Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK (Update: March 5 '24)  (Read 129550 times)

Offline salcor

• Librarian
Re: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2015, 02:06:51 AM »
The SwiftScenics line, especially the office blocks, are very nice for CP gaming (if you don't need interiors).

Would you ever mix Papercraft terrain with MDF terrain?

Salcor

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
For the first read through of your Cyber Alley modifications I like what I see, but I am still Thinking through some of it.  At the moment I won't comment on the Cyberspace rules since I am still thinking them through. 

Thoughts:
1) I like your basic premise for Battlesuits, although I think would recommend a change to Armored Weapons Platform, my suggestion

Armored Weapons Platform
Character increases Brawl by +1d
Character replaces Shoot dice with light gun
Character may spend 1 gear modification point per the gun modification table page 16 of Gadgets, Guns, and Vehicles.  All guns are treated as advanced.
A Character rolls two extra dice for health checks and discards the two lowest.
A Battlesuit cannot make normal recovery rolls and can only be repaired.

Salcor

Good one! Love how you mix the GG&V rules with this one. Works better than a whole set of new stuff while there is enough overlap. Will work on the rules with your ideas! Curious about your thoughts on Cyberspace :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
Curious about your thoughts on Cyberspace :)
I'm a bit confused regarding 'Creating Avatars'... The text suggests that followers make the best hackers, but the Character Class / Avatar Class table has no listing for Follower. It does list 'Leader' twice under the character class column however.

Perhaps  the 'Follower - Leader' line on the last line of that table was reversed?

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »
Dooooooooooooooh, you are right! A Follower creates a Leader Avatar class and a Leader creates a Follower Avatar class. Good catch and silly on my end to miss this.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:41 PM »
It looks like a very good adaptation of Pulp Alley.

I'm sure the lads will be eager to give it a go once I get the Cyberspace tiles printed up and find some good proxies for Avatars and such.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2015, 03:44:26 AM »
Malebolgia,

I think your cyberscape rules do a great job of capturing cyber0unk/shadowwrun style cyberspace.  I am going to give it a try ńext month

Salcor

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. This is simply amazing and I spent the last hour drooling over it.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:56 AM »
Another idea we've been playtesting for Sci-Fi and Fantasy is "Fields/Shields" -- those invisible barriers that surround and protect a character or vehicle.

Fields come in three sizes -- d6, d8, and d10

While a field is active, all injuries are applied to the "field strength" rather than the character's Health. When a field suffers an "injury", it's strength is shifted down. Once a field is reduced below d6, it is destroyed and no longer protects the character/vehicle/alien overlord/giant robot/starship...
> Fields do not normally roll for Recovery (see Field Generator).
> Abilities that affect "Health" checks do not apply to fields.

Players may see that in many ways a field simply acts as a "pseudo-Health" which protects a character until it is destroyed.

Try it out and let us know what you think. d6 fields aren't a big deal, d8 is pretty tough, and d10 is best left for Terrors and Colossal Vehicles.

HAVE FUN

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
Another idea we've been playtesting for Sci-Fi and Fantasy is "Fields/Shields"

That is definitely another useful addition to add to the toolbox.

Players may see that in many ways a field simply acts as a "pseudo-Health" which protects a character until it is destroyed.

There are plenty of ways to interpret it, regeneration, repair, armour, fields etc.  Like most of the PA design philosophy, it works because it keys off existing rules rather than reinventing the wheel each time.

Fields sound like fun to try.  I will try to work them into a game and report back.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2015, 12:35:56 AM »
Moved
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:24:09 AM by salcor »

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »
Moved
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:25:37 AM by salcor »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
Hey Salcor,

I like the Perk a lot, but would trim the rules down. I think the following would suffice:

Tactical Communications Network:
Slots: 3
If any character in this league is within short range of an enemy model, then the enemy is within short range for all friendly models.

Personally, I think the rules for the Leader aren't necessary. Don't forget it costs you 3 slots! That's not cheap.

