Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Company: Schutztruppe Erkundigungskommando  (Read 9438 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Company: Schutztruppe Erkundigungskommando
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
Had the Vocabulary of German Military Terms and Abbreviations on order, and it arrived today. Turns out it is a 1917 publication by the U.S. Army War College listed as a "reprint of a British Document." So, hey: maybe the Yanks messed it up.

Anyway, here is a copy of the page from which I chose the fateful term of Erkundigungskommando:

As you can see, there are listings for both Erkundung and Erkundigung in the context of reconnaissance.

Cherno may be interested to see this definition in the book:

I am gratified that my choice of "Kommando" has not been questioned: I wanted the Company to be a permanent command or detachment, not just a patrol (Patrouille). Do I have that correct, German-language-expert-guys?

Mike O

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:58:34 AM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: New Company: Schutztruppe Erkundigungskommando
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
I am gratified that my choice of "Kommando" has not been questioned: I wanted the Company to be a permanent command or detachment, not just a patrol (Patrouille). Do I have that correct, German-language-expert-guys?

It´s more a question to the German-military-language-expert-guys, but yet, you have that correct.
Kommando does not tell anything about size or duration of the detachment, it simply specifies a task force of unspecified kind. Patrol would have been "Streife" instead.