Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN in Numbers  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: IHMN in Numbers
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »
It's a shame you feel constrained like that Craig.
For a ruleset like Fog Of War where the emphasis is 100% competition gaming it's understandable, but I would have thought less so for a set like IHMN.  8)
Games are enjoyable things and variety and 'Unofficialness' lies at the heart of the best adaptations. I see the love of (or lust for) 'Official' books as an unfortunate side effect of GW.  :(

It's more a case of not wanting to disappoint people with a faulty or incomplete generator. We know that for many the ability to create your own companies is very important, so costing these is also important. If the generator is not perfect that could lead to people relying on something that lets them down.

As I have said we will publish a generator closer to the release date of SDRS.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »
It's more a case of not wanting to disappoint people with a faulty or incomplete generator. We know that for many the ability to create your own companies is very important, so costing these is also important. If the generator is not perfect that could lead to people relying on something that lets them down.

As I have said we will publish a generator closer to the release date of SDRS.

So there will not be more supplements after the next one?  Not that such a decision brings anything but joy to my pocketbook and heart (I hate constant updates of a system.)

Law of Unintended Consequences applies:

You publish a generator - a supplement is written - now you need to update the generator - someone doesn't know that - they can't create their team member(s) because it doesn't include the supplemental material - You 'achieve' the  "... a case of not wanting to disappoint people with a faulty or incomplete generator..." - you tell them they need to replace or update their generator - back to "... you publish..."

Not that you should never generate such a tool (pun unintended) but there are potential consequences that you should consciously decide are worth the cost.  I see these type of events from my job almost daily somewhere in the world where it truly was "unintended" for events to unfold as they do.

A classic major example is WW1/WW2/Cold War/today.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
So there will not be more supplements after the next one?  Not that such a decision brings anything but joy to my pocketbook and heart (I hate constant updates of a system.)

I can neither confirm nor deny your conclusion. Charles and I shall not write supplements just for the sake of doing so, like some series we could mention but won't.

We shall be talking to our publishers about a number of options  and projects going forwards and once we have an agreement we shall let you know :)

Offline Roddy

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
No-one has built anything like this for Excel?

Don't know about Excel but I do know that someone was/is working on a battlescribe catalogue file (great app).

http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/additional-material/
Just scroll to the comments section and find the user Nysse

Offline freewargamesrules

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
I have written a calculator in Open Document Spreadsheet format in about an hour very easy to do. ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:36 AM »
I have written a calculator in Open Document Spreadsheet format in about an hour very easy to do. ;)

Have you tested it? We recommend taking ten companies at random, noting the fact that some companies in IHMN are incorrect as shown in the Errata.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »
Did a quick bit of work on an Applescript that will take all the tables that you create for the characters in your company and then build a printable list of them. This is also the first version of my company for tomorrow's game

Offline freewargamesrules

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
Have you tested it? We recommend taking ten companies at random, noting the fact that some companies in IHMN are incorrect as shown in the Errata.

Written 2 versions original rule book version and rules with errata version. Need time to test it now so won't put it on my blog until fully tested.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »
Written 2 versions original rule book version and rules with errata version. Need time to test it now so won't put it on my blog until fully tested.

I shall look forward to it Pete  :D