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2015, 04:27:51 AM »
Malebolgia,

Thanks for the feedback.  I will go with it.  Here are a few expanded thoughts on battle armor considering Dave's input on fields.

Salcor

Gear
Hardsuit (1 Gear Point and 1 Tip):  Heavy set of combat armor: Re-roll two Health dice per fights verse shooting. Characters dodge is downgraded.

Exo Armor: (2 gear points) Exo-armor is a heavy set of armor with a powered exo-skeleton.
Character is always treated as in cover vs shooting.
The character has a d6 field.
Bulky:  A character operating a Exo Armor cannot interact with Plot Points.
      Any opponents fighting a Exo Armor may reroll one extra die.

Battlesuit  (3 gear points)  In the future cybernetics have allowed soldiers to fight in big battlesuits. The wearer sits inside the suit or jacks in from a distance. In both instances they fight from the suit, giving them extra armor and combat prowess. They are not easy to come by, but add a lot of punch to any league.

The character isn’t used in the game as it pilots the Battlesuit.

Bulky and big
Battlesuits are big, bulky, strong and not very nimble. Therefore, the following rules apply to them:
 A character operating a battlesuit cannot interact with Plot Points.
 Any opponents fighting a Battlesuit may reroll one extra die.
 Opponents cannot play Perils when a Battlesuit moves up or down a building up to 6” high.

Armoured Weapons platform
   Battlesuits are created for one reason only: to deal a lot of damage and to soak up firepower. They often use large calibre guns and servo-powered fists.
   Character increased Brawl by +1d.
   Character replaces Shoot dice with Light Gun.  Character may spend 1 gear modification power per the gun modification table.  All guns are treated as advanced.

The character is treated as in cover.
The character has a D8 Field.

Combat Powered Armor (4 Gear Points)  Combat Powered Armor is one step removed from full scale combat robots.  These suits are capable of employing multiple weapon systems as well as taking a significant amount of damage.

Bulky and big
Battlesuits are big, bulky, strong and not very nimble. Therefore, the following rules apply to them:
 A character operating a battlesuit cannot interact with Plot Points.
 Any opponents fighting a Battlesuit may reroll one extra die.
   Characters downgrade their Dodge skill by one die type.
   Opponents cannot play Perils when a Battlesuit moves up or down a building up to 6” high.

Heavy Weapons Platform
Character upgrades Brawl by one die type.
Character can choose either 1 Medium Gun, or 2 Light Guns.  The guns can be further modified,  per gun modifications table.  In all cases, the crew requirement is 1.
The character is always treated as being in cover vs shooting, and may re-roll two Health dice.
The character has a D10 Field.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:24 AM »
Cool stuff again man! I will implement them in a new version of Cyber Alley, I like them a lot.

But first up is to finish a new scenery piece and two bystanders. HOPEFULLY I can finish them tonight...so pictures ASAP!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong due update!!!
Yes, new stuff done. Finally! And this time I have four things: some neon signs for my buildings, a BIG medical clinic, a doc and finally, his assistant.

Neon Signs

Very simple scenery (by Customeeple), but they took longer than I thought. They’re a bit fiddly to assemble, but I really like them. They add to that Bladerunner feel with lots of Neon signs in languages I don’t understand :P. I didn’t glue them down, so I can add them where I like!

Medical Clinic

Now this is a real beast, due to its size. Last year I painted the Noodle Bar (see page 1 of this thread), which is made by Warmill. I sent them the pictures of my Noodle Bar and they liked it so much they sent me a free medical clinic. Damn, how cool is that?! Took me a long time to finish, but it is really big and I was daft enough to go for a white interior with colored stripes. Here are the pictures:

The outside was rather easy to airbrush, especially because I decided not to spray each individual panel (which would drive me insane!) but rather focus on lighting effects. Then I sprayed on some rust as dirt and some BIG OSL on the sides as bright orange lights. Finally, I added some EXCELLENT decals by Blair Line. Now these graffiti decals are laser-cut and printed on white backing. So they are super easy to remove and apply and the white backing  gives bright and strong colours. Really ace product.
Now of course the roof of the building is removable. Normally I’m not a fan of buildings with playable interiors, but with this freebie it was a must. And the inside is extremely nicely designed too. Let’s have a peek…

Fat Freddy is down to the clinic for his weekly nano-liporeduction and maybe he’ll go for an optical eye implant too. He had a good week at the Happy Bar after all!
“Hey Zak! Can I go right in?”

