Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:51:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689819
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: He's back!  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
He's back!
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
Well I have returned from a week's retraining in the dark arts of ISO9001 Lead Auditing. If you have no idea what that is then consider yourselves lucky  :D

I apologise for not being able to be here very much but the training ran from 0830-1830 each day plus homework. The food though was bloody excellent and I think I may have put on half a stone  :o

Normal service shall now be resumed.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: He's back!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
Well I have returned from a week's retraining in the dark arts of ISO9001 Lead Auditing. If you have no idea what that is then consider yourselves lucky  :D
<snip>

God heal you, son...  That stuff makes medical coding look rational.  http://www.aapc.com/medical-coding/medical-coding.aspx  The wife is now learning ICD-10... http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/icd-10-codes.aspx

This ISO9001...  monstrosity... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000 is the hot item for the DOD/IC according to some senior leaders.    ::)  Great, I figure the day after we achieve this certification we will be beten ina 36 hour war with Swaziland.  Or maybe Switzerland if we are lucky... I like chocolate...

The good news is that the scars can pass for dueling scars...  Just smile and say "Heidelberg."  Or some other nonsense. 

Glad you are back to the 'serious' stuff.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »
Hi Glenn,

I've been working with ISO9001 since the 80's when it was BS5750 so I am a hardened veteran now  lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
Hi Glenn,

I've been working with ISO9001 since the 80's when it was BS5750 so I am a hardened veteran now  lol

I love the unintended honestly of the first two letters of the original (?) name.  I still think the organizations (other than "me too" bureaucracies) that go this route have already unconsciously put best practices into the business.

Now, just try applying all that to IHMN...

;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »
So, does that mean that the IHMN threads will, in the future, be audited to actually meet quality standards? ;)  lol

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
So, does that mean that the IHMN threads will, in the future, be audited to actually meet quality standards? ;)  lol

They already are and I gave  out nonconformities for several minor errors in the first book leading to the publication of the errata as a corrective action.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »
They already are and I gave  out nonconformities for several minor errors in the first book leading to the publication of the errata as a corrective action.

In triplicate, please, to be submitted to the proper authorities and to be subsequently securely disposed of in accordance with DIN66399.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
Disposition of documents should be in accordance with your own procedures, which shall meet the requirements of clause 4.2.4 Control of records.
You could also cross refer to ISO14001 if you run an integrated Quality & Environmental management system  lol

And I actually make a living out of this crap...

Offline ant1clock

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
This is weird, I also audit in the world of Quality. :o I have also been with the standard since the days of AQAP 1 and BS5750. Anoraks unite.

Now we need to get into a detailed discussion on the merits of correction, corrective and preventive action, that get them falling asleep at their posts. I'm getting an idea for an IHMN company based on a team of Auditors.

Cheers

ant1clock
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:41:38 PM by ant1clock »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
Now we need to get into a detailed discussion on the merits of correction, corrective and preventive action, that get them falling asleep at their posts. I'm getting an idea for an IHMN company based on a team of Auditors.

Ant,

I never forgave ISO for replacing the perfectly good English word 'Preventative' with the invented 'Preventive'  >:(

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:49 AM »
Ant,

I never forgave ISO for replacing the perfectly good English word 'Preventative' with the invented 'Preventive'  >:(

Ack!

That sounds like IC/GuvSpeak - "Anticipatory" is what you call doing the routine baseline Human Geography (13 Themes/Layers) but it is specifically is not in anticipation of any events...   ???   o_o 

"Maintenance" is not to be used.  Ever.  Use 'Anticipatory' instead.  Yeah the Two Letter Level guy is on loan from CIA and thinks we (Source,) and not Analysis, should do "analysis."   Yeah, that makes... no... sense except in a bureaucracy.

I am thinking ISO9001 might be the most rational of the three (ISO, ICD, whatever the hell we are using...)

As long as you don't go all "Grammar Nazi" on the threads in LAF we will be fine.

Gracias,

Glenn

Enough of this thread for me, I am getting a headache just thinking about this...

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
Now Conquistador, that's more my line, the "Grammar Nazi" stuff.

I've been a journalist for almost two decades and a copy editor for three-fourths of that.

The copy editing world was set abuzz this past week when the Associated Press announced that its style would no longer necessitate the changing of "over" to "more than" when dealing with amounts of discrete objects. Prior to that, "over" was for measurements. For example: "The man was over six feet tall and carrying more than 15 hamsters on his person."

Now AP is saying that it is acceptable to say the man was carrying over 15 hamsters. This greatly upsets others in my profession. They did note that they're not saying you can't change it to "more than," just that, to be in compliance with AP Style, you don't HAVE to.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 08:22:44 AM »
A campaign by BBC Radio Four listeners recently changed BBC policy on the user of the word 'less'. They now correctly advise their journalists and presenters to use 'fewer' instead.

This isn't being a 'grammar Nazi', it is just using the correct words for the job. Over to you in the studio...  :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »
A campaign by BBC Radio Four listeners recently changed BBC policy on the user of the word 'less'. They now correctly advise their journalists and presenters to use 'fewer' instead.

This isn't being a 'grammar Nazi', it is just using the correct words for the job. Over to you in the studio...  :D

The self-proclaimed Fem-nazi/Grammar Nazi on my team and the contractor who was an editor for years sometimes almost have a stroke when senior managers (the guys with Masters and Doctorates of stuff like Strategic Intelligence and other esoteric majors) sound like an inner city student because they can't write a clear sentence.  I bump any important document to them before I reply any more.  I don't know that clarity wards off redundant stupidity but as long as the "seniors" leave me alone to do my job I am happy.  

Words have meaning.  Grammar developed for a reason.  Clarity does not require many polysyllabic words.  I thought, "Go Away or I will hurt you," always was very clear.  They have shown me better ways to communicate that.   :D

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:16:11 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »
I like to keep a copy of Sir Ernest Gowers' The Complete Plain Words on my desk. It is very useful for beating idiots with.