Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Thomas Sandford in the ECW  (Read 2708 times)

Offline bookshooter0

• Student
Captain Thomas Sandford in the ECW
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Hi, does anybody know the uniform colour of Captain Thomas Sandford's troops who scaled the cliffs at Beeston & captured the castle during the English civil war in Cheshire.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Thomas Sandford in the ECW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
Now, I don't have any books at hand to check but I have a feeling that I have read somewhere that they may have been green or yellow. If I get a chance I will try to look into this :)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
Sandfords firelocks seem to have been drawn from the Anglo-Irish forces that were then sent back to England. Some of those 'Irish' regiments are supposed to have worn/been issued with green or yellow coats I believe, but as for Sandfords, I can find nothing for their specific coat colours.

There were only 50 men in his troop, eight of whom scaled the cliff and stormed Beeston.

Online Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
I seem to recall a reference to green coats somewhere - hope this is of some help?
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline bookshooter0

• Student
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep trying to find any more information I can. But in the meantime it looks like I'll have to paint up two small units, one green & one yellow just to be safe.
Thanks again

Online Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Have had a look through the book collection. Have not found any certain primary source evidence (spot the ECW rivet counter!) but one interesting secondary reference from of all things the Osprey Elite on ECW infantry (plate D figure 3 - in a green coat). Normally one is careful re Ospreys but Keith Roberts knows his stuff and will probably have based this on some form of primary source. I have found a small officers list if that helps?

Offline bookshooter0

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the information, I'll have to hunt & find my copy Osprey's Elite on ECW infantry. The small list of officers would be really useful as I'm planning on running a 28mm ECW skirmish campaign set in Cheshire.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Cliff- coloured after the climb ;)
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Online Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »
There is a reference to a Captain Henry Ward, Captain Lt John Ector and Ensign Christopher Dobson (source Cavalier Army Lists by Stuart Reid) . The cliff reference is a good one! Sandford's seemed to have included some nifty chaps who could climb! Try reading John Barrett's books in ECW sieges (you can get these on Kindle now). It's good inspiring stuff (even if Sandfrord's did fight for the wrong side! ;)).

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
even if Sandfrord's did fight for the wrong side!

Barrett says that after Sandford and his Lieutenant were killed, some of the regiment seem to have fought on the parliamentary side...possibly under Brereton.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
This is a very erudite discussion...
Well done chaps  :)

Online Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »
Westwaller - thanks for that! V Interesting (and very wise of them! Guess which side I'm on?).

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
You are welcome. Which side? the RIGHT side by the sound of things Sparrow!! Is your user name from a certain series of books by Nicholas Carter perchance?

I have had a quick look at my Barrett book, and he seems to think that the former Sandfords firelocks became Parliamentary dragoons under Brereton. They may well have carried on with their exploits with 'Surprise of the Cheshire suburbs in 1645' according to Barrett.

Bookshooter this information is all from John Barretts 'Cavaliers' which I would recommend. It has some stuff about Chesire in the ECW too.

Offline bookshooter0

• Student
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for the continuing information. I've ordered the book recommended by Westwaller & found that I already had a 20 page booklet by John Barratt. Its the "Civil War Stronghold" - Beeston Castle at War 1642-45, I must have bought it on one of my many visits to Beeston. It describes the various sieges & actions around Beeston Castle during the civil war & says that Thomas Sanford's firelocks were raised along the Welsh Border. It also mentions that while Thomas Sandford & 8 men were climbing the cliffs a distraction was caused at the lower ward gatehouse by some companies of Colonel Francis Gamull's Chester Regiment of Foot.

Online Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Hi Westwaller. Sadly never heard of the Carter books (will look them up). The name goes back decades as a nickname - I was a lot slimmer then!  :D but "yes" -  I'm a convinced Parliamentarian!