Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Republic of Dacinba - ImagiNation in 20mm  (Read 1066 times)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Republic of Dacinba - ImagiNation in 20mm
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
Hello chaps, has been a while since I managed to produce anything hobbywise, been quite busy at my current work with medieval stuff (shameless pluck but check out the following if you are into castles, I know I am  :D http://www.nba.fi/en/museums/olavinlinna_castle)

Anyways, to kick myself forward or rather back into the hobby, I am starting yet another project, this time an ImagiNation project in 20mm. Below is the fluff part of this project, maybe if you care to check it out and comment/critisize it, it would be much appreciated.

I currently have a strong platoon worth of modern Brits from Elhiem, they will represent the inbound "occupation" force. Then I have two and half squads of modern Russians, they will represent the QRF sent to boost the Zebimbean forces, which will be represented by Iragi army and republican guard minis (I have ordered around 25 of them for starters). Besides the afore-mentioned I still need to get minis to represent the MND irregulars/guerrillas.

I have started painting the Russians and I hope to have test examples for show in couple of days.

I will be using Force on Force rules but have pondered on getting the Skirmish Sangin rules for smaller encounters...

Scenery wise I currently haven't got much, yet, but I have ordered the (Airfix?) airfield control tower kit (seen it here recently so I nicked the idea, sorry), Revell African house (bought from Verderer) and so on. Need to do airstrip, lots of vegetation and such for the first scenario that I have in mind to start of things in Dacinba.

Anyhoo, here's the text (enjoy?).

Republic of Dacinba / Province of Dazimba

Republic of Dacinba / province of Dazimba (also spelled as Dacimba or Dazimba, depending on the local dialect) is located on the southern Atlantic coast of Africa. The republic has claimed independence since 1992 but it is still internationally held as a semi-autonomous exclave of People’s Republic of Zebimbe, a former colony of Portugal that gained its independence in 1974 and experienced an on-off state of civil war that saw involvement not only by different national but also by international forces (mainly South Africa, Cuba, Soviet Union and after the collapse of the latter, Russia) that lasted until 2001 when international peace-keeping mission launched by the UN managed to end all hostilities except in the province of Dazimba where a low-intensity guerrilla war has been going on between different factions since the claim for independence in 1992.

Dacinban Conflict

The Dacinba conflict is a separatist insurgency of the Dacinban National Movement [MND] in Dacinba Province against the government of Zebimbe. Dacinba is an exclave bordering the People’s Republic of Zongolu (mainly supported by China) and Democratic Republic of Zongolu (mainly supported by South Africa, UK and France).

Rich in oil, it produces 45% of the total Zebimbean output and several international corporations operate in the country. So does the partially state-owned Zeboil, a key corporation for Zebimbe.

The conflict started several decades ago, as both Zebimbe and Dacinba proclaimed their independence from Portugal in late 1974, but the first declared the second as part of its territory, invading the exclave in March 1975. The provisional government, led by the MND, was overturned, Zebimbe gaining control of the main cities while independentist forces of MND moved into the countryside.

There was constant fighting for decades, as the Zebimbean Civil War dragged on for nearly thirty years, until 2001, while Dacinban independentist movement experienced a number of splits. A ceasefire was reached between Zembimbe and MND-Renovada, while MND-FAC denied such a treaty, supporting the Republic of Dacinba government in exile. According to the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization, Dacinba is considered under military occupation, reinforced in recent times by Zebimbean forces.

International intervention in the conflict has been limited until now, with previously only Portugal offering only a mediation role and letting the MND rule a delegation in Lisbon. Meanwhile Russia hosts part of the Dacinban government in the exile, the vast majority of whom are Russophones. Besides, one must not forget the presence of the Russian oil company Rossoil in the country. Despite not having a direct link with the region, Norway has also participated in the conflict, hosting some talks between the sides in recent years, while the United States and China have kept a close eye on the situation, for the sake of some of their oil corporations in the region, because of the growing relationship between Zebimbe and China. Cuba reduced its presence in Dacinba drastically after several years of Cuban intervention in the whole affair of Zebimbean Civil War on behalf of the Zebimbean government after the collapse of the Soviet Union and this left a momentarily power vacuum in Dacinba, since while the Cubans were involved heavily in the military matters, the Soviet Union had provided mainly civilian support in form of teachers, technicians and medical workers to help the population of Dacinba in their daily lives. It is estimated that after the official, yet sudden Cuban withdrawal and the collapse of the Soviet Union some 4000 Cubans and 8500 people of ex-Soviet Union states were left behind in Dacinba.

