Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686463
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Punic Wars in 1/72 Plastics  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Grignotage

• Assistant
Punic Wars in 1/72 Plastics
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Hey all---I just joined the forum and want to contribute my first pictures.

I'm currently working on a Punic Wars painting commission. My customer has Roman and Carthaginian armies in HaT 1/72 plastics, with which he intends to play Command and Colours. I'm working through the vast pile of Romans, auxiliaries, cavalry, and others. Here's my progress so far:

Various slingers plus Gallic infantry:

Roman Hastati in progress---I block paint, wash, and then highlight. These guys have had their tunics, helmets, and plumage done. A few are complete with shield transfers applied.

Here's tonight's progress---highlighted the tunics, helmets, and plumage of the infantry.  Also did a couple shield transfers.  Here are the pics as each step is highlighted:

Thanks for looking!
Now accepting painting and terrain-building commissions. PM for details!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: Punic Wars in 1/72 Plastics
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
Nifty.  Who makes those Hastati - you implied those were plastic?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
Lovely shields and painting jobs on the skin for 1:72.

Do the figures all have the same pose, no variations at all?

Offline Grignotage

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
Nifty.  Who makes those Hastati - you implied those were plastic?

They are by HaT---the company makes various plastic 1/72 miniatures (of varying quality...) They are soft plastic.  Plastic Soldier Review has a list of the stuff they make: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=8

Lovely shields and painting jobs on the skin for 1:72.

Do the figures all have the same pose, no variations at all?

Thanks!  The poses vary by the box set, but generally they all have the same pose (or only have 2 poses per pack).  I would prefer more poses but it does tend to speed up painting, and identical poses do appeal to some gamers.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »
Cool miniatures! I had some 1/72 but sold them as I could not get to terms with the plastic used. Do you have a special recipe to make the paint stick?

I really like your shield designs and might use some as an inpsiration for my 15mm Gauls.

If the commission allows (that is if you get enough money to cover it) I would use different shades of white, beige, brown etc. for the Hastati, as it is likely that they were not entirely uniform, due to them providing their own equipment.

Offline Testudo Maximus

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
Oh my those are some awesome paintjobs for 1/72's , I was just about to post some pictures of my 1/72 Command and Colours  games from last week but now I'm almost too embarrassed.
What manufacturer are those naked Celt chaps ? I don't have any of them in my HaT sets .
Again some brilliant p[painting , please post more when the commission is complete would really like to see how they turn out.

cheers Tom   

Offline avi

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »
They are good. Plastics have more of a natural animation than many metals.
Thay are also economical.
THE HASHOMER
      the watchmen

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Great stuff, got those figures myself.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
Lovely work!!
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Grignotage

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
Thanks for the views and comments!

Oh my those are some awesome paintjobs for 1/72's , I was just about to post some pictures of my 1/72 Command and Colours  games from last week but now I'm almost too embarrassed.
What manufacturer are those naked Celt chaps ? I don't have any of them in my HaT sets .
Again some brilliant p[painting , please post more when the commission is complete would really like to see how they turn out.

cheers Tom   

Thanks Tom. You should post those pics! The Celts are, I thought, Hat---but maybe Italeri? I just got them in bags from my customer, no boxes, so I'm not certain.

Cool miniatures! I had some 1/72 but sold them as I could not get to terms with the plastic used. Do you have a special recipe to make the paint stick?

I really like your shield designs and might use some as an inpsiration for my 15mm Gauls.

If the commission allows (that is if you get enough money to cover it) I would use different shades of white, beige, brown etc. for the Hastati, as it is likely that they were not entirely uniform, due to them providing their own equipment.

I just clean the figures in soapy water and prime them normally. They get extra varnish at the end, and there's been no problems with paint peeling. Thanks for the tip about the tunics. The customer wanted a more uniform look for the Roman "regular" infantry. I think I will do some variable tunics for the Velites.

More shield transfers have been applied to the Hastati. I think I finally have the little *@&!( figured out.  I had a helluva time with my first few transfers, taking much longer to do them than necessary and swearing excessively while doing so. Transfers and decals have never been a strength of mine, but now I'm finally learning!

Here's also some other figures I had finished a few months ago: Spanish spearmen and some Libyan javelinmen (javelineers?).

Still have some touching up to do on them. The spanish shields are painted, the Libyans are LBMS transfers.

Here's what's primed grey and ready to do next: Velites, more Spanish, African infantry, and horses.

And lastly, here's the super-cool cantilevered storage box my wife got me for Christmas, which is where I keep the raw plastic miniatures before they are primed.  Not pictured is the bag of Triari and some elephants that are also part of this project.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »
really nicely painted figure u have there, are u basing them also ?
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Grignotage

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
Threadomancy...but progress! Buying a house and moving into said house interrupted my painting and general wargaming productivity, but this project continues.  I have finished a nice pile of Triarii (still awaiting shield transfers), allied warband infantry, slingers, and archers.  Finished but awaiting pictures are additional Roman auxiliary infantry. I am nearly done with the foot for this project and will be soon starting the cavalry, elephants, and warmachines.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. I'm waiting till I'm done for proper photography. Thanks for looking!

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Looks great!

That reminds me i have a ton of revell and esci plastics lying around that i never used!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
Very nice painting. The colour brightness is just right for 1/72s in my opinion.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »
The project really takes shape. Looking forward to see them on bases and ready for action or will your patron do this last step?