Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Maybe it's just me!  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
Re: Maybe it's just me!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
Immortality awaits...

I haven't bought any figs since May as I vowed to finish my 15mm Japanese first before starting something else. At the moment I am 4 limbers 4 trucks 6 Artillery pieces and a handful of tanks away from that but in the meantime I have been going back to the other unfinished projects and starting a new project out of the stuff I already had...

I have also started work on upgrading finished projects by rebasing/ improving their basing.

I have so much unpainted bits and pieces that I really should look at the Bazaar to shift some of the "never going to happens".

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »
So partially helped by the fact that Mrs Muncehead has been made redundant my figure purchasing is on pause.

As it stands, in theory.... and Skyrim permitting, I have my 70+ Empire of the Dead figures on the way soon, plus some Trolls from the Arcworld Kickstarter at some point.

Then:
28mm:
~40-50 Westwind Vampire Wars and Cossacks
~About the same fantasy figures for D&D/skirmish
~A pardulon 3 storey house to build
~a scratchbuilt Carpathian 3 storey inn project to get past the first two wall sections
~miscellaneous items of scatter terrain plus the 4'x6' terrain board to play it all on

15mm:
~assorted scifi troops
~around a dozen tanks and troop carriers
....oh and around a dozen 15mm scale mechs to paint too
~enough 15mm buildings and road sections to cover a 4'x6' table that need painting/basing (20-30)

6mm
Somewhere in the garage 2nd Punic wars armies to finish painting and basing for Impetus

I too shall live forever....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:08:09 AM by muncehead »
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
What's a finished project  ???

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
The bathroom..... for now... I see what you mean :D

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »

Nice one!

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
You cant die, if you have unpainted figures.
  Yep, I keep a few half painted figures around at all times as my insurance policy. 

...Okay, more than "a few."   ;)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
Heh, I think I can keep half the street immortal simply by proximity...
And I've nowhere near the Mt. Lead* of some people I know (Mine's a mere hillock by comparison).

*: Although named Mt. Lead, it is commonly exceedingly rich in strata of other materials such as plastics and resinous substances, as well as featuring unstable slopes of various materials used in wargames terrain manufacture.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »
Heh, I think I can keep half the street immortal simply by proximity...
And I've nowhere near the Mt. Lead* of some people I know (Mine's a mere hillock by comparison).

*: Although named Mt. Lead, it is commonly exceedingly rich in strata of other materials such as plastics and resinous substances, as well as featuring unstable slopes of various materials used in wargames terrain manufacture.

I use to refer to my hoard as the 'Lead Alps'.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
Here is something I did, before loads of bad karma set in over the last two years, and I intend to restart in January. :o

1000 finished items added a year, yes, a 1000, that's right and I'll explain how.

I divided an exercise book into months and left space to write in 80 or so additions for each one to make the 1000, slightly less than 3 a day.

So, what did I call an addition?

a painted 28mm figure
a painted 15mm base of figures
a piece of terrain or some type of game marker
rules, QRSs, new special dice, cards, etc
printed and laminated 2d terrain.

Now, obviously this includes pre-paints, Clix and commercial scenery, etc. 

Last night I painted 25 BA markers, for instance, so I added 25 to my total, already.

This may not work for everyone, but it creates a productive aura on me.  8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »
Actually, logging production is something I keep thinking I ought to do, but haven't ever systematically done.  I doubt I'd make 1000 pieces per year, but it would be nice to be able to look back at what I've finished, and when.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
Here is something I did, before loads of bad karma set in over the last two years, and I intend to restart in January. :o

1000 finished items added a year, yes, a 1000, that's right and I'll explain how.

I divided an exercise book into months and left space to write in 80 or so additions for each one to make the 1000, slightly less than 3 a day.

So, what did I call an addition?

a painted 28mm figure
a painted 15mm base of figures
a piece of terrain or some type of game marker
rules, QRSs, new special dice, cards, etc
printed and laminated 2d terrain.

Now, obviously this includes pre-paints, Clix and commercial scenery, etc. 

Last night I painted 25 BA markers, for instance, so I added 25 to my total, already.

This may not work for everyone, but it creates a productive aura on me.  8)
Quite a nice idea. However, when i started in this wonderfull hobby/addiction i made the mistake to think that i "must" do things. That does not work with me being a kiond of free spirit. It was partly why i stopped painting in the late '90's. So when i re-surfaced a couple of years back i made the (wise) decision to do what i "want or like" to do. ANd that works like a treat. And as i have only two projects there' s always something that i fancy doing.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 02:59:56 AM »
I keep track of what I buy and paint in a simple text file per year and I do update my LAF signature with it as a way encouraging my painting. Other than attempting to finish projects to game I don't really keep a schedule.

I rather like the recent club movement on LAF as a nice way of encouraging more painting.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
I found out that I like the collecting miniatures part way too much and that not buying more than I have painted does not really make me more happy. Some fellow gamers and me even just enjoy sitting together with some beers, good music and looking through the unpainted lead pile, dreaming about how we would paint the miniatures and admiring the quality of the sculpts/casts.

Every year I try to keep a tally of how much miniatures I've painted and I'm happy if it's about 4 a week or more, which is about 1-5% of the lead pile growth each year. I'm afraid though, with this years absurd amount of miniatures that came in (Megaminiatures closing lead to a large order, multiple kickstarters and completing two WFB armies for tournaments did not help), I don't even dare to calculate the total...  Still I'm happy :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:04:48 AM by Braxandur »
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
My signature file is my reality.  o_o