Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Vietnam VPA infantry - ideas?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Modern Vietnam VPA infantry - ideas?
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
I'm looking at using my new Empress PLA and US special forces in a northern Vietnam setting; a near future Re-hash of the '79 war, if you will. I've been trying to find out a bit more about the modern VPA, including Google translations of Vietnamese sites (it's an interesting experience). The modern VPA infantryman doesn't seem to look too different to the 1990s PLA infantryman, but that's my highly limited knowledge of a new epoch eyes!

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ground-warfare/50430-vietnam-peoples-army-8.html

The link above shows some of the best imaged I could find to date. Any thoughts on suitable figures to match Empress (28mm)?
Thank you?

Edited thanks to autocorrect changing VPA to GPS and PLA to PAL. Thanks autocorrect
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:49:31 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Modern Vietnam GPS infantry - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
I think your best option will be to paint the new Empress PLA in Vietnamese uniform colours.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Modern Vietnam VPA infantry - ideas?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
I think your best option will be to paint the new Empress PLA in Vietnamese uniform colours.

I did consider that but the VPA don't seem to wear the same body armour and seem to be armed mainly with the AKM and the vz. 58. which don't look anythikng like the current PLA standard issue. I realise I'll never get an actual spot on match though!

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
I'd be tempted to use the Eureka ANP figures in helmets for the VPA:

http://eurekamin.com.au/news.php?newsid=EFluFEVFZuaPokBadY

They've got Soviet weapons and PASGT helmets. You could hide the body armour with extra web gear and a Type 07 camo paint job?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
I'd be tempted to use the Eureka ANP figures in helmets for the VPA:

http://eurekamin.com.au/news.php?newsid=EFluFEVFZuaPokBadY

They've got Soviet weapons and PASGT helmets. You could hide the body armour with extra web gear and a Type 07 camo paint job?

That's not a bad call at all! Flak body armour may not be out of the question in a combat situation, just maybe not current PLA gear. Thanks Earther.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
Seems like you could use NVA regulars from the Vietnam war as second line troopers/militia, only they are in some dark green colour as opposed to khaki. With growing relations with the U.S its likely they may end up with a lot of ex-U.S army kit from the 90s/00s.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »
Probably your best bet is to use the Eureka Musorians, that's what I have done. AKMs are still the principle weapon, body armour seems relatively uncommon and many still use Soviet steel helmets. PLA miniatures look nothing like the Vietnamese.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:24 AM »
I was actually thinking of doing some thing similar. Using the Musorians as rebels in china or as VPA. How well do the Musorians scale up to the empress moderns?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:40 AM »
I was actually thinking of doing some thing similar. Using the Musorians as rebels in china or as VPA. How well do the Musorians scale up to the empress moderns?

They are smaller but then it was oft remarked that Chinese volunteers serving with the NVA were generally taller and more robust. If it bothers you creative basing should overcome any problems. It doesn't bother me particularly but your mileage may vary.

Last year I found some interesting photos of Vietnamese defences on the Spratlys. The larger islands have some interesting kit, dug in ZU-23 AA and even the turret of a PT-76 being used as a fortification.

If you are worried about your VPA not being equipped with the latest uniforms and kit, just remember that when China invaded in 1979 most of the Vietnamese opposition was, at least initially, a collection of territorial, second line and militia units, the regulars mostly being in Cambodia at the time.

I did suggest that Empress might look at Vietnamese as credible opponents for their PLA but the suggestion was pooh-poohed. Apparently armies that will, in all likelihood, never face off are preferable to those with an established history of conflict. Allegedly they won't sell and for all I know they are probably right.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:20:45 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
Square rig options. I have painted one or two of the Musorians this way.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/vietnam/spratly-monks-04132012164145.html/vietnam-spratly-sailors-305.jpg/image

In similar vein, the Kriegspiel USMC might make reasonable proxies for Filipino marines as might a number of Vietnam War ranges with head swaps. If the Ebob/ Recon 28 range ever does eventuate, I see potential there.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
Neat, scale only really bugs me when it comes to things like the weapons being over sized of under sized. Becase people come in all shapes and sizes.
I am just at 5'8 in height and most of my buddies in the army were at least 5'11. I was the shortest guy in my platoon for about a year.

And we had one guy in the company across from us that was so big that he had to have the sleeves of his uniforms tailor made. Also carried a Saw as his personal weapon because the M-4 looked like a kids toy In his hands, and he had to exist a C-130s door side ways because he was just to wide across his chest.

I am like the VPA idea more and more. To bad they didn't make any crew served kit for them. Might have to borrow from the Taliban range.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
Ask Nic for some of the seated driver figures that go with the M113, they make great seated crewmen, swap heads with a Muso and Bob is the proverbial sibling of one of your parents. I've used them for everything over the years, Portguese jeep drivers ZU-23 crew, etc, etc.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Now that's using the old gray matter.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
Some great ideas guys. I would never have thought of using the Musorians, I was only vaguely aware that Eureka did them. Thanks!