Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689776
  • Total Topics: 118295
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK (Update: March 5 '24)  (Read 129059 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
That looks pretty awesome! 8)

I especially like the walled generator compound with the factory-like buildings next to it. The combination of high-tech and old buildings really gets that cyberpunk feeling across!

And even though more buildings are always good of course, won't you need some open areas too? The biggest thing missing from my perspective now would be the right surface; streets, roads, pavement, sidewalks etc, to really get that urban feel. But I'm sire that's being worked on ;)

I also really like the cyberspace idea. It somehow reminds me of one of my favourite PC games; Deus Ex; Human Revolution, where you also had to master small side games to hack into systems, open doors etc.

Can you elaborate on how cyberspace works in your mod? Is it triggered when a player wants to hack a terminal for instance? I'm intrigued...

The game must have been a blast. And that dice roll looks suspiciously like one that I would produce for a particularly  critical roll... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
I especially like the walled generator compound with the factory-like buildings next to it. The combination of high-tech and old buildings really gets that cyberpunk feeling across!

Cheers! That was exactly what I was aiming for. High tech combined with low tech. The big hardfoam buildings will be pimped with neon signs and stuff to give them a futuristic feeling and it probably also makes the buildings feel even more ancient.

And even though more buildings are always good of course, won't you need some open areas too? The biggest thing missing from my perspective now would be the right surface; streets, roads, pavement, sidewalks etc, to really get that urban feel. But I'm sire that's being worked on ;)

I also really like the cyberspace idea. It somehow reminds me of one of my favourite PC games; Deus Ex; Human Revolution, where you also had to master small side games to hack into systems, open doors etc.

Mjup! I have backed Battle Boards for this one:

https://www.facebook.com/GamesNGears/photos/a.660980810591118.1073741862.475726182449916/660986993923833/?type=3&theater
(a prepainted 6' x 4' table consisting of 6 2'x2' boards)

So they will have streets and even a small park. The streets should give enough open spaces for interesting fire lines, so the rest of the table should be crowded with alleys. And yes, I need loads of Antenociti vehicles to fill those streets! The boards should arrive in May...can't wait!

Can you elaborate on how cyberspace works in your mod? Is it triggered when a player wants to hack a terminal for instance? I'm intrigued...

Yes, Cyberspace can only be accessed from terminals (or hardpoints), so hackers need to be in specific places to do their thing. Once a Hacker spends an action, he rolls a die to see on which tile his Avatar spawns. Every time the hacker activates, he can activate his Avatar. While in Cyberspace the hacker is defenseless to physical attacks so you want to protect your hackers! They are sweet targets to fire at, because they can't dodge or shoot back.
In our games we also used a rule where a model can do an action at a hardpoint to power up or down the forcefield to the factory. If powered up, the field counts as a extremely perilous area. With the force field ANY model can use the terminals, not only hackers.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
That's how I thought it would pan out, yeah. So I take it the cyberspace action takes place simultaneously with the realworld action?

Are there any cyber defences, like bots, scrips and firewalls? And can hackers encounter eachother in cyberspace? in other words; are the terminals connected through cyberspace? That way, there can be a full cyberbattle raging parallel to the realworld shootout!

The more I think about it, the more I like it...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
That's how I thought it would pan out, yeah. So I take it the cyberspace action takes place simultaneously with the realworld action?

Are there any cyber defences, like bots, scrips and firewalls? And can hackers encounter eachother in cyberspace? in other words; are the terminals connected through cyberspace? That way, there can be a full cyberbattle raging parallel to the realworld shootout!

The more I think about it, the more I like it...

Jup, you're very close to how it works. Basically hackers access Cyberspace through hardpoints. You then place the Avatar on a random grid tile. When you activate the hacker, the hacker itself doesn't do anything but instead the Avatar is activated. Whenever you move through Cyberspace, you roll a die to see what tile you move to. This gives a totally random grid and thus a totally different Cyberspace each time you play. In Cyberspace you have orange and red zones, these are Perilous and Extremely Periolous areas where you can encounter danger. In addition, we will add a random encounter table. So each time you enter a tile, roll a d6. On a succes you encounter a random encounter. This prevents Cyberspace from being an empty place.
As different hackers access Cyberspace, you place them all on Cyberspace and at a certain time they are bound to meet in the cybermaze. Moving and combat all works the same and you create normal profiles for your Avatar. But we have included three types of programs which Hackers can choose as abilities (Brute Force, Firewall and System Tools). Each type of tool can be "spawned" from the Avatar for an action and then count as a separate model. They have simple programs, so don't do THAT much, but they are extra models which can help you in combat, defend you or help with plot points.

