Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yaqunito FFL in miniature  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Yaqunito FFL in miniature
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Yaquintos French Foreign Legion is one of my all time favorite games. 20 years (or so) ago I bought the Stone Mountain Miniatures set that recreates it and had great fun with it. Of course I stupidly sold it off for much needed funds. Now I am planning on redoing the game using Blue Moons French Foreign Legion and Arab figures.

I have figured out what I need, figure-wise, and am planning an order for early next week.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Yaqunito FFL in miniature
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
Can you give some background on the Yaquinto game for those of us who remember the publisher but not the actual game?

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
I sure can.

Yaquintos French Foreign Legion was one of their "album" games. It came in an album type box that opened out to reveal the map, which in this case was the inside of a FFL fort and surrounding desert The rules and counters fit into the album covers.

There were 3 squads of 10 legionnaires, a Captain, lieutenant, and Sgt Major, vs 60 Arabs (5 tribes of 12 figures). You could put some tribes on horseback, the Legion also had a mg and 75mm gun for specific scenarios, of which there were several that you could play.

The game itself was skirmish level. Each figure had a melee number, a shoot number, and a move number (which was the number of squares it could move). All combat was using D6s. Stone Mountain Miniatures used to sell a set of figures and a fold up fort for the game.

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:24 AM »
Tom,

That is one of my favorite games ever. What are the chances I could get you to run it at FOG Con I in Pekin at the end of May?

Jim

Zombies make me poop!

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Hey Jim,

I guess everything depends on how fast I could get everything done.

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:56:40 AM »
 If I can help you out in any way just let me know. I have a copy of the game and I converted it to 28mm about six years ago. Like I said, it is one of my favorites.

Jim

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
Jim, how (and what) did you make the fort out of? Did you scale it up or what? I am ok with figure painting. My big letdown is terrain building.

I am thinking about mounting the figures on 1" stands to have room for their melee & shoot numbers, and character names. When I did this years ago I renamed several of the characters after my close gaming friends.

If I mount the figures on 1" stands I will probably need at least 1 to 1 1/2" sized movement squares.

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »
Tom,

When I made my fort I made it out of pink insulation foam covered with light weight wall spackling (Red Devil makes the best). That and several coats of paint was all it took. I did not put squares on the fort itself. I counted every square as 1" and just converted movement and ranges from squares to inches. Much easier to make the terrain and I have never had a problem with the game. As far as the bases go, I used 1" square ones. All you really need is enough room on the back edge for their name. Then you make a cheat card for each squad/tribe that has each name and their melee and fire numbers along with a space to note any other info you might want to include like who has a rope or dynamite. Also if you just put a number on the back of the base, then you could have any name you wanted on the corresponding sheet number.
    I also have a version of the rules that are a little bit more in depth and use a d10 for everything, have wounds, and other things I have come up with to add to the basic game. I ran it at the CITW meeting in Peoria last year and several of the guys from Bloomington played it.

Jim

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 01:35:08 AM »
Tom,

How goes the fort? Hopefully I didn't put you off too much by my last rant.

Jim

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Hey Jim,

It's not going at the moment. Real life intruded a bit and I was laid up for almost a week with a nasty sinus/ear infection and didn't feel like doing much of anything. I did finally send in an order to Old Glory for all of the 15/18mm figures that I will need to recreate the project.

Tom

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
It's a great game! I have French Foreign Legion, Swashbuckler, and Adventurer, which is the SciFi version of Swashbuckler.