Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Female Indian Shaman: any figures suitable?  (Read 11133 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
28mm Female Indian Shaman: any figures suitable?
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
I'm looking for a female American Indian Shaman/Medicine Woman for an In Her Majesty's Name company. The only two I've found are Bombshell Miniature's "Luta" and the Reaper "female Indian shaman."

I'm wondering if there might be any fantasy figures---a female barbarian wizard, perhaps---that might be suitable, either as is or with some conversion.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike O
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:54:08 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: 28mm Female Indian Shaman: any figures suitable?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/old-west/old-west-rocky-mountain-rendezvous-collection-bcow007/

VOW7/5 Bright Wings. I like that she isn't so menacing. I was going to use her as an old west Necromancer leading a pack of undead scalphunters.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »
Bright Wings certainly has possibilities---I was familiar with Foundry's Rocky Mountain Rendezvous collection, but had forgotten about her.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:34:33 AM »
I just finished painting the Reaper female shaman - it's a nice model but there's a lot of small details to pick out, which I find fiddly.

Here's a pic of it, the lady in yellow is from Foundry, the one in blue is from Reaper. I think the scale works OK, even though the Reaper minis are slightly larger than most ranges.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
I have another one but I'm trying to remember the name of the range. It's a small range with only female characters I think.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
I just finished painting the Reaper female shaman - it's a nice model but there's a lot of small details to pick out, which I find fiddly.

Superb brushwork, Supercollider!  :-* Your assessment of the shaman is right, she's a very nice figure. On the negative side, the bone armor across her chest does a good job of subduing her "charms," so to speak---I would rather those charms be accentuated for the character I have in mind.  :D That's just the male chauvinist in me. Given the choices so far, I'd probably go with the Reaper.

Bombshell's Luta is pretty much what I'm looking for, right down to her medicine bundle, and the pistol in the holster is just fine, but for some reason that "levitating" pose just doesn't do anything for me.

Same thing for the Battlefield Babes figure, white knight: very nice mini, but her pose isn't really what I'm after. That squirrel on her knee gives her that Druid feeling; my character is more of a warrior medicine woman---she's killed and counted coup against a few Shoshone in her day, and has now turned to the mystic powers and has found favor with Wise One Above. That kind of thing.

Thanks for the help, gents. Anyone else seen a figure out there that would work as a Native American shamaness? Maybe from some fantasy barbarian range, or something similar? I'm an old D&D guy, but, except for Reaper, I'm just not that familiar with the wide range of fantasy miniatures out there today, so your expertise is appreciated!

Mike O
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:17:43 AM by oabee »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
Maidenhead ferals?

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Conquest Games' Iroquois Ritualist pack has a female, if memory serves.
It's nothing, sir. Just a burn from a ray gun.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Conquest Games' Iroquois Ritualist pack has a female, if memory serves.

I thought they might, too, but nope, at least not in any recognizable form:

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
Maidenhead ferals?

Wow o_o

It would be an honor to lead these lasses into battle, but it would take some modifications---green stuff, anyone?--- to bring these sorceresses into the Victorian Age. The first one, standing, summoning demon, has definite possibilities for conversion. This is a cool range of figures.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming, boys and girls.

Mike O

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
Warmachine Tharn Bloodweavers are probably too fantasy as well

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 01:28:02 AM »
Warmachine Tharn Bloodweavers are probably too fantasy as well

I think these ladies have real possibilities with some slight conversion, white knight. Reaper's Deadlands Accessories and Weapons sprue has American Indian weapons and lances, plus their Shamaness's staff, which could be added to these figures. Real possibilities here....  :) I'm thinking especially of the two ladies in the middle---dynamic poses, ripe for conversion. Don't they look like they could be casting spells (or, in IHMN, Mystic Powers)? Hmmmm.......

Thanks!

Wouldn't mind seeing more, if more's out there, everyone!

Mike O

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/old-west/old-west-rocky-mountain-rendezvous-collection-bcow007/

VOW7/5 Bright Wings. I like that she isn't so menacing. I was going to use her as an old west Necromancer leading a pack of undead scalphunters.

I like that figure.  I have a mountain man (foot/mounted) and two squaws (second-hand so source is a matter of  flawed memory banks) that is similar. 

Luta is okay/fairly generic (whih is good to me)  and Reaper's figure is very nice but seems perhaps "specific" to a particular culture/nation - or maybe just "SF Indian."

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Concerning the Tharn Bloodweavers, above:

Sigh. After examining the figures, what I thought at first was just warpaint on their faces turns out to be some kind of leather masks. Not good. A head swap now seems in order. Or some work with a Dremel to remove the masks. Being Privateer Press figures, which require lots of fiddly and irritating assembly, they may already come with detached heads. That would help.