Already in the early stages of Zebimbean Civil War both Cuba and the Soviet Union were blamed by their opposition of forming a new form of colonial rule and with that a new top-tier social class in the whole Zebimbean society. This seems to be partly true in the contemporary Dacinban society where people of Cuban and especially of Russian origins and their descendants have managed to wrestle many local businesses under their control, thus forming the wealthy mid and upper classes of society who have now lot to lose if Dacind was to be joined under the full Zebimbean control.

Economy of Dacinba

Consisting largely of tropical forest, Dacinba produces hardwoods, coffee, cocoa, crude rubber and palm oil. The product for which it is best known, however, is its oil. Conservative estimates are that Dacinba accounts for close to 45% of Zebimbe’s oil production, estimated at approximately 300,000 barrels per day, and it is estimated that oil exports from the province are worth the equivalent of US$55,000 per annum for every Dacinban. Yet, it remains one of the poorest provinces of Zebimbe. An agreement in 1996 between the national and provincial governments stipulated that 15% of Cabinda’s taxes on oil revenues should be given back to the province, but Dacinbans often feel that these revenues are not benefiting the population as a whole, largely because of corruption. The private sector, particularly the oil industry, has both affected and been affected by the secessionist conflict.

During the early days of Dacinba's struggle, the oil companies were perceived to be sympathetic to, if not supportive of, Dacinba’s self-determination cause. The strategy used by the separatists to gain international attention, was most evident in 1997 and 1999. During 1999, MND-R kidnapped six foreign workers (two Portuguese and four Russian citizens), but released them after several weeks, having failed to attract the attention of the international community. MND-FA also increased its activities during 2002 with the more widely publicized kidnapping of two Portuguese workers employed by a construction company, while FLEC-R kidnapped another five Russian civilians. These hostages were not freed until October 2003, following the diplomatic intervention of the governments of France and Egypt.

Geography and demographics of Dacinba

Dacinba (also spelled as Dazimba or Dacimba) is both the capital and municipality, located on the northern coast of Dacinba with overall population of approx. 158000 people with a noticeable minorities of Russian speakers and pass-port holders (18%) and people of Cuban origin and their descendants (7%). Rest of the people are fairly even divided between people belonging to three major original tribal kingdoms that existed before the Portuguese occupation. The international airport of Dacinba is actually located along the coastal highway connecting

Zebile is a town and municipality located in the south-eastern Dacinba with a population of approx. 15000 people. Most of the population have cultural background closest to Zebimbean culture, thus giving Zebimbe a firm support in this area, a thing causing the guerrilla action take place in both rubber plantations and the illegal diamond mines located in the municipality as all the factions try to wrestle the area under their control.

Zoco Bou is a town and municipality located in the central Dacinba with a population of approx. 35000 people. Zoco Bou is the second most populous area of Dacinba, located in the heartland of it and commanding the central plateau zone that has two major rivers of Dacinba running on its northern and southern sides. A true melting pot of mixed population base with many different cultural backgrounds present. Has been mostly peaceful during the recent years.

Cazinba (also spelled as Cazimba) is a town and municipality located in the southern coast of Dacinba with a population of approx. 17000 people. Cazinban lowland is famous not only for its white sandy beaches and river delta but also for two new off-shore oil fields discovered some years ago. The town of Cazinba is a blooming town, many new-comers lured by the possibility of work offered in the oil industry. Tribal cultural background of the local people divided quite evenly between the three major tribes. Town also has a tiny yet important (and rich) multinational enclave for the foreign workers and their families, brought in by the oil industry.