Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 796
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress jazz age highlanders......and more!  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: Empress jazz age highlanders......and more!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
http://waziristanonafancy.blogspot.com.es/

lol lol lol

They are reproducing fast!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »
Third time around and they still haven't improved. The helmets look misshapen, the faces cartoony. Compare and contrast with the lovely work Mr Hicks has done on his own range of WW1 figures. The downed aircrew are OK.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Oh dear Carlos, that's a shame. Sorry they're not by Eureka so you won't like them. I now own some and let me assure you they are wonderful! I heartily recommend them to you!

Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
How silly. I actually own miniatures from Empress and others from the sculptor in question. I'm quite happy with both as it happens. I am really taken by the pre-release photos of Mr Hicks' forthcoming Great War range too if it comes to that.

In this case, the miniatures are not to my taste, which from my perspective is a pity, as I was looking forward to them. Their provenance is not the issue, it's the aesthetics of the miniatures. Alas, the snide remark was off target. Bit of a wasted effort if you are a fan boi.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
Sorry they're not by Eureka so you won't like them.
Compare and contrast with the lovely work Mr Hicks has done on his own range of WW1 figures.

It always pays to read the whole of a comment before replying.  ;)

Saying "I don't like them" and then explaining why is perfectly acceptable here. Having a personal dig at people because they care to mention that 'The Emperor has no clothes on', not so much.

Agreeing to disagree, explaining why the other person is wrong and indeed debating those points are all acceptable though.   :)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
Hi Arlequin

Thanks for that and I take your point. Much appreciated. Just to clarify it is not a good thing to criticise someone because they have a different opinion? Agreed and surely a really good rule for life in general.  ;) ( I can think of a few politicians who could learn from this :D).

If I also understand correctly posts that are critical of items is fine as long as the reasons given are well stated.

I can see on the thread concerning this release Carlos clearly states he does not like them and why.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63587.30

Carlos – “Bugger.... Much anticipated but disappointing. I really was looking forward to these. Oh well.”

Thats obviously fine, and part of the fun of this forum, but why was it then necessary to go on and make a snide and sarcastic comment about the possible release of a Laurel & Hardy pack? Surely this is simply a troll post intent on attacking the Empress release and the work of the sculpter Paul Hicks?  The comment certainly does not seem to fit into the explanation of "explained critical observation". Not in my book anyway nor, I suspect in the view of many other people?

Then to go in and post on another thread, and for the third time, the same attack is somewhat pushing it surely? The British Army refers to this as "Conduct Unbecoming". It certainly seems to conflict with otherwise civilised and gentlemanly nature of this well regarded forum.

Sorry if I appear to be going into "attack mode" (it's certainly not deliberate) but I just cannot stand bullies, especially when they have a fairly obvious agenda via their links to another manufacturer. I just like the playground to be honest and open.  :)

Regards to all

Sparrow.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
You really need to address much of that to Carlos, as good as I am, I haven't yet developed telepathy.  ;)

I'm also a bit lost as to where Empress vs Eureka comes into it too. As far as I know only Empress do figures for this?  :?

As for criticism, for each post and board the same figures appear in, it seems fair to allow the same numbers of praiseworthy/critical comments. I don't mod the other boards they've appeared on, so other mod's mileage may vary. Sure it seems harsh to make the same criticisms on the same figures in different posts, but if he'd repeatedly praised them across the same boards instead, I doubt we'd be discussing it.

Discuss, debate, agree, disagree, whatever... keep it civil and un-personal is all I ask. Let's face it, it's hardly Clarkson vs Vauxhall.
:)   

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:18:10 AM »
Oh Christ, don't tell me I'm up on a charge? It's been 30 years since I faced the last one. That was framed as 'conduct to the prejudice of good military order', in my case a failure to shave. Wonder what I'll get this time, another five days confined to barracks? I'll look bloody silly carrying out close order drill in full pack and webbing on my driveway. Hopefully, I won't have to fill the paperwork out myself this time.

I'm not really sure I need to further explain my views on these particular miniatures. Suffice it to say they aren't my cup of tea. I have been known to make the occasional acid remark, that is true. Call it a character failing, call it my own peculiar sense of humour, I'm not fussed either way. As Jim has pointed out, the right to provide a negative critical response, exists co-equally with the right to provide a positive reaction.

Interestingly enough, there was a recent thread on the Warlord 'Dad's Army' range, also by Paul Hicks, that was far more critical. The funny thing about that thread was that once the identity of the sculptor was revealed the harshness of the criticism perceptibly softened. Funny because they were the same miniatures and presumably suffered the same, alleged, flaws.

I have no beef with Mr Hicks, I don't know the gentleman and on the whole I greatly admire his work, he is one of the foremost sculptors of miniatures of our age. Contrary to what is implied in Sparrow's earlier post, I have no issue with Empress Miniatures. Much of their stuff is excellent. Some, like these figures, are less to my taste.

As for the accusation that I am a bully, I find that passing strange. Who am I bullying? A succesful sculptor who is probably the most prolific player in the market? Hardly, I doubt my views make any headway one way or the other, his works stand or fall on their own merits. Potential buyers? Again the accusation is just silly. Oh, some chap on LAF said he didn't like them, I shan't buy any, I'll melt down my existing collection and move to Ecuador....

For the record I have no commercial affiliation with Eureka miniatures. I am merely a customer, like quite a few others here. Even if I was, I'm not quite sure what end it would serve, criticising these figures. Eureka don't produce a comparable range and nor to the best of my knowledge and I can claim no particular insight, are Eureka planning such a range.

I won't speculate wildly as to your motivations or affiliations, Sparrow. That would be unbecoming but if you really want a 'level playing field' and genuinely want gentlemanly conduct to prevail, then I would suggest it behoves you to apologise for your unfounded accusations.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:24:25 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Yeah... Something told me it wasn't about gentlemanly deportment after all. ;)