Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jodorowsky's Dune  (Read 14384 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Jodorowsky's Dune
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 03:09:07 AM »
"Zardoz, Part Deux".

Don't say that around me - I love Zardoz.  lol

(it's just too much bloody fun... plus, Charlotte Rampling ;) )

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 04:13:36 AM »
It's hard for me to take pining for the Jordonowski project seriously. Everything I've ever read/seen about it makes it look like fans of the book who hate the David Lynch version would hate the Jordanowski film twice as much for basically the same reasons. And to anyone who hadn't read the book, the Jodonowski film would pretty much be "Zardoz, Part Deux".

I'm pretty much of the same mind. I learned of it through Jodorowski's comic works (it was an obvious jumping point for the Incal/Metabarons universe), and I was left with the impression that this Hollywood-hating creator was doing exactly what Hollywood is always accused of doing.
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »
no one is going to rotoscope again like those films. Its so time intensive costly and horrible to do. If I told you what you charge for it you would have a brain explosion. I have done tons of rotoscoping and I will be the first to tell you its not fun. Its not easy to do well either as it has to be pixel perfect on every frame.

I suspected as much when I worte it.  But this whole thread is me dreaming anyway. 

Oh and Fram: I love Zardoz too.  And Charlotte.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:43 AM »
It's just funny to me. I mean we have revered sci-fi authors who find it really hard to lose the milieu they live in. Like how in Asimov's foundation series the characters all smoke cigarettes and the social structures and relationships and the way everyone talks all have a hilariously 1950's reek.

The man who's able to forget who and what he is and give us a tiny window on a whole new way of thinking, on another universe that doesn't need us, but still functions on it's own rules, of ways men might act in times and places so far removed from today, those are really cool to me. I mean it's hard enough for a person to think in the view point of a different but contemporary culture (say, a modern American trying to understand the modern Chinese cultural milieu, or vice versa), harder still to do this with historical cultures from a different tradition (an American trying to understand what life and social relations might've been like in Mansa Musa's Malian empire or Ancient Sumeria), hardest to imagine one for a society that has never even existed (science fiction). I think Frank Herbert was among the best at that.

If you do it with aliens, that's almost cheating because you can just make up nonsense without anchors. But with humans, you still have to keep an element of familiarity.

This is why I love the Dune books, and hate the Lynch movie.

I was writing an epic rant about how much Lynch didn't get the books -- he pretty much made the people modern Americans in funny clothes -- but the spittle started accumulating on my keyboard and I had to hold back. Words cannot describe how much I hate that movie.

If he didn't like the vision Herbert had, then he should not have made the picture. The changes Jackson made to LotR pale in comparison.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »
I quite like the film version  :) I do tend to separate the two though and watch it as a very good looking sci-fi film.

I bought Dune Apocalypse the other month (£3) and really wished I hadn't but I stuck it out only to get my monies worth  lol

A good cast (James McAvoy, Alice Krieg, Susanna Sarandon and a few other well known faces) but they really should've spent more then £20 on the effects  :-X

Talking about the animation side, would you prefer cgi or traditional? I would prefer traditional as cgi is getting very boring now  :?

cheers

James 
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
no one is going to rotoscope again like those films. Its so time intensive costly and horrible to do.

And ironically, looks cheap and nasty.

(Not to belittle your previous efforts, Scurv. ;) It's just that when I hear or see 'rotoscoping', my mind instantly goes to Ralph Bakshi's Orcs...)

Tried to watch a bit of the tv adaptation, but James MacAvoy just rubs me up the wrong way, for some reason. Leto II, young Prof X, bit part in Early Doors, that ridiculous over-the-top assassin movie I forget the name of... Whatever role or title, he just looks very punchable.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »
I like the look of the Lynch movies, though that's mostly on the strength of Mark Zug's excellent paintings of the main characters of Dune for the Dune CCG, which he mostly based on the designs from the Lynch movie.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »
Tygra, Fire and Ice is a great film! I saw it when I was a teen and got shocked.
The animated LORT also by Ralph Bakshi has some cool rotoscopied scenes

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
I just love Ralph Bakshi in general, he's such a terrible fun cornball. Wizards (featuring, among other things, the best way to deal with an evil Wizard ever) was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Actually that reminds me that I wanted to pick up a copy of American Pop.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »
saw it yesterday and it's damn entertaining, if only for the enthusiasm Jodorowsky still has for the project, he's moved past it but the way he can still talk about it is amazing.
I completly understand why this wasn't made, but damn he had some wacky ;D (good and bad) ideas, and really was ahead of his time, if he had managed to actually make it it would have been epic. although fans of the books would have probably hated it.

damn inspiring too, now I want to do a over the top Sci-fi project   :D