”Good day mr. Freddy! I see you have an appointment with Dr. McKracken now. Please have a seat and read some of our fine magazines, while I inform the doctor you have arrived”

”Really? Oh, all right.”
Freddy sits down and browses on one of the tabs to see if he can find an optical eye implant with X-Ray options. Would be nice to spot his client’s hardware before they would unload it into him…

Zak: “You can go right in, mr. Freddy. The doctor is all ready for you!”
Freddy: “Thanks Zak…and yes, I know the drill. I’ll close my eyes in the containment shower”
Zak gives him a thumbs up. “Good luck mr. Freddy!”

Doc MacKracken is all ready for Freddy. He has prepared the operated table and has uploaded Freddy’s data to his computer.
“Ah Freddy. Good to see you, old chum. How’s the bar doing?”
“Very well doc! Had an excellent week…which made me think. Could you install an X-Ray eye implant? Is that an easy operation?”
McKracken chuckled. “You know me Freddy, here everything is easy…as long as you can pay the cost. And an eye implant is not cheap”.
“How much doc?”
“5000 creds”
“Holy soja on a chopstick! That’s out of my league…for now”.
“No problem Freddy…let me know when you have the credits and I’ll install an implant. It will only take about 30 minutes. Easy stuff”.

Freddy: “Okay doc…I’ll get on the table and you do your magic.”
McKracken: “How much do you want to loose this time?”
“Let’s make it 20 pounds…I want to score tonight doc!”
“Your wish is my demand, Freddy! Lie down…

So there you have the interior. I first painted everything white and then added the blue and orange striping. This was a lot of work to do, but I think it looks cool. I then used the airbrush to add the white highlights, making the lines pop. Then some silly OSL here and there and done.
I wanted to add some extra decoration to the inside, to make it more complete than the stock model. So I used two planters from Antenociti’s (and added moss and turf to it as plants). Next up are the stylish hex-pattern side tables next to the bench. There are markers by Customeeple and they fit into the walls perfectly. I then added some (paper) designs to the bench and tables and one to the computer desk to represent magazines or catalogues. On the wall is an (OOP) screen by Antenociti with a printing from Deus Ex artwork. In the operating room I added a small container by Antenociti’s Workshop and a large medical container by Fenris Games. Some resin water to finish the basin and DONE!
Lots of work, but it is done and I’m real happy with it. It’s also a huge building with a good foot print, so a nice filler on the table and for Cyber Alley I see lots of opportunities for Plot Points inside the building.

Dr. McKracken

I had this model for years in my collection and I was glad I could finally use him for my games. The paintjob was rather straight forward and not really sci-fi. He’ll be a great bystander for Pulp Alley.

Assistant Zak

A doctor needs an assistant and Zak fills this role. The model is an OOP model by Antenociti and I did a tiny conversion. I removed the silly manbag in his left hand and replaced with a hand (from a female zombie by Wargames Factory). The painting also was quite straight forward. I went for Asian skin, and I’m very happy with the results. Easy to do:
1.   Basecoat with Citadel Tallarn Flesh
2.   Shade with Citadel Flesh Wash (you know, the old yellowish skin wash)
3.   Highlight with Foundry Canvas C
I used orange and blue tones to tie him in with the clinic. Finally I added a small paper print as screen for his tab and then gloss coated the tab. Done!

Now what to paint next…?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:38:30 AM by Malebolgia »