Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Portuguese colonial uniforms early 18th century  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
Re: Portuguese colonial uniforms early 18th century
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
Thanks Carlos...those units look colourful and distinctive, and yes Kingscarbine, certainly plenty of scope. Perry also do some monastic types with muskets in their Carlist wars range, might be useful. Some of the Foundry Peons with machete etc in their west range might be useful as well.
First i need to paint up the 105 Copplestone Indians that arrived today then perhaps some Bandeirantes on a raft, trying to make it down river before they end up in a Tupi cooking pot  lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
For the Spanish side and some very nice uniform plates I'd recommend 'Las Campañas de Cevallos, defensa del Atlantico Sur 1762-1777. It's an Osprey format book from the Spanish Guerreros y Batallas series. Much better than the average Osprey, although even if it wasn't it's worth it just for the excellent uniform plates.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:51:58 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
Yes the Spanish would be another protagonist to add as either allies or enemies. Decades ago i made a 28mm model of the fort at St Augustine in Florida (i think) complete with Spanish garrison and English besiegers together with the outlying town that the Spanish 'raised' to deny the English cover so i'm quite keen on the Spanish as well  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
Thanks Carlos...those units look colourful and distinctive, and yes Kingscarbine, certainly plenty of scope. Perry also do some monastic types with muskets in their Carlist wars range, might be useful. Some of the Foundry Peons with machete etc in their west range might be useful as well.
First i need to paint up the 105 Copplestone Indians that arrived today then perhaps some Bandeirantes on a raft, trying to make it down river before they end up in a Tupi cooking pot  lol

105 :o

I painted 70 Tupi and 60 Aimore and it is a fun wee job ;D the body markings are the tricky bit I went for warpaint rather than try and replicate the tattoos, cant wait to see them mate :D

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
I'm dreading it, the old peepers arn't as good as they used to be and my new specs are being repaired....anyway, thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it  lol. Anyway, gotta be easier than painting Aztecs, and yeah, like you i will do for war paint. Lets face it, if i can't see the results of body tats at that scale then i'm dammed if anyone else is going to  ;D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
I'm dreading it, the old peepers arn't as good as they used to be and my new specs are being repaired....anyway, thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it  lol. Anyway, gotta be easier than painting Aztecs, and yeah, like you i will do for war paint. Lets face it, if i can't see the results of body tats at that scale then i'm dammed if anyone else is going to  ;D

Definatley easier, Took me a good 18months to paint an army of aztecs with the shields, feathers suits etc a nightmare...fun but a nightmare :D ;D

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »
The Perry AWI figures are ideal for the 1760s-1780s, the only thing they are lacking are epaulettes, which were universal. Nothing that a bit of green stuff won't fix. The book you want for the period is Cláudio Moreira Bento's ' A Guerra da Restauração', probably the most comprehensive account of the late 18th C wars against the Spanish.

Although time consuming, it wouldn't be that difficult to add epaulettes to the figures. I think there's enough there for a "Spanish and Indian Wars" sort of project.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
I suppose the smart thing to do would be to make a master, then cast some up for mass conversions. If you you made some I'd be a ready market. They would probably have other uses too.

Of course, I'd wait until the Perry brothers get around to doing Spanish figures for the AWI as for the moment there are no Suitable Spanish. BTW some of the Perry and Eureka mounted figures make suitable dragoons from Rio Grande do Sul.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:18:17 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
Shame the Eureka figures are so expensive, they do an excellent Tupi range .

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
Shame the Eureka figures are so expensive, they do an excellent Tupi range .

I bought the range before they were released here in the UK. Their Tupi are nice but very small and would not fit with your Copplestone ones, I sold mine off for just that reason.

They did have some nice additions such as the Musket man and shield bearer I am keeping eyes out for natives that can be converted but havent seen any as yet.

Offline Stavros

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
Some of Outpost miniatures Huaxtecs might be usable, namely the naked warriors. I dare say some purists would say no but then my games are more psuedo historical and its more the general look and feel of the period that im after.
Outpost do a pack of 10 large flat shields for screens for archers etc.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
Some of Outpost miniatures Huaxtecs might be usable, namely the naked warriors. I dare say some purists would say no but then my games are more psuedo historical and its more the general look and feel of the period that im after.
Outpost do a pack of 10 large flat shields for screens for archers etc.

I reckon they could, hadnt thought about those and was involved in their commissioning ;D