Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ex-Bretonnian Archers  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Ex-Bretonnian Archers
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
Some classic GW 'Bretonnian Squires with Bows' are now going to be doing sterling service in my medieval army/armies.

They're painted as Kingdom of Antioch Norman mercs/troops; I'm thinking between the 1st and 2nd Crusades, notwithstanding the fact that their fashions are probably a good couple of centuries later than that! I'm not too bothered about such wild historical inaccuracies on the peasants and may even be caught using them as Wars of the Roses archers too, without so much as a blush of shame.

They're just really lovely old models and I'm gonna use them for something, even if I have to shoe-horn them into an inappropriate period. The terrain on the bases has been painted to be intentionally ambiguous, given that they might have to fulfill a variety of roles. The bowstrings are plastic bristles from a cheapo dustpan and brush set.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Ex-Bretonnian Archers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »
Some classic GW 'Bretonnian Squires with Bows' are now going to be doing sterling service in my medieval army/armies.

They're just really lovely old models and I'm gonna use them for something, even if I have to shoe-horn them into an inappropriate period. The terrain on the bases has been painted to be intentionally ambiguous, given that they might have to fulfill a variety of roles. The bowstrings are plastic bristles from a cheapo dustpan and brush set.

First of all I'd like to say that they are a top paint job  :-* :-* :-*

Great idea about the brush and dustpan too  8).

They're painted as Kingdom of Antioch Norman mercs/troops; I'm thinking between the 1st and 2nd Crusades, notwithstanding the fact that their fashions are probably a good couple of centuries later than that! I'm not too bothered about such wild historical inaccuracies on the peasants and may even be caught using them as Wars of the Roses archers too, without so much as a blush of shame.

Indeed they are, they're wearing mid 14th Century clothing. If you want to get a picture of what First and Second Crusade archers would have looked like take a peek at the Perry's site here:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_33_52&products_id=1780

Of course, they may well have used longbows or bows as they were generically called (the word longbow being a later invention) as they were quite a popular weapon ion Western European even as far back as the 8thC. There is fairly substantial evidence of the Norse using these bows further back too.

[/quote]

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
 :-*  :-*

Beautiful work Cubs at redeeming these lovely sculpts. Much nicer than their plastic 2 varieties siblings.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
Excellent!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »

Indeed they are, they're wearing mid 14th Century clothing. If you want to get a picture of what First and Second Crusade archers would have looked like take a peek at the Perry's site here:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_33_52&products_id=1780

Yeah, I'm planning to get some of the Perry's stuff (I've already got some Hospitallers) and expanding, so these guys will be mixed with some things a little more accurate. But I really like the models and having bought them, I had to find some justification.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
I've been holding off on my SAGA bowmen because I havent thought of a good way to do the bowstrings.  I have the perfect cheap plastic broom!  :D

They look great mate!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
The good thing if you've got metal bows is if the strings look a little wonky you can gently ease the bow straighter until the string is nice and straight.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
Very nice!  These are some of my favorite citadel figures...yours look amazing.  The faces on these guy are wonderful....those Perry boys know their business.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »
Those are excellent!  :-* :-*

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
Excellent, nice to see some lead Bretonnian archers from you too.

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Lovely paint job with a cracking pallet. Suitably drab, whichever Crusade.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
cool painting, especially their solemn " I would rather be in the Lord's field reaping" faces!!! :D
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!