Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Finding character names to match my figures  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Finding character names to match my figures
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
I have assembled a team of "Tarzan figures" to make a team and am uploading pictures for photbucket so you can see them.  I have uploaded the 'other members' of the Company potentially

I am looking to have each of them be "Tarzan/Jane/Boy" [or an allied/sub-member member of the company] but wanted to give the "main" figures unique names (only one Tarzan, one Jane, etc.) and name the others with other literary character names.

Examples:

Korak; Tanar; Sheena; Jungle Jim; Mowgli; Tam, Son of the Tiger; Kaspa the Lion Man, etc., you get he idea.

See http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62921.0 for the base resource I am drawing from.

Looking at the figures (yes, most are unpainted and none completed,) what suggestions might you make for names?  It need not be one of the examples on the list in the other thread but along those lines - you can be creative...

Not all the characters will be on the table at one time but usually one of the "Tarzan/Jane" pairs would lead the company.

Character selections

Supporting characters:

Animal Supporting members:

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espaρa,  Las guerras de las Amιricas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Re: Finding character names to match my figures
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
You need "Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion" and "Judy" ...

:D
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Phineas

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »
Hi, I also have the Mad Scientist from Reaper, though I'm just watching Craig's video interview where he was pretty stern about the fact that Chornoscope mini's are certainly not the sort of thing you would find in Victorian Sci-Fi.

I feel quite bad about it.

What were your thoughts on how she would fit in to the Companies theme?

Cheers,

Glen

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:46:23 PM »
Hi, I also have the Mad Scientist from Reaper, though I'm just watching Craig's video interview where he was pretty stern about the fact that Chornoscope mini's are certainly not the sort of thing you would find in Victorian Sci-Fi.

I feel quite bad about it.

What were your thoughts on how she would fit in to the Companies theme?

Cheers,

Glen

To me her "gun" could be an arc pistol or electro-static Burst Generator.  The metal hand was the bigger problem since I don't see an Arc Generator on her to power All-Electric Limb prothesis or the Arc Pistol and I want all my characters to be able to "run" if needed.  

As for "... Craig's video interview where he was pretty stern about the fact that Chornoscope mini's are certainly not the sort of thing you would find in Victorian Sci-Fi..."

Well, let me be polite and say [being serious, not channeling Pappy Boyington character in the TV show Baa Baa Black Sheep,] with all due respect, "Bovine Fecalith, sir,  ;) this is not a matter of Steampunk Madness but it is a matter of finding a description that fits the appearance into VSF!"   :)

I do understand his feelings on this - it has slipped through several times in his posts here - but the foremost figure on the IHMN rule book allows clearly some latitude in the introduction of other manufacturer's figures that channel steam punk.  Tod-truppen introduces fantasy into the game, (just a different flavor zombie IMO,) as does demons/demonic wolves.  I tend to agree on keeping it as VSF "reality" as much as possible myself (hence my preference for the Mexican Rebels over Enforcement Companies (with Aztec priests summoning Lesser Demons.) That said, I prefer to find a way to explain the Steampunk appearance within VSF "norms" and personally avoiding the extreme Steampunk looking figures.  I find her acceptable as just the kind of woman who would retire to the jungles of Africa to continue her research in an environment that accepts her (in her mind) peccadilloes - after all she (in her own words) still "dresses as a Lady - not some techno-whore."   ;)

Just IMNSHO, YMMV.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  Games are like children - once they are released (grow up) you cannot control where they wend in their journey.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:48:12 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
I can see where Reaper's Dita, steampunk Witch, or Belle, Steampunk Heroine, might seem out of place in VSF but not so much the female mad scientist...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »

Glen,

Just ignore me  :D 

I am an old chap who likes miniatures with a certain decorum, which does not mean everyone else has to  lol
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
I have two Mad Scientist figures. One is in Scotland Yard's very special branch and the other is Gert Scully in Annie Diamond's mob. The figure is fine. As for the steel claw, make something up. In the Very Special Branch that's an Edison Electro Truncheon modified to fit over the hand. Damn cunning these scientists. In Annie Diamond's mob it's Gerty's glove for throwing the nastiest sort of grenades. Wouldn't want to spill it on herself! Maybe the jungle is so humid that she has to earth herself using the glove before firing the arc pistol?
Could two of the figures be Conan and Red Sonia?

