Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: True Detectives anyone else picking up on the mythos?  (Read 9969 times)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Re: True Detectives anyone else picking up on the mythos?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
I've heard something similar, third hand... :)
Also that season two writing is in the works, but details won't be released anytime soon.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
I have been told, but not verified for myself, that this series may be an anthology with each season involving new characters and stories that are not dorect tie-ins with the first

That is my understanding as well. The next series is supposed to be set in the railway industry

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
Yup, same writer, new directors, new cast, new story.  What I like about this sort of format is its more likely to attract top-tier talent, as they don't have to commit to much more work than they might for a film.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
Yup, same writer, new directors, new cast, new story.  What I like about this sort of format is its more likely to attract top-tier talent, as they don't have to commit to much more work than they might for a film.

Exactly... With MM taking the big O for a dramatic role, i can see alot of doors being opened to him for additional $eriou$ films... TV might take a back seat for the future.  (having said that, I'd stack the TD series against 98% of the big screen cr*p that gets produced...)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Yup. That's pretty much what I understand. Different story, but many of the same players will play different roles. A modified repertory company approach.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
I am glad it was not a one off. Truly I am enjoying this series more than anything else I have ever seen.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
True Detectives was one of the best US TV Series I have seen in ages. Very good actors, great story, great location and I am convinced it was a Mythos story too. Could specify it here but that would spoil it for those who havent seen the show yet.
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »
The whole series is now available on demand on Sky....
So its easy to re-watch. Also makes it easy to watch it in one hit, back to back no adverts.
( which, does give a slightly different skue to some episodes and i think re-enforces the mythos undertones... )
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Mr Papafakis

• Librarian
    • Mr Papafakis
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
Yeah, what a great show. I was similarly disappointed when it ended too.

Look forward to the new incarnation. Anyone know when it's due to be released? Have they even started writing it yet?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Writing is definitely underway (two scripts already submitted to HBO), and there's supposed to be a casting announcement coming this week.  Fairly safe to assume it'll air next January, as HBO seems to be in the habit of placing their series in the same time slot each year.

If you're looking for a similar feel in your mythos reading while you wait, try out Laird Barron or Thomas Ligotti.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed it. If you haven't read John Connolly yet then try and catch some of his work. Very similar style and sometimes much heavier on the weird.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
Finally broke down and bought the series...watched two episodes last night. Fantastic. Very light on the mythos but very engaging. Great acting and a well told story. Can't wait to see where this goes. And (it pains me to say it...) Matthew McConaughey is absolutely riveting. Go watch this!!!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
Yeah, the guy is just perfect for the part.

Glad you are enjoying the ride, it's a good one!  :D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
I loved it. I watched it twice already. The acting and writing are superb. The mythos thing is a red herring  that never really goes anywhere, but it's an interesting allusion to the tiny minority of people, like LAFers, who recognize it. What I found even more interesting (and substantive) was the inspiration from the  Courir de Mardi Gras, or Creole Mardi Gras, which is based in reality. Definitely a Cthulhu scenario in there somewhere.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courir_de_Mardi_Gras

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
Much as I loved the show it seems the script involved a fair amount of lifting, not least from some lesser known Alan Moore. 
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/10/swipe-file-finale-of-true-detective-and-alan-moore-and-gene-has-top-ten/

The ligotti connection I *thought* was voiced often, however it seems the timeline belies a slightly less honest ethic according to some observers.  Given the awards it was nominated for it does appear a lot of the 'famous' dialogue is so close to Ligotti's that it almost seems wrong to award the show's writer....

http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/did-the-writer-of-true-detective-plagiarize-thomas-ligotti-and-others/