Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »
I've never been a huge fan of lava stuff from their old sets.  If I have one slight beef with the caverns KS it's that they went away from the easy-recognizable squares.  While a bit silly looking in a cavern, it helps immensely when measuring movement etc.  I'm still not in on this KS and won't be, but the design bugs me a little bit.  :?

Glad to see it's a good and proper success. I only have a few more bits to paint from my previous KS...might have to knock those out soon.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
I have 3 sets, but I plan to sell one on ebay.  I like the caverns and in fact have decided to rebase my Otherworld and dungeon delving minis to clear disk bases to they get the best use of the DF terrain. 

I agree, lava does not excite me either, it's too niche to use in a game.  "You see a room with a lava floor, what do you do?",  "We turn around and go another direction..." 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
DF announced that they will be adding a dungeon tiles passage pack as an add on in the current campaign. Anyone who wanted those in the first one should go check it out. They're not available yet, but will be soon... Here's a link to a sketch of how they will work...

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/caverns/pass_ex.jpg

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »
While interesting, I'm really really glad I have a lot of the old corridors...(in fact, damn you...I just paused mid-post and ordered a new "old" resin corridor set on ebay! ACK!).  One of the beefs I have with the dwarvenite is simply how many pieces you need to assemble a simple passage.  I do like the idea of the narrow passages though - I just think you'll end up knocking the dungeon about constantly moving minis through it.

It's fun having a buddy in AZ who's into DF stuff also, as we're kind of text-message painting buddies...both sitting at our tables texting and posting pictures back and forth.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:08 PM »
4 hours left!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
It hit 2 million bucks, wow...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »
Doesn't surprise me.  I think one of the reasons is that Dwarven Forge pre-painted resin stuff was always expensive.  If you look at the DF forums you have a lot of stonkingly rich fellows who own 100+ sets of the resin stuff.  This means, like my buddy, you have a lot of people who are buying in with $500+ investments.  In addition, the last Kickstarter was well run, delivered promptly and was exactly as advertised.

So this is a known quantity, from a reputable company, and a sequel product to an excellent prior release.  There weren't many questions floating around about time-table, materials, likelihood of delays etc. I think people know exactly what they were getting.

I didn't get in on this as I have plenty of caverns, but I'm happy to see the range expand and I may very well buy some cavern expansion sets in the future (I like the small pieces allowing you to make chasms etc.).  I say well done to DF.

I think I guessed they'd 2-3 million, so it looks pretty spot on.  :)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
My gaming budget is dead for a few months. But I got everything
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »
I'm hoping the next one is for tavern pieces..that's really all I'd get in on at this point.  I have plenty of most other things.  I need a few floor pieces but I may just make those myself.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
I bought a couple of extra sets to sell in the post-KS market.  Just like with the first KS, there will be people who will want sets but didnt get them.  Selling 2 sets at a very reasonable price and I've already gotten the add ons for free, sell three and I get it all for about $150.00.  I'm fine with this.  It took a year, but I sold my KS1 Zombicide minis for $500.00.  Paid for the entire game plus a ton.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »
Yeah that's probably my plan with my Robotech kickstarter (which is shipping with about $1000 worth of minis for $250...).  I figure I'll have enough figures that I don't want/need or can't use to recoup most of my initial investment.  I had the money this go round, just passed on it.  Buying the stuff from DF is not exactly a great deal (I imagine Stefan is making more money on these than the resins considering the prices) but if I desperately "need" something I can stomach it.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
Yeah that's probably my plan with my Robotech kickstarter (which is shipping with about $1000 worth of minis for $250...).  I figure I'll have enough figures that I don't want/need or can't use to recoup most of my initial investment.  I had the money this go round, just passed on it.  Buying the stuff from DF is not exactly a great deal (I imagine Stefan is making more money on these than the resins considering the prices) but if I desperately "need" something I can stomach it.

The DF stuff is luxury gaming.  Selling off a few extra sets makes the whole price very palatable.  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
Considering I work a low-paying job currently I've sold off...literally tons of gaming and hobby stuff to keep my the other hobbies afloat.  The huge stack of DF boxes is going nowhere.  It's like wargaming gold.  lol  I may purchase a snake or foul beast to protect it...maybe with some swinging spike traps for good measure.