Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690749
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painted Tekumel Figures?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Painted Tekumel Figures?
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone have any pictures of painted Tekumel figures they would like to post? Shadowkings, the Black Crane, the Dozing Dragon and some others have painted and posted some. Any more?

Anyone out there making use of our figures, even if it isn't for Tekumel? In Pulp games, for exampel? Or generic tabletop fantasy? OSR gaming perhaps?

Just wondering...

Best Regards,

Howard Fielding
The Tekumel Project

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
Re: Painted Tekumel Figures?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
Tékumel miniatures do have a lot of potential outside Tékumel. I saw them (from the old Eureka range) used as VSF Martians, for instance, and for sure the scantily clad girls of the Legion of the Sapphire Kirtle can provide Dejah Thoris / Princess Livia with a fitting bodyguard.
'Humans' from Tékumel can represent an Ancient society, from Atlantis to a 'lost civilization' to be discovered -in a 'lost world', on a 'mysterious island' or 'at the Earth core' ŕ la Pellucidar- any time until the present, or even the pre-technological natives of another planet even 40,000 years in the future, or of another world accessible through a 'portal' (I remember a series of 'medieval' fantasy novels where very Tsolyani-like warriors invaded across a spatio-temporal 'rift').

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »
I'm hoping I'll have the rest of the Aridani Legion finished in a month or two, been a bit of a slow time for painting and hectic time elsewise the last few months.

The Qol would probably work as Pantathians for Midkemia (although I'm sure I read somewhere that Feist is supposed to have drawn on Tekumel as inspiration, so maybe that's less coincidental than one might think?)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
Feist is generally considers a thief among Tekumel Circles. His "Daughter of Empire" series published by Daw is a Tekumel rip-off. He claimed it was inspired by the EPT games he used to run. So what? He's still an IP thief.  He has a website with a map of the region and has the nerve to "trademark" names which are obviously derived from Tekumel. Like Yankora - ie. "Yan Kor". Bastard.  >:(

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
Well, yes, when I say I read that he'd taken "inspiration", it was actually an old thread on frothers I read, which was largely along the lines of that, although much less politely! I didn't know about the Daughter of the Empire series, though I've never read it anyway

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
The "Daughter of Empire" novel starts out really nicely and you think "cool, this is a good as Tekumel" and then you get to a point where you say "Wait a minute, this *is* Tekumel"!!! At that point I stopped reading I was so annoyed.

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
LAF member Shadowkings' In Her Majesty Name' company of pirates

already faced Atlantians and a native Death Cult: hope next time they land on a new 'Mysterious / Skull Island' they'll face Tékuméli priestesses and Amazons backed by an armored Ahoggya for the 'muscle'.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Feist is generally considers a thief among Tekumel Circles. His "Daughter of Empire" series published by Daw is a Tekumel rip-off. He claimed it was inspired by the EPT games he used to run. So what? He's still an IP thief.  He has a website with a map of the region and has the nerve to "trademark" names which are obviously derived from Tekumel. Like Yankora - ie. "Yan Kor". Bastard.  >:(

Did the IP holder take legal action?

I remember from an early Strategic Review/(The) Dragon magazine an article on that world setting and I thought it was very original but seemed uninteresting to game at that time, (just IMO at that time so don't go off as if this was an attack,) so it would be very um... distinctive... in style.  

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espańa,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
Those Qol are really nicely done, Tony!  :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
Those are some seriously nice not-human figures!

Edit: I just realized that with the Fighter/Cleric/Mage/Rogue/Ranger vibe in that group that it would be a great "mirror" force to run into in a dungeon crawl.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:27:15 PM by Conquistador »