Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What are my options for a dungeon crawl?  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
What are my options for a dungeon crawl?
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
Hello all,

As noted in a few other threads I'm beginning the long road toward dungeon crawl gaming.  I'd like to know what rules people use to dungeon crawl with.  I'm looking for something about the level of complexity of Warhammer Quest without being so GW-like.  D&D is a bit too detailed, while games like Hero Quest are obviously a bit too easy.  I know someone posted a free dungeon crawl here a few months back but I can't find it.

Suggestions?

I'm looking for: relatively simple, but can be complex over a campaign...enough story and RPG-esque elements to take it beyond a normal board game.  Can be played solo (maybe) or without a game master (though would benefit strongly from a game master if available).  Heap your knowledge into my brain!  lol

PS: The alternative is to rules-bash my own dungeon crawl together, but if I can find one which hits the sweet spot I'd prefer it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: What are my options for a dungeon crawl?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
Songs of Blades and Heroes for above ground then add Gold and Darkness.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »
Warrior Heroes by Two Hour Wargames.

Advanced HeroQuest.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
Cavern Crawl is pretty good :
http://drumsdeep.blogspot.com/2013/05/cavern-crawl-28-unleashed.html

The author is lurking around

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »
Super Dungeon Explore - well if you want to do this chibi style. :)
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:30 AM »
Two Hour Wargames Armies and Adventures http://www.twohourwargames.com/fantasy.html
Risus
Advanced D&D circa 1978

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
Yeah Cavern Crawl was the one I was trying to remember (had seen it here).  Will take another look - had it downloaded, but on my old computer.

Offline Nedo

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
I'm looking for: relatively simple, but can be complex over a campaign...enough story and RPG-esque elements to take it beyond a normal board game.  Can be played solo (maybe) or without a game master (though would benefit strongly from a game master if available).  Heap your knowledge into my brain!  Laugh

I'm working on a personal project that meets all of these headings ....
The rules are ready, but not the artwork ....
The project has three game modes: Single palyer, Cooperatives and Dungeon Master mode.
The first two modes are played using a Dungeon-Card system. The deck determines the events in each room and varies by kind of dungeons (ie mines, catacombs, prisons, etc. ..); the monsters always attack the closest hero and move into positions of advantage (they have some sort of AI that controls them) .
The DM mode requires that a player manages everything. The deck of cards can be used to speed up and improvise the quests.
Sadly, the project is only in Italian language .... but if I find someone skilled to make a decent translation, my goal is to make an English version and distribute it (PDF format) via RPGNow!
I also had a Post here on LAF, but it was only for some few miniature sculpted and artwork design..
My signature link to my internet page.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:39:00 PM by Nedo »

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Otherworld miniatures should be releasing a skirmish set based on Crooked Dice's ruleset (think Doctor Who miniatures game, 7TV, 7ombieTV).  Given the bases of the rules I'm very confident in saying this ruleset will very well for heroquest/gauntlet style dungeon romps all the way to open area mordheim like skirmishes.

I'm still hopeful we will see a PDF in the next two months, but I haven't heard the official. Unofficially, we've heard Otherworld is really far along in the layout of the book (might even be finished by now) and are probably just delayed by the recent kickstarter they are participating in (Borrowmaze).

Edit:  I forgot that I did get an official response last month (Jan 8th)  "The priority is still to fulfil all the pledges from the indiegogo campaign asap. Once this is done then we will be in a position to proceed with the release."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:15:43 PM by Booboo »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »
Nedo,

That sounds intriguing.  If I were to do my own project it would end up very similar to Warhammer Quest just without the GW feel to it (no GW mechanics).  I speak only half-decent Spanish so I'd only pick up about 30% of Italian most likely.  lol

Booboo - yeah I've been following the Otherworld thread, but it looks mostly like a skirmish and not a stereotypical dungeon crawl (which is really the feel I'm after).  I started re-reading Cavern Crawl the other night and it looks good so far.  Since I love designing card decks, I also considered designing a "generic dungeon" card deck which could be used with a variety of games (simple encounter descriptions, monsters etc.).

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
It's only a couple of months away from general release, so if you can stand the wait, I can heartlily recommend Myth, by Mercs Minis.

Awesome game (I played a demo game at Spiel last year), looks great, has loads of cards and really encourages cooperative play. In fact, if you don't, you'll be toast in no time.

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:25:18 AM »
I was hugely turned off by the Myth aesthetic (childish anime stuff) so that'll be a big no for me - unless the rules are available solo or separately.  Looking to keep more with the original D&D look and feel.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
Thank you to those who suggested 'Cavern Crawl'. Please note that I have made many changes to the current edition - 2.8 - such as spells/prayers causing automatic damage, the Stealth attribute being entirely overhauled and simplified, the addition of jumping and climbing rules and a raft of other tweaks! I am currently (perpetually, it seems) awaiting artwork so that I can officially release the damn thing. I am hoping it shall be ready before the summer, but please don't take this as gospel!

ADDENDUM: The artwork should be finished by the end of the month. I have a new fellow working on it; a veteran of the Black/Death Metal underground so expect some suitably grimy and dark imagery. I will update here and on my blog!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:31:42 PM by Funghy-Fipps »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Bit of a left-field suggestion, but the Pathfinder Beginner Box is bloody brilliant.  It's a full RPG based on Pathfinder (= D&D 3.5), and takes your characters up to level 5 (online support info goes up to level 6) - tough but not invulnerable, and before the real world-breaking spells like resurrection come into play.

There's a players' guide with full character generaltion for Fighter/Cleric/RogueWizard classes, and Human/Dwarf/Elf races (others are easily found online - the Paizo support site for the game has the Barbarian class) as well as four pre-generated characters.  The GM's guide is surprisingly complete, with a decent bestiary and list of magic items.  There's a full adventure, and GM suggestions for adventuring in different environments.  Again, the Paizo site for the game has another adventure.

Comes with over 80 diecut card "pawns" for the heroes and monsters (and plastic stands to put them on), and a double-sided thick card square-gridded map.  And a set of dice :)  Lots more adventures and battlemats to buy on the Paizo website, although the D&D Dungeon Tiles box is cheap on Amazon too.

Currently £18 on Amazon UK, and for the price it's an amazingly complete game.  Not a dungeon-crawl boardgame, but it plays on a 1" = 5' grid.  The rules are stripped down heavily compared to the full game, as are things like monster stat blocks.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:13:52 PM by Momotaro »