Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691098
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: Vaultventures - A Postapoc Boardgame - (Preview Vault Entrance p.54)  (Read 163146 times)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Fallout: Vaultventures - Fallout Boardgame
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
One thing to consider... might a redesign where the doors can be lifter out vertically be better for practical game play? If not, how did you envision these functioning?

I had a similar thought when I first saw the pics, however, he made them so 2 would fit back to back. creating a gate with a gap on top to slide a door in would be the solution, but because of all the (beautiful) details that would be a very wide gap and probably spoil the view.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:14 AM »
The terrain bits are gorgeous.

I want to share some anatomic criticism of the raider but I can imagine you see it. The breasts seem to start a bit high, the shoulders are a bit flat etc but it looks the part, anyway!
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
You guys are totally right. The System with the door is suboptimal for a boardgame, while in the PC game Parts of  the Door went in the floor. But to achieve the original Design I decided to build it as close to the InGame Doors as possible and make the whole Doorframesection removeable from the Boardsegments. That approche leads to the possebility to remove the Door from the Bottom which avoids ugly looking Doorframes.

The Pictures below showing the Way it will work. The whole Doorframe is still WIP and the parts youve seen so far are Just parts to complete a whole Wallsegment which will be casted as a single part in a new mould. The Red signed areas are parts where I`ve still to do more work to make it fit better together.

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
I'm still thoroughly depressed by the sheer quality of the work!!  :D

You are right in that it's a pain of a design to fit into a working frame without it being hugely wide.

My intent is to modify the design of the dor slightly, giving it a narrower top down profile. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to cast - They'll be pretty thin so will have to be made of plastic to maintain a degree or rigidity.

Still, watching you work gives me lots of ideas, things to think about, etc.

Can hardly wait to see these bits combined into your first room!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
In a game its easier to remove doors from the top as it doesn't (usually) require for the whole door frame section to be lifted up. Now if your doors aren't connected to an adjacent floor piece that shouldn't be a problem though, nor is there the issue of models being misplaced as you're using a grid system. However if removing the door from the top of the frame compromises the detail, I suppose your current way of doing it is the best way to go. The door looks great as it is right now in any case. =)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Another option would be to create 2 versions : an open doorway and a closed one. While you'd just need to replace the element when opening or closing, it would mean creating more pieces.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Zizi The 2 Wallversions - Solution is my Plan B if anything other won`t work  lol

Atm. I´m working on some experimental Concrete Textures for the Mainwalls in the Vault. I love those Wooden moulded Concretetextures and tried to reproduce those textures in 28mm Scale.

What you think guys?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:44:13 AM by DELTADOG »

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
Nice, but it reminds me of a concrete bunker and in my mind those have a horizontal planking texture.
I googled images of concrete with a vertical planking structure. didn't find much but what i found would suggest using smaller planks.
I guess it's a quastion of taste. Personaly I'd rotate those panels 90°.

My 2cts.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
It whould also be easier to get the shadows right if they were to be rotated 90 degrees.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
I think vertical is fine, but the ones I've seen normally use plywood sheeting - and thus is wider. The texture in the resin looks good though.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
I assume its plaster due to its roughness.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
You guys are a great help! i think I will use both styles. The Vertical one comes out more better! What you think?

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »
I like the horizontal one better, but both looks work. Amazing work on the door btw!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
I've never seen concrete forming using vertical boards, but plenty with horizontal boards, so the vertical set looks a bit odd.

Just my 2cents. Your work is inspiring, so please carry on.  :-*
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
Have done some minor building parts. Good news, ive decided for the horizontal Concrete  lol you guys are right it looks better.

Then I´ve recycled some old bitz to a metal riffled wallsegment. That will be casted and the resinparts will be modified to get 2-3 unique Wallsets.
I´ve found a small steel beam in my bitz box which will be used for covering works on the gaps between two concrete walls. Another Steelbeam has been scratchbuilded and is a more or less exact Copy of the Main Vault Steel Beams in FO3.
The stuff left from that thing, are the parts of the first furniturepart, the Fo3 Steelrack. Hope you like if you find some bugs tell me its not to late before moulding.