Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2.5 D dungeons  (Read 7407 times)

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
2.5 D dungeons
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:50:53 AM »
I made these pieces for a dungeons game:

Very cheap and easy to do:

I still have to paint it...

I am using this method:

http://www.thedmg.info/

Is anybody doing something similar?

Emilio

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: 2.5 D dungeons
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:51:16 AM »
Is that just foamcore (ie. compressed foam between two sheets of card)?  It looks nice, though I find it tends to bend up a bit when painted.  I think a lot of people have done similar projects.  If I was doing something like that I'd be tempted to grab up the box of WOTC D&D dungeon tiles though - cheap and very nice (and a ton of bang for the buck).

What size squares are you doing? Looks like the walls infringe on the floor space a bit.  Keep us posted as this goes along though - I looove dungeon builds.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »
No, is card. I donīt know how is called in english. Is the card from big parcels and boxes, like the one is used for carrying TVīs and the like. Is very strong, and I hope it doesnīt warps when painted.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:07 AM »
Corrugated card board.

Search DMSCRAFT on youtube for the original master of cardboard dungeons.

I made a heap of these- they are soooo much better to play on than walled ones!
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »
The squares are 6.5 centimeters side. Each will be four one inch "tiles" when painted. As explained here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7gd8rP7Xo&list=PLw-XImXo4zfOKxI_NWJpESKHiX71yyLXU&feature=c4-overview-vl

Carboard, is carboard  :D :D :D

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
Corrugated card board.

Search DMSCRAFT on youtube for the original master of cardboard dungeons.

I made a heap of these- they are soooo much better to play on than walled ones!

That is!!

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Our Pathfinder GM bought into the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter and while they're nice to look at they are kind of a pain to play games on because of the higher walls... and just the limitations of room size and shape.
I much prefer the terrain featured in the DM's Craft videos and elsewhere. I made a couple of HUGE airships for our Earthdawn game... we use them for ship to ship battles... and it took me about an hour. There are rowing benches and stem/stern platforms, places for stowage... but still the basic 2.5D flatness that gives information and atmosphere without lots of vertical clutter. Easy to store away too.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
Ships, you say...

::) ::) ::)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Really eficient way to make dungeons. I made my own (3d) and it took ages to be completed. This way I would have been able to build a dungeon 3 or 4 times bigger, with a good overall look and playability.

I'll keep the idea for future specific thematic dungeons. Thanks for sharing the info !

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:40:05 PM »
Hi, looks good so far and I almost think my own plans should feature lower walls. How high are the Dwarven forge ones? What hight would you guys consider easy to access?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »
I debated talking to my buddy about doing a big set of laser-cut stuff like this.  Would be easy to do, and in turn cheap (obviously not as cheap as cardboard).  I bet there would be a decent market for it though.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
I debated talking to my buddy about doing a big set of laser-cut stuff like this.  Would be easy to do, and in turn cheap (obviously not as cheap as cardboard).  I bet there would be a decent market for it though.

Infinite Crypt ran a KS campaign last year for laser cut dungeon pieces:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736875383/infinite-crypt-modular-terrain-for-underworld-arch?ref=search

I am not a backer (chose to buy into the Itar's Workshop resin set instead) but the idea is a good one. Due to start shipping in May so should start seeing reviews soon. the KS pictures seem to be more "construction" sets than simple modular walls/floors.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
I meant super-simple, obnoxiously cheap...ie. flat pieces of MDF with stone squares laser-cut into them.  No walls, though perhaps a simple edge piece like the cardboard ones shown above.  The problem with Infinite Crypt was that their prices were borderline outrageous.  I don't know if they re-did their thing by the end, but originally it was more than dwarven forge stuff considering what you got.  Shame too as their system looks pretty slick.

I just meant bargain-basement MDF tiles for cheap.   lol

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
I really like the idea of the walls - it just seems to make it more "realistic" than flat cardboard.

It has got me wondering about using pre-printed tiles (such as from Fat Dragon Games) and gluing them to the floor between the walls. That would mean the only painting would be on the walls, so any warping should be very minor. While the paper tiles are not proper 3d, I don't think it would matter too much, and the quality of today's paper tiles is more than adequate for my needs.

I feel a test of this coming on. Just what I need, another project ;D

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:21:18 AM »
The nice thing about cardboard is it is totally disposable and quick to make.  It also does not have to look that great, as is played at a few feet distance.

For mine I used masking tape to hide corrugations and textured the surface with Acrylic heavy body texture paste stippled on with sponge.
Another great trick is using bark to make stone walls.