so please dont just draft through and think oooo pretty bases.
I NEED A NUDGE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
thanks