Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Indian uniforms for the North West Frontier  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Indian uniforms for the North West Frontier
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
I understand Sikh/Hindu/Muslim in the same regiment were differentiated by the uniform and in different sub-units?

It's complicated.  :)

That's something that changed over time and varied with the three presidencies, so it's hard to make general statements. After the Mutiny it was thought that mixing up of classes and castes was a good idea, but there was also a trend within the Bengal regiments* towards the "class-regiment" (which is as you describe - each company of the regiment being made up of a distinct homogeneous group). But there were also many regiments that were entirely homogeneous.

After the mutiny and as the century wore on, the prevailing view of the British was that the so-called "Martial Races" (the hardy ruffians of North West India and the frontier) were a far more desirable commodity as soldiers than the Hindustanis. So increasingly you find Sikhs, Dogras, Jats, Punjabi "Mussulmans", Gurkhas, Afridis and other northern races being recruited in the armies of all three presidencies, gradually replacing many of the Southern Indians (except as sappers, their expertise in that field was well-regarded) and often eventually changing their designation to reflect their new make-up.

*They were always very faith and caste-conscious. It's no coincidence that of the three armies it was the Bengal Army that mutinied, while the other two largely remained loyal. The attitude with the latter was that one's faith was "put in your knapsack" when you joined up, and you focused your loyalty on the regiment rather than your caste-clique.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:57:32 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

former user

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
It's complicated.  :)

isn't that the fun of it?  ;)

THX for the elaboration

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
TA Heathcote's "The Indian Army" has quite a good section on class composition and includes a breakdown of class by regiment for the Bengal Army in 1864 and 1884.

Offline Mike Owen

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. I thought I better chip in as there have been some crossed wires about these figures I have been working on. The figures that caused the worry are the ones I was making to represent the Bombay and Bengali troops. So they had gaiters and short jackets and snyder enfields. I have been working mainly from the Mollo book on this and to say they're complex is an understatement. Lots of doubts and second guessing so in the end I decided to do a few packs in the 'fancier' uniforms and then the rest in the khurta (sappers etc). If you have any information on mountain battery uniforms that would be a gig help too.
Regards.
Mike

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
Forgive me if I seem a novice in these things,
Many years ago I attempted NWF wargaming but was put off by the dearth of accurate figures. I always thought the main gap in ranges in both 25/28mm and 15mm were not the 'regulars' necessarily but representations of the Punjab Frontier Force - usually described as wearing poshteens and less formal wear, but with miltary belts, ammo pouches etc. I hope this has/will be rectified...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Mike Owen

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
The first Frontier Force figures are done. I just need to do some command and variants of them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
The first Frontier Force figures are done. I just need to do some command and variants of them.

Yahoo!!! I cannot want to see them!!!  :o ;D  ;D ;D :o

Are you allowed to divulge what time scale we're looking at for the various releases?

Darrell.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
Just to resurrect the thread, I'm looking forward to seeing these figures released.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Captain Goode

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
The Simkin Plates, I think from the London Illustrated News are quite useful. Admittely these are for 1905 but illustrate the basic variations.  The Indian Army website also has a series of links to various uniform plates.  What I have not yet tracked down is a museum. Might be worth looking for regimental museums though.
Graham
Delhi