Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pursuit into the Wild - LOTR/Hobbit AAR, on blog  (Read 3752 times)

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
Pursuit into the Wild - LOTR/Hobbit AAR, on blog
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:48:28 AM by jscottbowman »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pursuit into the Wild - LOTR/Hobbit AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
Nice. Thanks for posting.

This is an example of why I try not to play with named heroes: Gandalf is cut down and that's the end of the LotR story.
Unfortunately I have not come to any solution to this problem of gaming logic. Of course I know the argument that he really isn't dead, just "knocked out" or whatever but somehow that never sits right with me...

Still, I enjoy following your AARs. Keep them coming.  :)
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Just alternative universe battles. In this universe Mordor probably won.

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:33:18 AM »
Nice. Thanks for posting.

This is an example of why I try not to play with named heroes: Gandalf is cut down and that's the end of the LotR story.
Unfortunately I have not come to any solution to this problem of gaming logic. Of course I know the argument that he really isn't dead, just "knocked out" or whatever but somehow that never sits right with me...

Still, I enjoy following your AARs. Keep them coming.  :)
I know what you mean, but there is the other side of the coin too... If Gandalf the Grey falls at this point in the tale, does that mean Gandalf the White enters earlier? and what are the implications then...
I quite like the thinking through of the implications to the story of events like this!

The classic one is, what happens if none of the fellowship die at Amon Hen and they remain intact?
- they dont awaken the Ents, nor go to Rohans aid, who are then defeated by Isengard?
- Boromir perhaps convinces them to stop by Minas Tirith for a rest, with disastrous consequences if Denethor does not let them leave..., the ring trapped there, or worse used by Denethor/Boromir...
-The party continue on their way to Mordor , bereft of Gandalfs aid, and are mostly likely eventually overwhelmed by force, their numbers making sneaking through too easily spotted...

I love the story, and pondering all the what ifs !

The next scenario, could be our last for a short while as I now have to start completing models and/or scenery to play the next scenarios... keep watching though!

Offline steharan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
I've been pondering the same issue regarding playing out the Fellowship scenarios, in one of our trial games on Wednesday I was constantly worrying that Aragorn would be slain by the Witch King (we were playing out Weathertop). As it happened the wraiths were tied up long enough to expend all their will points without managing to slay any of the Hobbits so we weren't too concerned. I guess to others this may seem like a ludicrous concern however I guess it depends on how much emotional investment you put in the game.

I guess that's where the Battle-companies rules come in as you create your own heroes around the LoTR themes and slot them into the storyline as you see fit.

Either way, a great AAR Scott and more inspiration to drive me on with my own LoTR project.
Thanks

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
Like reading these but (and I'm going to make myself look stupid here) what does AAR stand for, keep seeing it in loads of threads  ???

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »
After Action Report? Maybe? Perhaps? I have to admit I don't know for sure but it would fit...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Like reading these but (and I'm going to make myself look stupid here) what does AAR stand for, keep seeing it in loads of threads  ???

Yes, it stands for After Action report.
It's a bit of modern US military jargon / euphemism that somewhat tragically has caught on amongst wargamers recently in the mistaken belief that it makes them sound like butch professionals...   ::)

It's what we used to call a battle report. But 'AAR' appears somewhat de rigeur these days...

Pass the sick bag...
;)

Anyway, back on topic...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
If it makes you feel better, this one still Googles "xrules battle report" if looking for some inspiration and such!

I guess AAR is a space saver if nothing else.  :D

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »
Yes, as others have said, AAR = after action report...

I picked up the term after playing a lot of Flames of War over the last 18 months or so...
I just find it a handy abbreviation, and quicker than typing 'Battle Report' each time... ;-)

I mean no annoyance by it...

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 02:47:12 AM »
I've been pondering the same issue regarding playing out the Fellowship scenarios, in one of our trial games on Wednesday I was constantly worrying that Aragorn would be slain by the Witch King (we were playing out Weathertop). As it happened the wraiths were tied up long enough to expend all their will points without managing to slay any of the Hobbits so we weren't too concerned. I guess to others this may seem like a ludicrous concern however I guess it depends on how much emotional investment you put in the game.

I guess that's where the Battle-companies rules come in as you create your own heroes around the LoTR themes and slot them into the storyline as you see fit.

Either way, a great AAR Scott and more inspiration to drive me on with my own LoTR project.
Thanks
Thanks Ste, yeah I know what you mean about emotional investment! ;-)

We just played the same scenario the other night and I hope to get it up on the blog tomorrow...

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
Yes, as others have said, AAR = after action report...

I mean no annoyance by it...

Doesn't annoy me, just didn't know what it meant  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Pursuit into the Wild - LOTR/Hobbit AAR, on blog
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »
It annoys the hell out of me, but I don't hold you responsible jscottbowman  :) - everyone's at it.
I'm only sorry for derailing your excellent LOTR thread with my whingeing.

'AAR' is just one of those 'in-vogue' bits of military jargon that wargamers hit upon from time to time.
Personally I prefer the old-fashioned clarity of 'battle report' to the weirdly non-specific euphemism of 'After Action' report.
But it clearly makes a lot of people happy to be able to apply the latest obscure, hi-faluting jargon from the US military to their toy soldier games.
So my grumping about such slavish following of fashion certainly isn't going to halt it in its tracks...
Like all fashions, it will fade in time. I hope :)  

And now, back to the LOTR!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Pursuit into the Wild - LOTR/Hobbit AAR, on blog
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
Nice LOTR reports on your blog! I love your Amon Sūl (and hobbit-themed birthday cake)!

I also enjoyed your ponderings re: what happens to the story when Gandalf falls. Throwing around and playing those "what-ifs" are fun ways to enhance the uniqueness in one's game world, while still being in a universe one loves.

Jevenkah