Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691368
  • Total Topics: 118390
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kickstarter Breach  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Kickstarter Breach
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
FYI:  Checked my KS account, and it seems legit.

From today:

On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and alerted us that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some of our customers' data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the security breach and began strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system.

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on your account.

While no credit card data was accessed, some information about our customers was. Accessed information included usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords. Actual passwords were not revealed, however it is possible for a malicious person with enough computing power to guess and crack an encrypted password, particularly a weak or obvious one.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you change the password of your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

To change your password, log in to your account at Kickstarter.com and look for the banner at the top of the page to create a new, secure password. We recommend you do the same on other sites where you use this password. For additional help with password security, we recommend tools like 1Password and LastPass.

We’re incredibly sorry that this happened. We set a very high bar for how we serve our community, and this incident is frustrating and upsetting. We have since improved our security procedures and systems in numerous ways, and we will continue to do so in the weeks and months to come. We are working closely with law enforcement, and we are doing everything in our power to prevent this from happening again.

Kickstarter is a vibrant community like no other, and we can’t thank you enough for being a part of it. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. You can reach us at accountsecurity@kickstarter.com.

Thank you,

Yancey Strickler
Kickstarter CEO
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Kickstarter Breach
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »
Don't you love it?    ::)   >:( 

Why aren't these kids trying to hack NSA?   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
If any hackers want to try to take over my bank account they are welcome to the overdraft.

I remember the house being burgled while I was on holiday once and they actually replaced my old TV with a newer one and tidied up a bit.* That wasn't good for my self esteem.

*This is a lie.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
If any hackers want to try to take over my bank account they are welcome to the overdraft.

I remember the house being burgled while I was on holiday once and they actually replaced my old TV with a newer one and tidied up a bit.* That wasn't good for my self esteem.

*This is a lie.

lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, TBC.
 :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »
I think it's a phishing attack. Legitimate companies don't put links in their "security breach" emails - those links take you to spoof sites, to get your information.

That's how the hackers win.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »
Afraid it is legit.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
Jep this is legit.
When you log in to Kickstarter there is a message with what has happened and a suggestion that you change your password.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
It is a legit report but Scurv has made a valid point.

Simple thing to do is NEVER click on a link when it comes to something containing passwords or secure information.

Just enter the site by typing into your browser as you normally would and continue from there.

Just to be on the safe side.
 ;)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 01:40:59 PM »
I think it's a phishing attack. Legitimate companies don't put links in their "security breach" emails - those links take you to spoof sites, to get your information.

That's how the hackers win.

I agree, generally not.  but if you have a KS account and login, you can verify for yourself. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
It is a legit report but Scurv has made a valid point.

Simple thing to do is NEVER click on a link when it comes to something containing passwords or secure information.

Just enter the site by typing into your browser as you normally would and continue from there.

Just to be on the safe side.
 ;)

Agreed, but I thought it was axiomatic not to click links on account emails. :D  Just login to the legit site and verify.  Or call.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »
I agree, generally not.  but if you have a KS account and login, you can verify for yourself. 

Well, yes. I suppose I could have expanded on that idea. Don't click links in emails; go to your account and check it out.

Paypal spoofs, bank spoofs, all very common.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »
Well, yes. I suppose I could have expanded on that idea. Don't click links in emails; go to your account and check it out.

Paypal spoofs, bank spoofs, all very common.

I dont know about you guys, but I have this great deal going with this Nigerian businessman.  It seems he represents the Prince of Nigeria and needed only 12,000 euro to free up 25 million!  I get a 10% cut for fronting the money!  I was supposed to get it about 10 days ago, but I'm not worried, this seems totally legit! :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »
I dont know about you guys, but I have this great deal going with this Nigerian businessman.  It seems he represents the Prince of Nigeria and needed only 12,000 euro to free up 25 million!  I get a 10% cut for fronting the money!  I was supposed to get it about 10 days ago, but I'm not worried, this seems totally legit! :D

That's me. Thank you for sending me your money.  lol