Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691285
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern-day / Medieval Castle (UD 4/6 - plastered!)  (Read 23460 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Modern-day / Medieval Castle (UD 4/6 - plastered!)
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
For some time I've been intending to build a castle (fortified manor house) for my WotR collection, which would be loosely based on Stokesay.  

Castles do present a challenge to the wargamer, in terms of both table footprint (they're rather big!), game play accessibility (room for hands, playable rooms or not), and storage (they're rather big!).  So, influenced by others' builds on here and elsewhere, some compromise is in order and I've sketched out a footprint for my 1.5m wide medieval village boards.  Actually, I've sketched out half a footprint as the castle will be up against the table edge, allowing play inside the towers and the manor house.

But..... to perhaps disappoint the medievalists.... I'm not actually going to start with a build of the castle for my WotR games....I'm going to build the modern day National Trust version for my SSS winter apoc board.  :D

The castle will feature as the base for my ICE Troopers and its use is influenced by a German zombie film that saw the survivors retreat to one partly for its thick walls (with mankind in disarray the nuclear reactors were overheating and exploding...an interesting plot development that is generally overlooked in most zombie movies).  

My modern day version will be a learning process for the pure medieval version that will follow, as the snow will help cover mistakes, etc, and also makes for an initial overall speedier build.

Like my SSS table, the castle will be on 30cm tiles.  I'm actually adding another, central row of tiles to the board so the castle will sit at one end, a medieval relic within an urban area, as can often be seen in the UK (may favourite urban castle is Totnes but it's Norman and sits on a mound/hill that is way too impractical to recreate).

So to progress:

(1) The castle plan drawn in MS Paint, on 3 x 30cm sq tiles, butted up against 3 of the SSS winter apoc tiles:

The tiles are 6mm MDF cut true and square at my local B&Q (a free service).  

The plan was printed onto A4 paper that was stuck with a clear solvent glue to the boards.  Where the edges didn't stick down, when dry I just simply tore away the loose material.

(2) The castle entrance with an accessible gate tower.  The castle will be on a mound and so there is a ramp up to a small car park in front of the gate (in the medieval version, this will probably have a small moat and draw bridge).  The outside edges of the tiles will be paved to match up with the adjacent roads and buildings.  The cross hatched areas are gates or doors.

(3) The main building which, like Stokesay, will have a raised footbridge across to the otherwise inaccessible Lord's Quarters that will be in the main tower.  The main entrance to the hall will be above ground level, via the steps.  I have contemplated enlarging the gap between battlement wall and hall but I don't think much playability will be gained by increasing the footprint.

Just over the wall to the right (as viewed) will be room for a helicopter landing pad that will be reached by a Sally Port

(4) An overview of the whole thing.....

In this later version of the plan, which I will use to cut out the mound pieces, I have marked the location for a half-size basement that will be accessed via internal stairs (top left of the hall) and an external half-flight of steps and a small door.

NB: this image isn't to scale as the graph paper is actually 1cm sqd

I've no idea how fast this build will progress as I have a lot of things that I'm working on but I plan for the main construction to be foamboard clad with vac-form sheets.

:D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:43:09 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Modern-day Medieval Castle (Fortified Manor House) Build
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Interesting (and a disappointment  lol8)

Are you having a gift shop and if so will you have models of the model for sale  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »
Are you having a gift shop and if so will you have models of the model for sale  :D

:D

Wasn't it the 7TV evil henchman lair (made by Overlord/Paul) that had a model of the board inside the board?  I might have to make one of those.... useful for briefing troops on plans for defence!!!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
Great idea! I have often toyed with doing a 'National Trust' type castle; in my case partly inspired by DoomsDay and partl by Reign of Fire (Hollywood certainly seems to think that castles should feature heavily in any British post-apocalypse!). Any chance of bits of the castle being  cast up for release at some point?

Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
Great idea for a project Steve - I am sure it will look fabulous

As a suggestion - when I built mine I used foam core for the walls and then clad in blue foam (etching in the stone work) - its a great material.

The only reason why I say this is round towers. I decided to use toy castle towers but in hindsight I would have used cardboard tubes and clad in the same blue foam. I recently discovered that 4D (a model shop near my work place) sells really thin blue foam that could be wrapped and glued around a tube.

This way I could have maintained a consistent look in the brickwork/stonework.

Cladding round towers in plastic sheeting might be problematic

cheers

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
Interesting- I look forward to seeing more- I love stokesey  Castle, and I love zombies- A good combination if you ask me.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
Looks like a promising endeavor!  :)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:15:14 AM »
Oooooooooo exciting Steve!

I'd follow Eric's suggestion, and LapinRouge's impressive builds. He just draws bricks straight into the foam.

Do you need to create vaccuum formed sheeting? It seems a little excessive is all.

My tip would be to build both at the same time. Measure twice, cut twice, and speed up production. You won't go to far wrong that you will get massive errors to be filled with snow Steve. The tricky bit is always figuring out how big something needs to be and what angle, once known you may as well save time and cut two.

Cheers, and good luck
Matt

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the interest and advice  :D

Regarding foam versus styrene cladding.... You've got me wavering but I think I shall do a test with the styrene to see how it goes.  There's a lot of blocks to draw and with the styrene i almost completely cut that out. I suspect that the styrene would also be more robust ?????? As I say you have me wavering.....

Regarding what might go into the store, TBH it's likely just to be a big pile of foamboard, craft sticks and styrene.  If I go down vac form route that'll be just a single sheet of blockwork as pavements (which can also serve as battlements), roof tiles, stairs, etc already exist.  I might need to make a master for the door frames. 

Regarding two at the same time, I have been wavering on that from the outset. Aw shucks.... Maybe I will do both together though I'll do the plasticard test first as all that foam etching puts me off!  ;)

Oh, and Giles thanks for the reference to 4D.  I have been there but it still sometimes slips my mind.   :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
:'(

Make two!

;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
Interesting idea. My cousin made a medieval version for the National Trust, I shall let him have a link to this thread and see if I can get pictures of his too.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
I've bowed to the pressure and just retrieved another 3 Mdf squares from the workshop !

Interesting Svenn.  Would love to see what he made. This won't be a pure Stokesay at all, there's some similarities in layout and elements.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
Yay!

Because we all know if you were to make one, the second one would be a long time coming with all the shiny toys in between ;)

Great stuff Steve.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Modern-day / Medieval Castle (UD 21/2 vac form stone sheets)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
Gosh.... Has it been two weeks?!

Anyways mould made and vac form sheets created for the stone block walls.

Mortar lines are 10mm centres. Sheet is 120 by 170.

Apologies for the awful phone photo ..

Ps: it'll be added to the store ASAP  ;) :D

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Modern-day / Medieval Castle (UD 21/2 vac form stone sheets)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »
cool :)

are these going to be available to buy ???