Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How much does it take to create a miniature.  (Read 3445 times)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Re: How much does it take to create a miniature.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
I think Matt from MiniWarGaming mentioned in one of his videos that they paid 2500 dollars per master miniature when they were making the Dark Potential game.

I presume that must include full commercial reproduction rights and their line is fairly unique, i.e. not easily convertible from something else.

Michael Perry can whip out a Napoleonic grenadier in no time flat, partly because he's done tons of them and partly because he has things like suitable dollies, equipment masters etc. ready. Sculpting something totally new from scratch based on a verbal description or concept sketches is much harder.

If you just need a single, there's no sense on making molds. Just pay to have it converted or even sculpted from scratch and paint the original.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
Dave from Majestic Bear Miniatures used to do conversions and sculpting so maybe he can help. Here are some examples of his work: http://www.majesticbear.net/conversions/

Cheers

I wonder how you or what you would convert for M-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-c-e in S-p-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-e figures?

I am being serious but let's not go there (hijacking is bad manners) but the conversion angle is very thought provoking.  It puts a whole new light on personalized miniatures.

Gracias,

Glen

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
Skies the limit really, I run out of fingers when counting the number of miniature sculptors I know.

;)

Sure, just recently stumbled upon his page and saw his sculpting nd conversion work. Just remember that RedShadows here on Laf is also a sculptor.  ;)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/