Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just found some stuff in my lead pile... what I shall do with it?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Well, dear fellow ladies and gentlemen adventurers...

one of the joys of being unemployed (actually I am an independent scholar and MoD consultant... means I get a bit, a very little bit, of money, but I have a big chunk of spare time... plus my friends are all in different countries from me rmoving the need for a social life...) is that I have a lot of time to paint stuff and, even scarier to check through the lead pile. Rummaging here and there I found I am the proud owner of a lot of Turkish, Anzac and British troops in 28mm. I have large amount of old BH WW1 colonial British (around 30, plus vickers, plus 18pdr) already painted, a full squad of Woodbine British in Wolseley helmets and serge uniform, another of Anzac troops, another of Turkish plus a whole load of Battle Honours turks... I know I can play some decent size Mespot and Palestine skirmish with them and I am happy... but... can I use these guys for something else without having to buy load of bolos? I cannot paint miniatures just to paint them, @i need to have a project in mind for them... they had been bought for Palestine 1917 but then I switched to 10mm... I tried to move them to RCW but never found the commitment (will+time+money) to do the Bolsheviks being always sidetracked.

I explain my problem... I like RCW and WW1 but I play them mainly with strategic games or grand tactical rules (Red Action, If the Lord Spares US) in 10mm. Why? I like the rules and the setting, 10mm is cheaper, I do not like extreme scale distortion. I do not like to scratch build trenches... so what I can use these nice chaps for? I can be persuaded to add some characters...

What I am looking for are scenario ideas to get this stuff completed. As people here already know I am quite knowledgeable in history (to the point ot be overbearing at time... and to the point to be a real military historian too...) so it is not history I am looking forward (but if someone has a specific action in mind...) but rather at some potential movie/tv/book/scenario idea to get me inspired. Recently my creative vein seems to be a bit down, I cannot create satisfying characters or stories (side effects of having written a full PhD? Ehy I have problem even in writing decent articles... a problem when you have to conferences coming  :o ).   

What I am looking are small narrative scenarios where I can have around 20 figures per side, with some interesting characters with interesting objectives. I am not wary of adding a little bit of magic/artifacts/something weird. I am happy with lost and not so lost civilizations... I am also an archaeologist so I like to have fun of myself and the time spent digging and never finding anything...

I  consider my time frame from early 1900' (my CW troops are in Wolseley or passable imitation of Wolseley helmets as in case of the BH guys...) to end of the RCW period (the Turks are out of the picture then). I am open to add new figures but just characters/masterminds/officers. I cannot afford whole new force (otherwise the Bolos and then the Whites would have been the obvious solution). It has to be something fun to distract me from serious writing and painting. As far scenery is concerned I have several mid-eastern looking house and scenic elements and basic arid theme scenery.

I do not guarantee I will not completely change the suggestions (Well it this happens it is because my creative vein has returned  :D ). I will try to write blogpost on this project with pictures.

In conclusion I ask you, fellow ladies and gentlemen adventurer to help me to creat a decent and good looking fun scenario with the stuff I have!

Arrigo

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Just found some stuff in my lead pile... what I shall do with it?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
WWI Afghanistan!  The Turks were making in roads there as part of their strategy, the British weren't keen and, just over the border are the Russians.

Take a look at Dave's blog:

http://www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk/
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'