Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Spanish Civil War as a SA setting  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
The Spanish Civil War as a SA setting
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »
Hi,

I am toying with using the Spanish Civil War as a SA setting and was wondering if any one knew of material that would support it at as a background.  Labyrinth gives a glimpse of what could be there and WW2 is swimming with the stuff but general googling is yet to find a motherload for the SCW.

Regards

Jim

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: The Spanish Civil War as a SA setting
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »
I am confident that the rules are able to support just about any time period...that said I know nothing about the Spanish Civil War.  :?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
I've considereds omething similar myself. There's a film called "Dagon" set in modern day Spain and based on a Shadow Over Innsmouth. The port is called Imboca (a rough translation of Innsmouth apparently). I wanted to move it back in time to just prior to the SCW to coincide with the "Pulp" era.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Hi Jim,

Sometime ago my gaming bud, "The Somnambulist", suggested The Devils Backbone as a good film to watch.

It is set in an orphanage against the backdrop of the SCW and it certainly would fit in with the supernatural aspect of SA. It's also directed by del Toro.

RMZ

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
Well, Spain sure has hidden relics gathered by the Inquisition, and the german Gondor Legion may have had covered up archeologists commissioned as military advisors. At least that's the lineout I planned but never worked out.  lol

Then there could be cursed burying sites from the Punic Wars, descendants of Visigoth cannibals, underground heretic Saracen cults.

Or think an alternative Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls but instead of an Englishman connecting with the resistance to blow up a bridge something really sinister it to be stopped.

Not to mention if they would have to retreat to the mountains and encounter a hidden village inhabited by halfbreed cultists.

Coincedently, yesterday I finally found this NewRay plastic russian MIG airplane toy after searching for at least two years. I was looking for it to use as a crashed republican plane where everybody is looking for.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:24:37 PM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
Yes I rather liked the Ahnenerbe following around the Condor Legion as a plot device. Robin Laws and Kenith Hite are working on a Dream hounds of Paris suppliment for Trail of Cthulhu which I hope will have lots of ideas that I can use as well .

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:07 AM »
Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone are both dark lovelies from the great mind of Guillermo del Toro as is Cronos. He is also responsible for bringing Hellboy to life on the screen. There are numerous instances to introduce Cthulhu into SCW for a non-purist history player. Morrocans as hybrids supporting a Franco's fascists. Condor Legion destroying relics through dive bomb air raids, or Republican forces calling on the old ones to defeat their enemies. there is definitely potential. Even H.P. Lovecraft fighting in the International Brigades alongside Orwell.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »