Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Necromunda Spyrer Matriarch/Patriarch Proxies?  (Read 12551 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Necromunda Spyrer Matriarch/Patriarch Proxies?
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
I am currently stripping the old paint job on my Necromunda Spyrers with a plan to repaint in the near future.  For a sense of completeness I am hoping to get some sort of proxies for the Matriarch and Patriarch models from the mid-2000s to include.

I am not a fan of the Matriarch and Patriarch models and even if I was they are OOP and go for an unreasonable sum on the second hand market.  I also think that the Ma and Pa desgins lost some of the sleek, hi-tech look that appeals to me in the regular spyrer design.  

So I am looking for suitable proxies.

Im looking for two figures:

1) a large, heavily hi tech armoured long ranged type, ideally with multiple visible weapon systems.
2) a slender hi-tech armoured close quarters type, ideally armed with bladed weapons.

This Reaper guys are reasonable proxies for Pa, but they dont look as ritualised hi-tech as I would like:

These Black Hat guys are cool, but again, look a little too utilitarian.

Ludex here (also from Black Cat) has a bit more of the ritualised "cool" factor, but is a little light on armour for this purpose.

I was thinking that there might be something in the Infinity range that might suit something like these...

...but I dont really know anything about the rather large Infinity range.  I am open to suggestions regarding miniatures from any manufacturer for this purpose.

Does the LAF hive mind have any thoughts on the matter?  I would love to hear some suggestions if you guys have any.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:20:54 PM by cheetor »

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
Re: Necromunda Spyrer Matriarch/Patriarch Proxies?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
The big heavy leader suit from the Corporation by Mantic might suit your Patriarch needs as well. It's got some of the same lines as the other Spyrer figs and would be in Proportion.

As for ma...well the alternate unreleased version of her had her with claws etc. You could always look for something from the Reaper line... lady Death? The Howling Banshee Phoenix lord or one of the Dark Eldar female figs (like the Sybarite) with an appropriate helm (from the new Dark Elf Executioners maybe?) might be a good start as well.

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline consectari

• Librarian
  • Rat King
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
For a cheap and simple solution with heavy emphasis on ritual, you could go with plastic Chaos Space Marine parts or some Space Marine chapter.  Add some guitar string with weapons on the end and you've got a pretty close version of the Patriarch.

Achilles is on the right track with some combination of Eldar and/or Dark Eldar plastic parts for the Matriarch.
All my best ideas are someone elses

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
I'd have a look at the Dark Eldar range. Maybe even a kitbash of Wyches and standard types. Otherwise there are some characters that look like they could fill the role. Bits sellers would sell the individual components.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Don't forget the old Void range. There were several exo-suit types and others that had more of a Still-suit appearance. Scotia Grendel has them.
I was never convinced by the Spyrer models. The artwork and designs were nice but the mini's could have been done much better. I agree mom and dad here really do look dated.

You might also want to consider one of those resin proxy-warhammer bits producers that do seperate heads and bodies.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
How about this guy for the Patriarch? The first time I saw him, I immediately found him to completely match the whole concept of a Necromunda Patriarch:

And this (not so) little lady for a Matriarch?

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
The unreleased one that didn't fit in a blister is quite nice. That could be made from a Dark Eldar with spider type limbs.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »
I do love any excuse to use that big weird floaty guy :) Give him some Mechadentrites and he'd be ace.

Some of the old Confrontation Dirz stuff might work well for the Matriarch? The old Sasia Samara would be perfect (version on the left).

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »
Oh and for those curious; the unreleased mini we're referring to is this... Too tall for a blister sadly :(

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Then maybe this girl might be a match too?

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »
You guys rock, thanks for all of your help with this.

The big heavy leader suit from the Corporation by Mantic might suit your Patriarch needs as well

I have one of those in the Deadzone box actually.  The cape puts me off.  Although not perfect, the Spyrer designs were some of the few 40K model groups that looked vaguely plausible... vaguely.  The cape on the Corp Peacekeeper looks too impractical for how I imagine a Spyrer - even a Patriarch Spyrer on safari - to hunt.  A good suggestion though for sure, thanks Achilles.

As for ma...well the alternate unreleased version of her had her with claws etc. You could always look for something from the Reaper line... lady Death?

The spyrers are all stylised to an extent, but it isnt very overt (except for the huge honking wings on the Yeld).  Part of what I dislike about the"proper" Ma figure is that she has a totally ridiculous "Grim Reaper" thing going on.  I want to avoid that.

For a cheap and simple solution with heavy emphasis on ritual, you could go with plastic Chaos Space Marine parts or some Space Marine chapter.  Add some guitar string with weapons on the end and you've got a pretty close version of the Patriarch.

