Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Nefarious Schemes of One Fram Framson (update 6/2 - Awooga)  (Read 91686 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
It's just plain yogurt.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Well that's a rather roundabout way of guessing.

I suspect you've figured it out correctly... I think.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
From the original of course. Not the remake.

Naturally.

Franz Liebkind, as portrayed by Kenneth Mars.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
I have to say your sculpting looks exactly like him. Great work. This is going to be a fascinating league. Looking forward to the next one.................................

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
The Nazis are actually the only real full League I have planned in the immediate future and have turned into being quite a bit of work. In addition to minor conversion work and headswaps for some figures, I've given up on finding regular infantry that are a match for Copplestone minis after searching for months and buying more than few, so I am using some spare Copplestone figures and quite literally resculpting them all into wehrmacht infantry. It's time-consuming as anything but I'm finally getting exactly what I want! I will put up a picture of all the conversion work once it's done.

In addition however, I have a *lot* of civilians and random extras to do up, so they will be in the mix.

The biggest issue hampering games is actually our severe terrain deficiency, but I just want to work on the minis for now and knock off a good chunk of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:35:01 AM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Re: The Nefarious Schemes of One Fram Framson (update 3/1 - Some progress)
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »
Finally done almost all the Nazi conversions using mainly Copplestone Russians as the base. I now have something no one else has - Copplestone Nazis!

They're actually a mix though. There's a couple of 1:48 COMBAT figures in there, a single Scarab 1/48 miniature (most of those were terrible, sadly), and my Feldwebel was a Stalingrad promo figure by ebob (I modified his Russian ppsh 41 into an MP34) in. Most of the heads are GW (Empire or IG), though a couple of the infantrymen retain their original Copplestone heads. The tall valkryrie second in command is a DUST tactics figure with a GW Dark Eldar headswap (will be repainted to a conventional scheme instead of the Afrika Korps outfit the figure comes with). The leader is an Artizan figure. The stahlhelms are press molded off of the one good one I could find. The motorbike crew are Tamiya (they will both be fully removable) and once you swap the weapons, heads and arms/hands, the Tamiya bodies actually fit very well, though the detail's a bit shallow. The gear is all Warlord Bolt Action stuff, from the Blitzkreig plastic set (sadly the infantry were far too small for me to just use the damn plastic set and be done with it - sure would have been easier!).

The only thing outstanding so far is that I want to have a machine gun team, and I'm trying to see if I can source the two prone gunners from the Tamiya 1/48 german infantry box without buying the whole thing.

All told, I plan to have:

- Full infantry platoon mainly armed with Kar98s plus one MP36 (let's say they get some prototypes to play with *handwaves away the problem of the MP40 not really being widely introduced until the war had almost started*)
- NCO with MP34
- One MG34 machine gun team
- Gebirsjaeger Leutnant serving as wilderness & terrain expert as well as the team's sniper.
- Motorbike team with one MP36 (driver also technically has a Kar98 and I can replace him with an infantry figure if he dismounts)
- Officers, comprised of Oberst (Leader), Sonderführer Oberstleutnant (Sidekick), and clerk/secretary/translator.

They would cost too many points to field all at once (probably be close to 20 points), except in a really big game. But as recurring villains I want them to have plenty of play options and of course there's always a possibility that I can do a big scenario where they're all in play.

Were I to do it all again, I might have just gone with Tamiya bodies, GW heads (still using press-moulded or otherwise sourced stahlhelms), and Warlord arms and gear. Would be all plastic and fairly easy to assemble. The Tamiya stuff in particular is a dream to assemble and I dearly wish they had more 1/48 motorbike kits (this is literally the only one they make).

It's worth noting that of all the German weapon sprues out there, the Reaper 20th Century Weapons pack actually has the best-scaled ones to match Copplestone figures. Unfortunately you only get one Kar 98, one MP40, and one MG42 on it. Of course I wound up converting the existing weapons on most of these figures because that was far easier than any other option (this mainly meant cutting off the front half of the figures' Moisin-Nagants, and using wire and putties to make them look like Kar98s, as well as bending down the bolt. The end result is pretty decent - at least as good as the average Copplestone-sculpted gun).

I also have a couple of additional figures who will not be playable characters, but may serve as objectives or perils - a camerman and a fellow digging a trench (or, as is more likely in pulp, doing an artifact excavation), maybe a sentry or two. They don't need to be converted, but they're not based yet.

Finally, I am also heavily modifying a Matchbox 1/46 Bedford truck into some full scale transport for them, an Opel Blitz with all sorts of added-on bits and special modifications.

I could have just bought a Blitz kit, but the Bedford was only £9 shipped, whereas model kits are $35-$40 CAD and I figured I would be in for some heavy modification work ANYWAY, so what the hell why not. Fun fact: Both the British Bedford and the German Opel were based on a Dodge truck, using the same license-built engine. In fact, the three trucks were similar enough that during WWII, the allies could restore knocked out Blitzes by using Dodge and Bedford parts.

The dodgiest part is when I decided to lower the cab roof (as you can see here) to give it a profile more like the Blitz and also to make it look a little more in scale. Could have ruined the whole thing, but I've glued it now and it's turned out perfect! Once I get the grille sorted the rest should be easy goings. I'm also thinking that since I've gone this far, I may well add a driver. We shall see!

Oh, and to reveal the mystery from earlier, my Feldwebel is supposed to be Franz Leibkind (as played by Kenneth Mars):

As an added bonus I found out that "Pigeoneer" ("Brieftaubenmeister") was an actual real specialty designation in the wehrmacht...

lol >:D ;D :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:31:49 AM by FramFramson »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
Excellent work!  :-* :-* 

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »
I can't wait to see all that finished mate! Great stuff! :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »
I can't wait to see all that finished mate! Great stuff! :-*

That makes two of us.
 :D

Great work on that face, he looks spot on.
 :-* :-*

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
Perfect pulp league! Awesome figure selection and attention to detail there! The varied poses and kit looks very realistic.

Sweet chop on the roof! 8) you could have taken a little more out. Are you going to slam that suspension too and put some nice Mexican rugs in the back? I hope to see lots of patina on this rat rod ;)  ;D

Cheers
Matt

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Thanks guys.

Are you going to slam that suspension too and put some nice Mexican rugs in the back? I hope to see lots of patina on this rat rod ;)  ;D

lol

Maybe that's in the sequel, where they escape to Argentina.  ;D

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
Maybe that's in the sequel, where they escape to Argentina. 

But will they cry for me?

Valerik

"White woman, are you truly what you pretend to be?"
- -Mister Moto Takes a Chance

BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #373 on: March 03, 2016, 02:39:03 AM »
Maybe that's in the sequel, where they escape to Argentina.  ;D

You must! lol lol

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
Wow, that's some serious work has gone into those. I'm sure they'll lokk superb when finished.