Now, before you play a game, you roll a d6 to see what type of Plot Points are generated. For example, if you roll a d6 and end up with 1-2, you're playing with 3 Plot Points in the real world, 1 Plot Point in Cyberspace and the major Plot Point in Cyberspace. So with a simple table you also have variety in the type of Plot Points and how the game is played.
The cool thing is that Hackers are nice and important, but they do NOTHING in the Physical World. So they don't add any firepower and need to be protected in order to do well in Cyberspace. Of course, you can have their actions in Cyberspace affect the physical world. For example, they succeed at a Plot Point and then a big security door opens. Or you can activate an automated turret (with a 3d8 machine gun!).

It doesn't add that much rules to the core of Pulp Alley, but gives some nice twists and possibilities for the game :)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
I'm really looking forward to trying this out!  :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Roon

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
I certainly had a blast with our first try-out game! Can't wait for the second game, but first I need to tweak my dice throwing skills a bit more! :D

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »
Great thread. Cyberspace rules look excellent! :)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Oh, so much cool terrain. I really like the noodle shop  :-*
The hacking stuff is interesting, smart ideas. I have to try it sometime.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Cheers!
I updated Cyberspace to make it smaller and with less tiles. Hopefully this will give a more intense and action-packed Cyberspace experience.

http://paintoholic.nl/cyberalley/cyberspace4.pdf

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
This is a spectacular thread, fantastic.

I have been planning to try an unmodified version of Pulp Alley for sci-fi for a while now, but a dedicated version might be good too.  As long as all of the extra bells and whistles dont limit the cyberpunk version from using scenarios and other extras made for the basic game.

I have been stockpiling a lot of sci-fi terrain for a few years now my list of stuff in the to-do pile have matches your list quite a bit.  I also plan to use some of the plastic Deadzone terrain to tie in with it: I think that it will tie in well with the Micro Arts and Warmill buildings.

I will be watching this with a lot of interest.  I really like the bright, bubblegum look that you have gone for.  Its looks more like Mega City One than many similar settings, but its just as valid a cyberpunk look as anything else I think.

Wonderful stuff.  My new favourite thread  :-*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:06:04 AM by cheetor »

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 03:25:01 AM »
I too have been using PA for many Sci-Fi games.  I have used a bunch of scenario based modifications, but my only nod to cyberstuff is to rename some of the abilities away from magic and describe their effects as EW in origin.

I look forward to trying out your cyber-combat component.

Very very cool.

Maj Guiscard
http://govgensectorsix.blogspot.com/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
Been a while, so time for an update! I just finished painting the Leader of my League. It's Hank Crusher, Corporate Enforcer.

I took one of the East Riding Miniatures' models and added a putty visor and an antenna from an Infinity model to make him more Cyberpunk. It works well together I think. Had a lot of fun painting the coat with the green and burgundy working together.

And I finished some quickies...some real quickies! I ordered a bunch of Heroclix models to use as my Cyberspace models. As I mentioned, you use models in Cyberspace: Avatars for the Cyberspace representation of your hackers and there are three types of programs they can use (Brute Force, Firewalls and System Tools). Each type has its own color coding, to keep it clear on the table what they are.

Next up is the third model of my League...and he is already halfway done!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:25:52 AM by Malebolgia »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »
Wonderfull stuff again! I seriously like your leader type; great conversion work and excellent paintjob! 8)

The avatars are pretty cool too. Good idea to go with transparent figures. I've been thinking of your cyberspace idea, and I was pondering the viability of having some clear acrylic lasercut, to create Space Hulk like tiles. I figured clear blue or green, with a grid cut into it, and SH-like jigsaw interlocking ends...

This is one of my favourite threads on LAF at the moment; by all means, keep going! :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Nice work, sir.
 :-*

I do like your painting style and it has the added bonus of really suiting the subject matter.
Nice idea with the Cyberspace models, too.
I am considering some of those 'clear' plastic figures for use in Strange Aeons.
 8) 8)