Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Footbal  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
Medieval Footbal
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »
Hi all,

The Crossed Lance's team were given a set of medieval football rules recently.
At Vapnaratak the Lance and Longbow Society were very impressed with our jousting and mounted melee' game, we also explained the game we have coming out in April, which is a foot melee' and archery set which includes a crowd event game, this is for the eliminated knights to play on in as squires.

We have decided to give back to the community 50% of the profit from this game. This 50% WILL go to TROOP AID http://www.troopaid.info/ (a local charity in Solihull) for as long as the rules sell and will include any revisions.

We are aiming for August to release these football rules, as we need to adapt them to work in the same way as the current  Crossed Lance's rule sets. We will include a crowd event game to improve the game, as having played at Atherstone in the medieval football game played there, we have a pretty good insight into what we can add to the crowd events.

Martin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:51:54 AM by Crossedlances »
Martin Knight family historian and military history

Offline orm1

• Scientist
    • Ormesmodels
Re: Medieval Footbal
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Sounds good, do you plan miniatures for Foot melee?

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
We have some already for thee foote melee' and more due to be released. http://crossedlances.com/

The football game & figures should be fun to do, the designer could be very busy.

Offline orm1

• Scientist
    • Ormesmodels
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
I'll keep my eye out for your medieval football rules and hopefully football figures.

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
Well......As to figures. we will need Villains elbowing  :-[, tripping up others  lol and running with the ball  :D most figures people have should fit in as is  8).

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
Interesting.

Perhaps these rules will be compatible with any skirmish rules! It could be funny to have villagers or soldiers playing when the enemy is late to come.  :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
Villains

Not Aston Villains?  :(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
Not Aston Villians that's for sure...... 8)

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
Read about a yearly 18th Century 'football' match played in Lincolnshire where the object was to get the ball across the parish boundry of two close villages by any means and the teams were made up from anyone who wanted to have a bash...people were badly injured and a few were even killed in some years. The match was supposed to have had a very long history but was eventually banned. The Haxey Hood Game which is still played each year is said to have Medieval origins and the lunacy of it all can be watched if you wish to go along. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
Hi DM exactly the Atherstone one is 5 miles from me, as the crow flies, a manic day out but great great fun, too old to play now I hurt too much for too long,

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
Hi DM exactly the Atherstone one is 5 miles from me, as the crow flies, a manic day out but great great fun, too old to play now I hurt too much for too long,

Sounds like a good laugh actually.... assuming there aren't too many of the bigger boys there  lol

Darrell.

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Well there are i'm afraid, and as a clue I used to get sin binned for when playing deck hockey in the Royal Navy and there only one rule you can't hit around the head..! So think of a Rugby scrum with no rules and your there.!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
Well there are i'm afraid, and as a clue I used to get sin binned for when playing deck hockey in the Royal Navy and there only one rule you can't hit around the head..! So think of a Rugby scrum with no rules and your there.!

I've seen TV footage of it. Not dissimilar to Murderball that we used tom 'play' at school  lol

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »

I've seen TV footage of it. Not dissimilar to Murderball that we used tom 'play' at school  lol

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »

Darrell.

Sorry for the double post- no idea what the hell happened.....  o_o

Darrell.