Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A New Merchantman In The Caribbean! [New - Marines]  (Read 16900 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: A New Merchantman In The Caribbean! [New - Marines WIP]
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
my first pic is just to show that I'm not new to lace painting (which is something I rather enjoy), you can see the current state of my Brit/Portuguese army of the Peninsular War, but all of this in 15mm ...

but painting in 28mm you really have to work out the detail, so this is my current state of the British Marines, which are giving me more hard work than the usual XX century khaki clad soldiers: the pipping is green because the only reference I found for Marines of the early XVIII century had these colours:

If you put your ear against your screen you can ear the 15mm British infantry waiting to be painted saying:
"Oi you lousy Bastard, just stop painting those Damned Lace lovers and turn your pencils to us real men! At least WE go to war and get killed by real ammo and not by some strange tropical disease or rum overdose!"

so ... back to my painting station and listen to some more Czech Republic GrindCore and see if these folks are finished by the weekend! :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
Love the look of your marines and their officers :) - what are your plans for them? Are they for LotHS?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »

so ... back to my painting station and listen to some more Czech Republic GrindCore and see if these folks are finished by the weekend! :)

Well, I've never tried that, but it seems to be working well for your painting!   :-*

My current favourite painting music is Disturbed and Rammstein.

I've tried nice quiet relaxing music, but it doesn't seem to work as well as a good old dose of metal  lol

I like the brown undercoat - I use that for LOTR Orcs, Trolls etc but haven't tried it with historicals for some reason. It should work very well for Colonial khaki. Why have I never thought of that before  :?

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
What fantastic ship, just chock full of great character, well done.

Paul

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
I like the brown undercoat - I use that for LOTR Orcs, Trolls etc but haven't tried it with historicals for some reason. It should work very well for Colonial khaki. Why have I never thought of that before  :?

I've started using a brown undercoat on some Plains Wars Indians that I'm working on - mainly because there's quite a lot of skin. I decided to try a dark grey undercoat for some other figures and that seems to be alright ( I was out of black one evening!).

Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »
thanks!

they will be for LotHS mainly ... but if any other game appears, these guys won't mind too much about it!

Regarding the brown "undercoat" I guess this is some sort way of painting I got from painting ww2 minis... and since I'm not a very skilled painter (just a very patient one) I just keep doing what looks right to me, and try not to invent too much! - just keeping with old habits.

But I usually spray undercoat in white, then give a an overall flat brown paint job, and then a black wash in top of that in order to hide all white spots I forgot to paint. Since Brown is an organic colour it goes well with all flesh and natural tones, and also red and yellow! for some greens, whites and blues I sometimes give a base coat of black in those areas and start block painting from there!

PS: relaxing music doesn't work for me!  lol

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »
I have an Osprey somewhere that has one plate of marines for the period. It lists green, yellow, and possibly white (IIRC) as correct facing colors. I went for green on my own as well.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
this was my reference... from the Funcken books!

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »
As I Promised! :) 

Now I only need to make a decent set of guns and paint the gunners :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: A New Merchantman In The Caribbean! [New - Marines]
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »
That looks really impressive. The marines look intimidating!  >:(

Couple of questions.

The marines and crew are Foundary, but I don't recognize the officers (the two swordsmen, axeman and captain). Where are they from?

Is this a starting crew for LotHS? Does the swordsmen represent lieutenants and the axeman the midshipman?

Great work again.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »
The marines and crew are Foundary, but I don't recognize the officers (the two swordsmen, axeman and captain). Where are they from?
They are also from Foundry, from the marlburian range:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/MARLBURIAN/2/index.asp
Used the standard bearer as an officer... and with that pose he shall be called Cpt. Darling :)

Is this a starting crew for LotHS? Does the swordsmen represent lieutenants and the axeman the midshipman?
most likely yes! and the captain will be the Darling Guy! I've also painted the drummers, that can be used as midshipmen! or some other thing!

Thanks again! :)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:34 AM »
Marvellous stuff, you just need to add a royal cypher in white to the front of those marines' caps.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo