Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 32 mm British Infantry Figures  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Looking for 32 mm British Infantry Figures
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
I am looking for some ~32 mm British infantry figures to represent the Royal Sussex Special Duties Detachment that accompanies Lady Simone Grey whenever she is abroad from the family estate.  The Victoria Miniatures Victorian Guard (see below) look like they will work, but I was wondering if anyone else makes figures of the right size that would be a little more historically accurate (particularly in regard to their rifles)?  As I understand it, by 1895, khaki was being worn overseas, but the traditional red coat was still in use for home duties.  Would the Victorian Guard look reasonably accurate if I painted them in home service red coats (& manage to do something about the las rifles)?

Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 12
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
Re: Looking for 32 mm British Infantry Figures
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:33 PM »
hey, Im going to use the Victoria Miniatures for my army. I ordered last week. I think to overcome the issue with the gun, im going to paint the stocks in wood...I also have some of the Reaper miniatures Brits. They only have six poses but are kitted out for late service. Very nice figures and at the 32mm mark...

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
Don't know about 32mm, but Ironclad do Brits in home service rig, line and guard regiments, in 28mm:

http://ironcladminiatures.com/en/25-british-victorian-sci-fi-figures

and a nice heliograph team too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
Dystorian Warf figures are 32mm are they not?
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
Craig: I think the Dystopian Legions figures are something in the realm of 35 mm - whilst nice models, they're annoyingly huge.

Fastolfrus: In order to match the ladies in my company, the figures need to be ~32 mm, whilst I could fight a 28 mm company without things looking too odd, mixing sizes within my company would upset my sense of aesthetic niceness.

[General point - this profusion of scales from 28 mm to whatever the Dystopian Legions figures are is somewhat irksome.]

Stepman3: Those Reaper figures look quite good - I hadn't realised they were 32 mm.  I'm now torn between the more accurate Reaper figures & the greater flexibility with the Victoria figures (which include the grenade launcher & heavy weapon crew) that would let me expand to a full British Rifle Coy list if I ever fancied leaving Lady Simone & her maids at home.  I'm in no great rush to order them (I've got at least 6 months' of Flames of War modelling before I get to my IHMN Coy), once your Victoria figures arrive, would you mind posting a short bit about them - are the castings good, how do they stand alongside your existing figures, etc?  (Those are some nice figures, incidentally, your company looks remarkably similar to my planned company.)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
The Redoubt Miniatures Home Service figures are pretty big and might match

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
Good shout, I wasn't aware of their work - I've e-mailed them to ask what size the figures are.  If they're ~32 mm I think we may have a winner as Home Service headdress is definitely the ideal solution for my Coy.  Thank-you for the pointer.

Edit - They got back to me (very promptly) and, unfortunately, the figures are 28 mm (I'm not sure I've cursed the profusion of similar scales enough yet).  It looks like I'll probably go with the Victoria Miniatures figures - although I may try getting a Redoubt figure & seeing if I could do a head swap onto the Victoria body (& maybe swap the las guns with Redoubt Martini Henrys).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:04:01 PM by Genghis »

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
Good shout, I wasn't aware of their work - I've e-mailed them to ask what size the figures are.  If they're ~32 mm I think we may have a winner as Home Service headdress is definitely the ideal solution for my Coy.  Thank-you for the pointer.

Edit - They got back to me (very promptly) and, unfortunately, the figures are 28 mm (I'm not sure I've cursed the profusion of similar scales enough yet).  It looks like I'll probably go with the Victoria Miniatures figures - although I may try getting a Redoubt figure & seeing if I could do a head swap onto the Victoria body (& maybe swap the las guns with Redoubt Martini Henrys).

I don't think Redoubt know their own figures...  The only ones I have left are the Home Service Artillery Crew figures (up for sale...) and they are 32mm to the eye.

Mike

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »
I don't think Redoubt know their own figures...  The only ones I have left are the Home Service Artillery Crew figures (up for sale...) and they are 32mm to the eye.

Mike

Cheers Mike, I've taken a punt & ordered a dozen figures - as long as the size matches the figures I have for Lady Simone & her maids, the Redoubt Home Service figures should be exactly what I'm after.  (I even identified a couple that I might be able to convert into a slightly more exotic heavy weapon crew.)