Offline Phineas

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
...I have Belle too...

To me her "gun" could be an arc pistol or electro-static Burst Generator.  The metal hand was the bigger problem since I don't see an Arc Generator on her to power All-Electric Limb prothesis or the Arc Pistol and I want all my characters to be able to "run" if needed. 

Did you, like me, think she would come with the cool generator thing on her base in the picture on the Reaper site?

She could be a mad scientist in Africa trying to enlarge monkey brains or something, why not give her a monkey lab assistant that carries the generator?

The daughter of Herbert Spencer?

http://www.victorianweb.org/philosophy/spencer/spencer.html

I haven't worked it out yet but I think my company are a sort of an Industrialist gang but they are women that are fed up with being the secret brains behind inventors and are doing something about it, so I wanted then to have sci-fi tech, including the arc pistols and all electric limbs.

They have a trusty mechanical horse providing their arc needs so they can all still run.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Sorry, Glenn, I followed your cross-referenced link, then posted my reply on that link instead of this one! Anyway, here it is again, in the appropriate place:

As to appropriate names for characters for your Company, I am no expert on the Tarzan novels, but found this listing of names of Mangani (the fictional species of great apes in the novels) on Wikipedia under the "Mangani" heading:

Tribe of Go-lat
•   Go-lat (m.)
•   Zu-tag (m.)
 Tribe of Kerchack
•   Chulk (m.)
•   Gazan (m.)
•   Gobu (m.)
•   Go-yad (m.)
•   Gozan (m.)
•   Gunto (m.)
•   Kala (f.)
•   Kama (f.)
•   Karnath (m.)
•   Kerchak (m.),
•   Mamka (f.)
•   Mumga (f.)
•   Mungo (m.)
•   Neeta (f.)
•   Numgo (m.)
•   Pagth (m.),
•   Taglat (m.)
•   Tana (f.)
•   Taug (m.)
•   Teeka (f.)
•   Terkoz (m.)
•   Thaka (m.)
•   Thaka (f.)
•   Tublat (m.)
Tribe of Mal-gash
•   Fernando (m.), mangani name unknown
•   Mal-gash (m.),
•   Sancho (m.), mangani name unknown
Tribe of Molak
•   Akut (m.)
•   Molak (m.)
Tribe of Toyat
•   Gayat or Ga-yat (m.)
•   Go-yad (m.),
•   M'walot (m.)
•   Toyat or To-yat (m.)
•   Zutho or Zu-tho (m.)
Tribe of Ungo (possibly the same as the earlier tribe of Zutho)
•   Ga-un (m.)
•   Ungo (m.), king
•   Zutho or Zu-tho (m.),
Tribe of Zutho (split from the tribe of Toyat, possibly the same as the later tribe of Ungo)
•   Zutho or Zu-tho (m.),
Tribe of Zu-yad
•   Go-lot (m.)
•   Zu-yad (m.),
Rogue (tribeless) Mangani
•   Toog (m.)

Maybe this can help.
The Wikipedia entry is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangani
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
Actually Craig I do agree in principle with your views as I understand them.  Especially a Lady (as opposed to a wench) in Victorian times (which VSF starts with then extrapolates differences) would not be running around with exposed "parts" [unlike 18th/early 19th Century France] but then she would (as Cory in the Old West thread about appropriate female figures points out) she would not routinely wear pants (when necessary for a particular need, yes, routinely, no,) as daily wear.

The line between VSF and Steampunk does get blurred in some areas/miniatures.  The extremes are clearly delineated but there is  some grey (or is it gray) areas.

Even when I was "serious" I could not resist the the "Bovine Fecalith" thing - I think I may have been hanging around you Europeans too much...  ;)  I do hope you took that part as intended kindly and in character.  You and Charles have published a fun set of rules that are fun, fast, and flexible and I do appreciate them.  And that last is straight seriousness.

Gracias,

Glenn