Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF comes to today...  (Read 13705 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: VSF comes to today...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
More specifically, somewhere in this forum are images of a massive airship assembled by the Scottish contingent of BLAMers

Yep, that's the one I had in mind, though I've not found it yet; and I'm probably the one that included a link in the 'nef sticky, somewhere.

As I recall, much of the bag was from cereal boxes.

Woof!

as to helium vs Hydrogen - Hydrogen is safe enough, the Hindenburg catastrophe was a very small chance and it was media inflated. Noone counted how many planes dropped from the sky afterwards as long as the airplane industry was flourishing.....

AND, while still a bit causally controversial, I think the fabric doped with partial rocket fuel (powdered aluminum) is a bit suggestive.

Though it might have worked with a rigid frame airship (Zeppelin) instead of just a blimp.

Have to suggest the frame already present WAS the problem; shattered frame as projectiles into the bags would have downed a dig almost a surely. The bag and the rest of the frame DID descend slowly.

By the way, the subtext appears to me to include a bit of Brit-bashing. Sorry to our friends on the far side of the pond.

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: VSF comes to today...
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
AND, while still a bit causally controversial, I think the fabric doped with partial rocket fuel (powdered aluminum) is a bit suggestive.

I recall a mythbusters episode on that, assuming they got their info right (not always so) it showed that the fabric paint used was indeed very much to blame.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)