Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Moving to Guelph - Canada. Anyone?  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Moving to Guelph - Canada. Anyone?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
Well, finally i'm moving from my country to another less... crazy.
For nine months, staring from the 15th of March, i'll be resident in Guelph, Ontario for my master degree thesis at the Dept of Engineering!

Is anyone living there? Not the Department, just Guelph! I know a couple of good fellas living in Toronto, but it's not THAT near...

Any info and any contact would be really appreciated... especially players and modelers from Guelph! =)

cheers
Jack

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Moving to Guelph - Canada. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
Greetings Jack;
I live down the road outside London, Ontario.  Also, there is a great bunch of guys in Stratford just up the road from you. They get together to game on a regular basis at James Manto's place. I sometimes get up there to play...not as often as I would like. Contact James Manto at J and M Miniatures and tell him Robin mentioned him here:

jmminiatures@gmail.com

James also organizes Hotlead, Ontario's finest little gaming convention which is being held on the weekend of March 21 - 23. This is the weekend after your move. This is one of my favourite conventions of the year, and it is local. Check out the link here:

http://www.hotlead.ca/

Unfortunately I cannot make it this year due to other commitments. It is the first one I am missing in over a decade. I usually run a number of games (Napoleonic, FIW, War of 1812).

If you want to make a day trip to my place, you are welcome to come and game. Feel free to contact me privately here or through my website here:

http://www.battlefieldgamedesigns.com/?page_id=9

I look forward to hopefully meeting you in the near future and welcome to Southern Ontario.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
Robin seems to have covered it all.  Be sure to visit Hotlead, it'll be a good intro to the guys that game in the area plus you'll meet a few LAFers too!!

Oh and in terms of Canada - Guelph is very close to Toronto!!   :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:13:35 PM by Sterling Moose »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:11:55 AM »
Well, you already know I used to live in Guelph. :D

It's a nice little town! There's one gaming store (used to be three before the game scene collapse of the early 2000's  :'( ), but you can find more in nearby Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge (three towns that sorrrrrt of function as one city). K-W is about 15 minutes away by car or 45 minutes to an hour by bicycle.

Will you have a car while you live in Guelph? Guelph is small enough that all you need to get around is a bicycle and the bus system is pretty good for a North American city of its size (which is still probably not as good as a European town of the same size, but it might be close). But getting to other towns can be a little more difficult.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
I second that about Guelph being a great little town! I dated a girl ages ago who attended UofG and I used to love my monthly trips from Ottawa to Guelph to visit her.

-Todd

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
Thanks for all your response LAFers, you've been really useful!
Unfortunately i won't have a car there, i'll be quite stuck in the small town, but i kinda like the idea, after living in a big city for 24 years! :)

that said, what i'm more worried about is a refill of Silicon and resin for my works, do anyone knows if around guelph it's possible to purchase reasonably priced silicone rubber? if not, i'll bring a couple of kilos in my luggage! :D

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
You might want to pack some resin etc to bring with you just in case as finding supplies here in Canada is not always the same as in Europe.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »
I've found this, i don't know the shipping prices but they are located in canada, and their silicon prices is quite good!

http://www.sculpturesupply.com/list.php?sf=subcategory&vl=Mold+Max+20&cat=Rubber+Silicones

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
Good question, not sure what hobby suppliers would have that in Guelph, since there aren't too many hobby supply stores (probably 1-2 and I have no idea what/where they are anymore).

You might have to go over to Kitchener-Waterloo to get the stuff, or mail away for it.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
Can anyone give Sangennaru a ride to Hotlead?  He'll need a break from all that unpacking.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
uuu! a ride to hotlead would be great! actually, i'm ok with busses, but o don't know how they are there! :S

for the silicon i'll probably order it via mail, once there.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Judging by the weather, I doubt I'll be able to go to Hotlead myself. I don't think my motorbike's going to be on the road in March, not this year anyway.

In any case, I only have that Friday off, not the weekend.

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
Sculpture Supply Canada is an awesome place. I was just there on the weekend and they have pretty much everything you'll need.

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »
Welcome to the Great White North!
Hopefully you can get down (or is it up?) to HotLead
The website is hotlead.ca and they have a Facebook group as well
If you can, put a note in the facebook group. I know there are guys who come from or through Guelph.
I am in Chatham, ON - a couple of hours from Guelph - but I don't mind a road trip.
If you want to game sometime, let me know. Tam has friends in Guelph, so I'm sure I could convince her to take a drive.
Keith

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »
Hi there!

Enterprise Rent-a-Car is running a $9.99/day weekend rental special for their little economy cars right now. They have TWO locations in Guelph https://www.enterpriserentacar.ca/car_rental/worldLocationSearch.do

They will even come get you.

I also know a gamer lives in Guelph if you PM me your contact info I can pass it along and see if he is willing.

James
El Supremo/Head Doofus for Hotlead