Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Footbal  (Read 5019 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Medieval Footbal
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »
Not forgetting that everyone carried a knife in those days........  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
the lunacy of it all

The apparent lunacy of folkloric local traditions can be a heated (and sometimes political) debate  :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
There would be rules, although what they were is not readily apparent and were probably agreed on the day. Normal laws would be still in force though, but where the line between deliberate murder, manslaughter and misadventure fell, would be up to the jury... many of whom may have been players themselves.

Finally of course there is the legal fallout from Sunday matches... it was illegal to play football and other 'games' instead of the compulsory archery sessions for those required to practice with a bow.

;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
There would be rules, although what they were is not readily apparent and were probably agreed on the day. Normal laws would be still in force though, but where the line between deliberate murder, manslaughter and misadventure fell, would be up to the jury... many of whom may have been players themselves.

Finally of course there is the legal fallout from Sunday matches... it was illegal to play football and other 'games' instead of the compulsory archery sessions for those required to practice with a bow.

;)

I know what I'd be practising! Never have been a fan of Football :)

Darrell.

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »
@ Arlequ'in - archery for interest

It was only illegal if the Sheriff and his Sergeants had found the land, had erected the range and the  targets and you did not turn up.

A little known law.

Martin
Martin Knight family historian and military history

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
...and those places are still called Butts.

Offline Slorm

• Bookworm
    • El Rincón de Slorm
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Very interesting

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Suppose it all beats chasing after a large cheese rolling down a very steep hill ;) lol.

Went to have a look at Haxey in the early 90's when i was still very fit but after seeing the massive muscle-bound lunatics who had turned up to 'play' i soon decided to watch instead of getting involved lol

A footnote to the football game in Lincs a friend was renovating a 18th Century house which had once been an Inn near Lincoln about ten years back and removed an old panel wall and he found a list of players from such a game and the score.

Imagine booze and 'Dutch Courage' would add to the flavour of any match.

Another local very old tradition in Lincs i did take part in when i was young was a tug of war across the river Brant and the team that lost were thrown into the shallow river by the victors but they first had to run across the river and grab members of the team that lost. I was on the winning side...it was a good laugh and everyone got wet in the process and then off to the pub. The river was the parish boundry between two villages and imagine such games may have very ancient origins
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:20:05 PM by dm »

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
I am pretty sure with useful input from the guys on here....we could have a great set of rules, I'm not interested in the knockers the armchair warriors but I am in guys who want to really  :Dhelp.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:51:12 AM by Crossedlances »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
Suppose it all beats chasing after a large cheese rolling down a very steep hill Wink Laugh.

http://www.soglos.com/sport-outdoor/27837/Gloucestershire-Cheese-Rolling

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
Check out Mob Football, Folk Football,Shrovetide Football and Hug Ball and there are a quite a few references online and in county archives. Imagine there are a lot of other traditional games that were played at the various turns of the year and at the seaonal change festivals when people got together to make merry, let off steam and celebrate. The ball in these football games could be an inflated animal bladder, made from leather or even wood and in a lot of games they could be carried, kicked and/or thrown and normally consisted of large teams from various parishes or areas but more formal games with 10 players aside were being played by the late Medieval period in some areas. Some of the games had set rules and were highly regulated but others were or often became free for all bashes. I will have a good look round to see what information i can find that may be of use to you but have not got a clue about rule writing.
All the best Darren :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:36:31 PM by dm »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
Interesting stuff Darren  :)

It can look weird now but in old times there was certainly a community interest (or whatever words I should write about it if English was my first language) in such events and it certainly helped people to have a good time and feel happy together. So it can help us to understand some of their life. And when people still do it now it also keeps some community feelings.

I reacted on this thread because this discussion often happens in Brittany: some people say that reproducing old-time events is too old-fashioned; but other people say that it can bring people together, including people who were not born here, and even people who were born in other continents but are happy to take part in old traditional local events now that they live here - even if these events seem a bit lunatic.

OOooops sorry I don't want to highjack the thread  :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:32:27 PM by Patrice »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:24 AM »
'Medieval football' is still practiced in some of the smaller, regional stadiums in Brazil. Many have a moat, a curtain wall and are patrolled by armour clad 'knights' from the local PM shock battalions, complete with shields and maces (ok, they're enormous riot sticks not maces). Often outside the venue, the scene is completed by the presence of cavalry. All in the interests of fan and player security. On occasion, all this fails to meet its objectives and then things can get very medieval. That would make for an interesting game.  :)

Those of you venturing to Brazil for the WC will, alas, miss much of the atmosphere and most of the new stadiums have dispensed with the fortifications.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:29 AM »
I am not knocking traditional games and agree totally that these events in the past like the present would have brought people together and given strength to community identity.

In periods when a lot of the people were bound to lords and masters, their work and duties, the land and to a very large extent the church periodic festivals or special set days with games would have been a great way to bring the whole community together and to let off steam.

These games would have also allowed people to settle scores, slights and grudges that could form inside and between neighbouring communities without the need of fighting with weapons and the very real chance of a lot of people being killed or badly injured.

I really like the idea of these football games being brought to the table top and helping to bring alive largely forgotten aspects of our past and giving gamers the chance to play exciting games set in the Medieval period without masses of longbows and knights clad in armour slugging it out with each other to the bitter end.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:49:06 AM by dm »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
We should organise an annual LAF traditional football game.... for real!  lol

I wonder how many of us would survive the experience  :o :D

Darrell.