Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Input on East African Buildings - Najewitz-Modellbau?  (Read 7533 times)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Hi All,
I am looking for some appropriate colonial buildings for my German East Africa project, but am having a difficult time finding things that are appropriate.  I know about the Trader Town line at Ainsty, but was hoping for something more impressive to represent a plantation or government building. Looking at pictures, it seems there was a lot of Arabic influence on the coastal architecture: 

As such I was thinking of perhaps using one of these Najewitz-Modellbau Middle East buildings and adding a tile or tin roof and veranda to it:

http://www.najewitz-modellbau.de/index.php/en/component/jshopping/category/view/46

Can anyone provide thoughts on if this would look appropriate for buildings a little further inland?  Or if you had a better solution, I’m all ears.

Lastly, these buildings are pretty expense with shipping to the US.  Does anyone have them and if so, can you comment on the quality and value?

Thanks!

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for Input on East African Buildings - Najewitz-Modellbau?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:10 AM »
For those buildings?  You either need to be a talented - and prolific - scratch builder or be able to afford to hire the services of a professional model builder.  You didn't specify scale but in 15 mm the closest thing I've seen is an old Village Green mosque.  So far as I know it is no longer available.  I have one awaiting paint but it is going Nowhere!  Good luck.

Oh, as to further inland, probably in the highlands such buildings would be found.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:13:08 AM »
I have the Najewitz-Modellbau buildings but I've not built them yet. I like them, they are very detailed. They will take some work to clean up. They also seem a little brittle, a few pieces arrived broken. The resin they're made of isn't a type I've seen used before. It also took quite a long while to get them to the USA, maybe three months? They are on my 'to do' list.

I think they look stately, but not European, so if you're after a colonial structure that is inspired by the local architecture, I'm not quite sure I'd go that route.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
Thanks Guys!

I think they look stately, but not European, so if you're after a colonial structure that is inspired by the local architecture, I'm not quite sure I'd go that route.

I was hoping  that adding a roof and veranda  would get me close enough, but it sounds not.  Any other ideas?  I was hoping to find something that could used as is or that would work with just a few modifications. My hope is to assemble a little 28mm outpost as seen in the second picture.

Thanks again!

Chris

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
It is funny that you brin g this up. I have been searching for years. I currently have  Herb Gundt at  H.G. Walls consigned to build me three buildings,not cheap but beautiful. There is nothing really out there,Brigade games has one or two buildings,kind of.  Tinned Fruit at the Guild Wargamers forum   is a good scratch builder and reasonably priced,he is always selling items on The Miniaturers page.Someone needs to build generic colonial buildings and residences. The poor man substitute is using Miniature building Spanish custom house and govenors house mixed w/ Arabic  buildings.Najewitz- Modellbaubuildings look cool and would fit in.Good hunting.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »
Strange there isn't much out there considering colonial gaming seems reasonably popular. Guess I may be stuck trying to make due then if I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks!

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »
Strange there isn't much out there considering colonial gaming seems reasonably popular. Guess I may be stuck trying to make due then if I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks!

I don't know that buildings like that were the scenes of battles. I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like colonial powers only build those kinds of structures after the conflicts have been pushed to the hinterlands. And if things heat up enough, the governors are gone by the time the natives decide they want to move in :)

Were there any 'sieges' or all out attacks on plantation and government buildings in East Africa, late 1800s or early 1900s?

It is surprising none-the-less, just because they're cool looking. I've had my eye on similar buildings for a while.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »
I don't know that buildings like that were the scenes of battles.

I'm actually going to be playing the Great War era, and I've seen a photo of that governor's residence in ruins, so I'm assuming there was fighting in built up colonial zones.  I was thinking an outpost could be a fun setting for a supply raid or bug out.

Chris

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'm not up to speed on WW1 in Africa :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 04:34:43 AM »
I was on the Hinterland Miniatures site and saw this image:

It was in the 'Customer Gallery' area, and it says that the picture was supplied by Paul Bright. I'm not sure what make the building is- it appears commercial- but I suspect one could replace the supports on the lower level with something more 'African' and end up with a nice looking structure.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
I was on the Hinterland Miniatures site and saw this image:

It was in the 'Customer Gallery' area, and it says that the picture was supplied by Paul Bright. I'm not sure what make the building is- it appears commercial- but I suspect one could replace the supports on the lower level with something more 'African' and end up with a nice looking structure.

Very interesting find! Too bad the photo doesn't give you a look at the whole thing. It does look commercial - maybe ACW or Old West?

Chris

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »
Actually this could all be very useful to me as I'm planning on doing some WWI in East Africa.

I suppose that these colonial buildings were reasonably universal in appearance (barring the odd flourish)?

Darrell.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
Think I found that building Dr. Mathius.  It looks to be a conversion of the Old West hotel from Sarissa:

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
I suppose that these colonial buildings were reasonably universal in appearance (barring the odd flourish)?

I'm no expert, but at least from the photos I've seen common theme seems to be metal roofs with low slopes, covered verandas, and smooth white walls, with perhaps a bit of Arabian flourishes on some of the more impressive buildings near the coast. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to all of these.

Chris

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
I'm working on a colonial build for my Mars board but it's taken from real ones and seems like it would fit the bill?

Not doing a range but could be persuaded to do some commission work  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/