Thats true, but a baroque style isnt what I am looking for either (I know that I am being a bit picky here, buit dont take it personally :) ).  That filigree element (or whatever it is) on the official Pa model is at odds with how "I" see the Spyrers on the hunt.  Pa's outfit is almost like the Spyrer dress uniform.  Im more interested in the self sustaining, wet-ware interfaced, vaguely anime hard suit idea than the traditional medieval-knight-in-space (chaos or otherwise) image.  Again, thanks for your help consectari.

I'd have a look at the Dark Eldar range.

Lots of potential there.  The revamped DE range is very nice.

How about this guy for the Patriarch? The first time I saw him, I immediately found him to completely match the whole concept of a Necromunda Patriarch

I absolutely agree that he has that Dune look, that interstellar royalty look in some way.  I painted my one up as an Imperial Navigator:

Its hard to imagine what a poor bastard like that guy might get up to for kicks in the far future, but I can see him being involved in some morally repulsive safari of the poor.  I dont see him as being the guy hanging downhive for months on end to prove something to himself though.  As an Imperial Noble/planetary governor type, that figure is hard to top.  Another great suggestion that doesnt quite suit my picky view of the subject.  Thanks anyway Daeothar.

And this (not so) little lady for a Matriarch?

Again, very close, but I am looking for an off-the-peg model that looks slightly more badass than the regular Spyrers.  Although Helder here is quite a cool model, she doesnt quite fill that criteria.  I have no doubt that a memorable Matriarch could be made from that figure though.

The unreleased one that didn't fit in a blister is quite nice.

Its ok, but is a bit literal in its interpretation for my tastes.  Scary doesnt have to mean skull-face, just ask Skeletor ;)  I assume that figure is next to impossible to obtain anyway, so I will rule it out I think.

Some of the old Confrontation Dirz stuff might work well for the Matriarch? The old Sasia Samara would be perfect (version on the left).

Oooh, thats very close to what I am talking about.  Is that model still available?

Then maybe this girl might be a match too?

Close again, but a little too future medieval.  I like that the Spyrers look reasonably high tech, by Grimdark standards at least.

Don't forget the old Void range. There were several exo-suit types and others that had more of a Still-suit appearance. Scotia Grendel has them.

Those ranges - the Syntha in particular- have the same 90s interpretation of miniature high-tech too.  I think that you might be on to something with Void area23 :)

How about Ma:

..and Pa...

Ma looks close combat and badass and echoes the Malcadon to an extent, while Pa has obvious close combat and ranged capacity (the ranged in particular looks a lot heavier than anything else that the spyrers wield, which is appropriate) and also look quite abit like the Orrus.  They both have similar lines to the existing spyrers (something that the official Ma and Pa do not) which is a big draw for me.

Those two are my current favourite choices, with the Dirz Sasia Samara coming close third depending on availability.

I was never convinced by the Spyrer models. The artwork and designs were nice but the mini's could have been done much better. I agree mom and dad here really do look dated.

Agreed on all counts: the spyrer models never lived up to the concept.  The models have a retro charm that I like and think that I will enjoy painting however, nostalgic old fart that I have become, so I want to tie the Ma and Pa proxies in with that aesthetic.

The Void ranges are a particularly good call, thanks :)

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
Good luck dude! I think Scotia Grendel still has the old Void stuff!

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 07:05:45 AM »
Scotia Grendel has these, although you've probably seen them already:

Old Warzone has this one, although he might be too low-tech and unplausible. I like the pompous regalia though:

Iron Wind Metals (tiny pic though):

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding Manatic.

Scotia Grendel has these, although you've probably seen them already:

I like the first if those models (I own one for another project actually) but I find that the second one looks a bit odd, like it featured in that old Bjork video.  The digitigrade layout of the legs makes the first model a cyborg rather than a guy in a suit though, which rules it out for me.  The second figure is definitely largely artificial too, so again not quite what I am looking for.

Old Warzone has this one, although he might be too low-tech and unplausible. I like the pompous regalia though:

As you say, not what I am looking for here really, but I do quite like that.  It looks a lot like a retro veresion of the new Forge World Mechanicum Myrmidion Destructors to me (sorry about the massive image):

Iron Wind Metals (tiny pic though):

Its peculiar how similar that Iron Wind model is to the original Pa Spyrer.  Im not really into that design, but it is a really good match.

Good luck dude! I think Scotia Grendel still has the old Void stuff!

I dont know if SG has all of it, but it has those models alright :)

Thanks to everyone for your help.  Hopefully I will have my Spyrer project painted and up for critique here over the next couple of months.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
Oh man...the Patriarch and Matriarch...why did you have to remember me of those awful sculpts :D. But thanks for reminding me of the Spyrers which were ACE! Glad to still have a full gang of them.

For the Patriarch I think the Nomad Lizard TAG works well. It's a suit, high tech and has cool weapons. And I think it fits in well with the Spyrers in look:

Sacred Blade had an AWESOME 40mm female Cyborg, perfect as Matriarch (albeit a big large):
http://www.greensgallery.sacredblademiniatures.com/greensgallery/CyborgG2.HTM
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”