Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 799
Total: 802

Recent

Author Topic: 28MM Egyptian Temple/WIP  (Read 9430 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
28MM Egyptian Temple/WIP
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:35:53 AM »
This last week I began work on the great temple complex that is one of the terrain features I will be including in my Egyptian archeological dig collection.  It is a huge piece that measures 2 feet by 4 feet.  I’ve been collecting its components for more than six years.  The temple complex is divided into two large courtyards bordered by low walls (comparatively speaking) and enclosed from front to back by three large wall sections with an inner temple area in the second courtyard.  In putting this complex together I used pieces from three Great Adventure of Lost Kingdom Playsets (manufacturer unknown by me), the Fisher Price Great Adventures Hidden Treasure Pyramid, Mattel’s Mummy’s Gold playset, four of Scotia Grendal’s Egyptian Gates, and the Scotia Grendal Pharaoh’s Tomb entrance piece.  The Egyptian columns in the first courtyard area are fish-tank pieces from Petco and the twin obelisks are from Summit Collection.  The two large seated pharaoh statues are resin bookends I picked up at the swap meet.   The exterior wall inserts are Duplos covered by Evergreen plastic.  Some small detailing remains before I begin painting, but I’m very happy with how it has gone so far and hope you enjoy the pics below.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 28MM Egyptian Temple/WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:03:11 AM »
Your Egyptian temple stuff is soooo cool.
Off the chart excitement. :-*
Can't wait to see more.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »
This is a wonderful piece Richard I'm so amazed I'm speechless.  ;D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »
Holy crap, what a monstrosity!

That is going to look incredible once paint unifies all the bits. Which certainly isn't to say it isn't already impressive.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write.  This project has been a long time in the collecting and fortunately for my pocket, with the exception of the Scotia Grendal items and the fish-tank pieces, most of it was picked up over the years at the swap meet for very little money.  I agree with FramFramson that the temple will really become a remarkable piece once it has been unified with an overall paint job, but I thought it would be fun to show it in its undressed state before the entire collection is done and posted as one of my galleries.  For now it will have to wait for its paint because tomorrow I begin modification work on one of my two Playmobil pyramids.  I’ve also included an additional pic of the temple because I missed including it with the first posting, and I think it’s a pretty good shot.  Thanks again for writing and the very kind words.  Richard

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Nice to see you're throwing everything into this project, including the kitchen sink!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »

That's one snarky looking pharaoh whoms demeanor is not easily recognize among the classic finds.  lola

That said I think this looks like a fantastic game board!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »
Hammers, that's the beauty and adventure of a Pulp archeological dig; you just never know what you will find.  I should take this opportunity to tell you that one of the ideas I've "adopted" for my Pulp Egyptian archeological collection is your mummified adventurers.  They are great.  I would love to hear how you came up with the idea and how you have used them.  Really appreciate that you took the time to write.  I am a big fan of your work.  Richard

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
Kaw, that's blooming fantastic. I love the satues of anubis inside. I'm not a huge fan of that cheeky sphinx, but it certainly makes a interesting entrance for intrepid adventurers.

Will you be painting frescoes inside???

Cheers
Matt

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
Matt, thanks for taking the time to write.  I'm glad you enjoyed the temple.  The "cheeky sphinx" is one of those things that will probably have a limited fan base.  When I decided to add it to the temple as its entrance I made it removable and while I'm glad I did that, I know that when I put together my photo gallery of my Pulp Egyptian archeological dig, it will remain the entrance.  It makes me happy.  As to whether I will be adding color to the interior detail, I haven't completely worked that out.  I won't be doing a detailed painting of the different images but I may add some color which I will then dry brush over to provide it with a look of being exposed to the weather and the ages.  So far it's been a fun project, and I still have two Playmobil pyramids to complete and a great deal of structural painting to do.  Hope to have the Egyptian town, Nile boats, temple complex,  and pyramids done in late April or early May.  It's been a great ride.  Thanks again.  Richard

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02:36 AM »
I really look forward to seeing this progress.

What kind of boats will you be using?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 03:26:31 AM »
Amalric, thanks for writing, and I join you in looking forward to seeing the progress of this project.  I've been collecting this stuff for years and the ideas for what it might look like have been rolling around in my head throughout that time.  It's always exciting to me when the moment comes when the pile of stuff collected and the ideas I've dreamed up have to take a material shape.  So far so good.  I've been working on the Playmobil pyramids the last few days.  One I will keep pretty much as Playmobil made it except I've added a 4th side (it only comes with three; got the 4th on ebay).  The other pyramid is taking all the work because in addition to adding the 4th side, I'm also cutting off all the cute stuff Playmobil added to the side and I'm recovering those areas with Evergreen plastic rectangles/stone blocks so it will have a more classic look (I hope).  Right now I know that the boats on my Nile will include two of the Old Glory 25s Large Dhows (MCL10).  Several years ago I got hooked on steam river launches so I have some from Miniature Building Authority, John Jenkins, and Brigade Games.  I'm sure at least one of those will be included as well.  Really appreciate your interest.  Richard

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
Hammers, that's the beauty and adventure of a Pulp archeological dig; you just never know what you will find.  I should take this opportunity to tell you that one of the ideas I've "adopted" for my Pulp Egyptian archeological collection is your mummified adventurers.  They are great.  I would love to hear how you came up with the idea and how you have used them.  Really appreciate that you took the time to write.  I am a big fan of your work.  Richard

You mean this?:

I thought it was well within the frame of common popular culture reference:

There is sort of a how to here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=28848.msg347801#msg347801

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
Hammers,  thank you.  It probably is in the realm of common popular cultural reference.  The problem is I probably am not in the realm of common popular cultural reference.  It's a wonderful idea and beautifully executed by you.  I love it and really appreciate the background info.  Thank you again.  I am a fan.  Richard

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
Blimey.. Would love to get my sticky palms on one of those playsets...  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84