Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 656
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anybody tried out Skirmish Sangin?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Anybody tried out Skirmish Sangin?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
Well, Sangin seems a set of rules developed with a set of specific design goal and serious attempts to understand the subject matter. I have only read the excerpts around the net and tried the free basic game but I am reasonably impressed. Tried to persuade the team to give me a review copy for Forward HQ but they did not even reply... ahahaha... need to wait next month to order them. I do not find them difficult at all. They certainly appear complicated but I do not think that once play starts they are.

On the other hand flying lead is just the kind of things I avoid. Shallow, bland, un-researched rules produced by someone (sadly I had the misfortune to meet mr. Sfiligoi in person and get out with an awful impression) that did know next to nothing. The idea that you can use the same mechanic for everything and that skirmish and formed battles can be done with the same basic engine is ludicrous.  Delta Vector Blog also did a quite scathing review of them. And they do not seems so much different from the Two Hour Wargames rules in the end, with the difference that at least THW do an attempt to play the period rather than the rules.

In the middle you have FoF... but FoF seems to be better with more troops on the table rather than Sangin. But considering the price of current 28mm ranges and the fact that I do not want to always play the hordes of bad guys approach (also why I have to paint few of the good guys and hordes of bad guys? It does not make any sense...) I am thinking tyo give Sangin a more in depth look.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
Very useful post Arrigo. I rather like the look of Skirmish Sangin I'm just not sure my group will. I actually just picked up Flying Lead and the Hearts & Minds on PDF. I've just started to read them. I get the impression that without H&M the main rulebook would be of little interest.

Very tempted to look at Skirmish Sangin!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
And they do not seems so much different from the Two Hour Wargames rules in the end, with the difference that at least THW do an attempt to play the period rather than the rules.

In the middle you have FoF... but FoF seems to be better with more troops on the table rather than Sangin. But considering the price of current 28mm ranges and the fact that I do not want to always play the hordes of bad guys approach (also why I have to paint few of the good guys and hordes of bad guys? It does not make any sense...) I am thinking tyo give Sangin a more in depth look.
1. Maybe you misunderstood me, I'm not a fan of the "songs"-engine. I think a system to rule them all is not really good.
2. I read the FoF rules and tried it. My first experience wasn't so good, too much book-keeping. Not really fast. Maybe I should give them an other chance.
3. Maybe Chain of Command with some modification is a good idea. There are some guys using it for vietnam and african conflicts
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline AngusPodgorny1969

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »
1. Maybe you misunderstood me, I'm not a fan of the "songs"-engine. I think a system to rule them all is not really good.
2. I read the FoF rules and tried it. My first experience wasn't so good, too much book-keeping. Not really fast. Maybe I should give them an other chance.
3. Maybe Chain of Command with some modification is a good idea. There are some guys using it for vietnam and african conflicts

I agree with you on FoF. The design seems very clunky to me. We tried it and TW several times, enjoyed some aspects, but in the end it has too many moving parts that don't fit well together, sort of a Frankenstein monster.

Offline Dougie

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
I play this regularly and its very good, works ideally with a couple of fireteams, out of interest the blog is good link below, Dougie
http://skirmishsangin.blogspot.co.nz/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
I agree with you on FoF. The design seems very clunky to me. We tried it and TW several times, enjoyed some aspects, but in the end it has too many moving parts that don't fit well together, sort of a Frankenstein monster.
It becomes problematic, when too much units come together. It became absolutly confusing. But a lot of gamers play FoF, so we should try it again.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
Well, I finished reading through Flying Lead and my initial reaction is "hmmm." It seems to be all over the place with an apparent lack of direction. I know the source books are supposed to characterise the period but I was left feeling like it didn't really know what it was. For example, I play Disposable Heroes, Where Heroes Dare and Pulp Alley already and I'm really not sure I would bother playing Flying Lead over any of those. I wanted it for modern 'What If' games but unless I can get anything out of the Hearts & Minds book I might as well have used Where Heroes Dare. It's just my personal opinion but I'm left feeling disappointed.

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 04:24:30 AM »
So far I've been quite impressed with what I've read about Skirmish Sangin and we're looking forward to trying quite soon.

On the other hand Flying Lead is just the kind of things I avoid. Shallow, bland, un-researched rules..

+1.

We found FoF to be borderline unplayable and have no interest in trying it again. I keep hearing that lots of people play it but I haven't met anyone that wants to play it a second time.

Maybe Chain of Command with some modification is a good idea. There are some guys using it for vietnam and african conflicts

This is what we're using for our Africa games. I think it's one of the better options out there at the moment.
A.Nik-

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
It's been along time since I played them but I remember RAFM's old Vietnam set Charlie Company as giving a satisfying game. The rules were written in a manner that allowed real world tactics to work, indeed prevail and they were eminently adaptable to any post war conflict. Best of all, they could be played solo. I believe they are still available from RAFM.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline azeroth

• Student
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 12:08:54 AM »
SS are a very good fast set of rules, there is a campaign (read as rp) element to them  so you can do some sort of background to your squad.

Once the bullets start flying it tends to be as per modern combat fast frantic and bloody.

Totally recommend them after 40+ years of gaming and trying to find something like this all the time

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »
Well, I finally ordered some Empress Brits and Afghans, so I am anxious to give the rules a try.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »
Can you use it for theatres other than afganistan like something like Strike Back type scenarios...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 07:32:42 AM »
Can you use it for theatres other than afganistan like something like Strike Back type scenarios...

I'm looking to use it for a South East Asia setting so I've made up PLA units and South China Sea pirates. It all seems to be easy enough to alter to suit your setting. I'd also like to do a 60s Vietnam setting.

The core rules don't seem like anything needs to be changed?

Offline TXWargamer

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
I like the system a bunch. It plays well in any period with minimal mods. I do enjoy FoF too but for a different type of scenario

Skirmish has an rpg feel with low figure counts.

Offline shepard88

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »
Hey

Game is designed rather for 28 mm figure range, but has anybody tried with 20 mm figures?

Greets