Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Boer War for BLAM14 (UD 8/5 - progress with sculpting the troops)  (Read 56652 times)

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
Re: Second Boer War for BLAM14
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
Yes I was referring to the Highlanders and no there isn't some other detail other than that they have the correct rifle. I hadn't realised that you were planning such a major re-modelling.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
Yes I was referring to the Highlanders and no there isn't some other detail other than that they have the correct rifle. I hadn't realised that you were planning such a major re-modelling.

Thanks Hobbit.  I guess I'll need to change the rifle as well and I'll think about that when I get the minis in hand.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
I'm running this alongside (many) other projects but I have a small progress to report.

I mentioned before that for the mounted Boer and Empire light horse I planned to use the plastic Perry medieval horse sprue.  It comes with six body halves and four heads (though I think only 3 will be useable) that can be assembled in a number of fast moving combinations.

The medieval saddle and tack are an easy remove - I clipped off the front and back, then cut and scrapped away everything apart from the girth, before rubbing down with 600 grit wet and dry paper.  It took less than 5 minutes per horse.

I then made the beginnings of a cushion for the new saddle, which looks like it will fit the various horse assemblies.

My plan is to use the Sudan dismounted light horse, and for the mounted versions I'll remove the legs, fit slouch hats and probably modify the rifle. The legs will be sculpted directly onto the new saddle, which will then be cast for the upper bodies to be fitted to.

The cavalry legs will then be used to create a Boer variant.

At the mo I'm not sure what to do about a standing dismounted horse though it is something I'll have to address idc.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do next with the horse flesh and tack  8).

Also, the mini's too as they are metal and will take some converting(?)  8).

Darrell.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
 :)

Some progress with landscaping.

From my local garden centre's pet section, two pieces of cork for £5.99, total weight 821g. It's a German import for pet use korkplatte (cork board) by www.trixie.de and is described as size Medium.

It's the first time I've bought cork and not all pieces are good for terrain building: some are too curved (narrow diameter) and some have too many whorls (from knots, etc).

I found a flat piece and a curved piece, both being completely useable:

For the board, I need both sides of the donga (90cm each) plus some extra for the exposed cliff of the hill (about 45cm).  I cut the bark into strips of height 5cm to 8cm, giving me a total length of about 2.5m, which should be more than enough.

For most of the cuts I was able to follow natural breaks in the wood, for a realistic (uneven) upper edge.  A couple of lengths ended up with strAight cuts to both sides, so I just nibbled at one with pliers to make if more uneven.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:38:54 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
That's a great buy!

I have, thus far, been unable to find any at any Garden Centres or Pet Shops around where I live at all  :'(

I'll just have to buy online I think.

Darrell.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
You didn't hang around then Steve... lol

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
I got some very, very good quality cork bark from these chaps: http://www.charlescantrill.com/

They were close enough to me to make it worth driving over and having a look at what they'd got in stock. Because they're a direct importer I was able to pick through and get exactly what I wanted. I was able to get a fairly piece about 12" x 18" for under £20 - a tiny fraction of the cost of buying equivalent bits & pieces from a model shop.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
I got some very, very good quality cork bark from these chaps: http://www.charlescantrill.com/

They were close enough to me to make it worth driving over and having a look at what they'd got in stock. Because they're a direct importer I was able to pick through and get exactly what I wanted. I was able to get a fairly piece about 12" x 18" for under £20 - a tiny fraction of the cost of buying equivalent bits & pieces from a model shop.

Yeah, they're a bit too far away from me.... I'm in the NE  :).

Darrell.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
You're just not trying are you?  lol

In all seriousness though you could try 'phoning or emailing them to explain what you want and get a quote. The size piece I bought isn't listed on their website. They deal with railway modellers and we're only marginally freakier than them - even with P&P it might still work out better value for you.

I don't know what other suppliers you've tracked down...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
You're just not trying are you?  lol

lol I am.... I promise  lol

In all seriousness though you could try 'phoning or emailing them to explain what you want and get a quote. The size piece I bought isn't listed on their website. They deal with railway modellers and we're only marginally freakier than them - even with P&P it might still work out better value for you.

Only marginally! By the skin of our teeth  lol

I don't know what other suppliers you've tracked down...

Well, I made the mistake of asking the question on all the fora i could think of and now things are well.... muddled!  o_o

Darrell.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
Progress.....

Mauser m95

When I get it cast, I'll convert one of the masters to a Lee Enfield.

Btw, they aren't grandma'a teeth in the photo... It's a Sangar as the rules will allow building a protective scrape.

Started (very early stages) on a standing horse that will use the spare head in the Perry plastic frame.

I've also had the 6mm Mdf boards cut as 12 of 30cm sqs and sketched out the plan

Train and telegraph run top to bottom. Donga left to right. Hill to top right and trees to top left.  Blockhouse and trench overlooking rail bridge.  Boer farmhouse to bottom left.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Second Boer War for BLAM14 (UD 19/2- first Scots cut & shut)
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »
So the perry minis and the train wagons arrived today - yay

I've had a test of the cut and shut of a Sudan dismounted cavalryman with a Sudan Scots rifleman - this is to recreate the block house garrison shown by Plynkes on  page 1.

The new chap is in the middle (but needs a slouch hat and a Lee Enfield)

Straightforward hacksaw  of the two minis, snip and carve away the sporran, then pinned the two parts together (nb: an oversize hole at the bottom and some greenstuff helped with perfect positioning).

Note that the two halves actually match up!!!  The cut went through the bottom of the knapsack and water bottle and the parts align - yay

Next I'll try the loading variant.  

Though it's quite a bit of work I only need 7 or 8 for my garrison as the troops on the train will be in trousers and puttees.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:17:24 PM by Silent Invader »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
Go Steve Go  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
Yes but Stokesay?
10mm pirates?
SSS?

Oh dear... He's off again  lol