Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's modelling weather vane  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's modelling weather vane
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
In Maltese we have an expression for someone who changes opinion continually: qisu pinnur (which means, he's a weather vane, turning with every wind). Not exclusive to my language, of course......

This expression describes my model work, as I swing from topic to topic erratically.
To try to find any pattern, or perhaps to shame myself into some sort of discipline, I am proposing to track my progress in this thread, and I'll try to include pics to make it less boring. I'll also log new arrivals, and stuff I dig up from the dungeon, which I use for storage. These 3 categories will be:
WIP (work in progress)
NEW (new arrivals)
SAR (search and rescue, from dungeon)

Saturday 1st Feb.

WIP
Black cat bases fishman, for the new Cthulhu club thread (metal)
An unusually coloured Cthulhu (plastic), from a pack of 24 (6 large, 18 small) designed for a board game, and intended for a collection of Lovecraftiana
A Reaper Bones Golem which I intend to use as a superhero (plastic)
An old 40K Fire Dragon (metal) for my Eldar

SAR
A Warhammer dwarf (plastic), for my Dwarf army (d'oh!)

Here's a pic of the dungeon, to cut the waffle and show something:

And an old, old photo of my 6mm scale Andrayada forces:

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's modelling weather vane
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Day 2 - Sun 2nd February

WIP
Black cat bases fishman, for the new Cthulhu club thread (metal) - completed  :D
A Reaper Bones Golem which I intend to use as a superhero (plastic)
A second Reaper Bones Golem, a cybergorilla thingy and a troll with a huge club (all Reaper B) undercoated (plastic)
Converted Snotling pump wagon undercoated, and started paintwork. Mostly GW bits (metal and plastic and wood.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Haha, we have the very same expression in Spanish! To be a weather-vane! However, you look quite more focused than I am, you even note down what you are painting or planning! I just pick up whatever random minis I have at hand and just want to paint them as quick as I can just to move onto the next random project I fancy at the time! :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
Haha, we have the very same expression in Spanish! To be a weather-vane! However, you look quite more focused than I am, you even note down what you are painting or planning! I just pick up whatever random minis I have at hand and just want to paint them as quick as I can just to move onto the next random project I fancy at the time! :D
Hi Suber, mind you, I started this thread to try to focus - and this is at least the second time I'm trying this....  ;D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
Hmpf.
You can see that work is taking up more and more of my time again; but there's another problem: the LAL season 8, which fits very well with my aims.

SAR
So I did another trawl of the dungeon for suitable stuff. I collected the ten teams, so at least finding the models has been eliminated from the list of things to do. I'm not giving away what I will be painting (if I make it), and will refer to the models as team 1, 2 etc.

WIP
I prepared the bases for TEAM 1 (Fantasy) (that much I can say, as it fits the round 1 theme). Ready to start painting.
TEAM 2 (probably) assembled, after some fiddly cleaning of flash.
I am very tempted to bring forward a later round theme as the models seem to be fun to paint...
And I can't post pics of course!

NEW
I am very pleased with the newly-released Federated Security teams for 7TV from Crooked Dice,  they arrived safely here and very rapidly too. Very nice, crisp models, well-proportioned and distinctive.

On the same day ( :D) a package from Maxxev added a few warriors and snakemen and a pirate from Reaper Bones; a couple of Zee Dreadball players; a pair of Warjacks (Avalancher and Basher) and a Warhog.
The mountain is a little bit higher....