Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Crawling Chaos... A cult in progress.  (Read 3189 times)

Offline betterZthenDeaD

• Assistant
The Crawling Chaos... A cult in progress.
« on: March 22, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
The Crawling Chaos

"And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods—the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep."

This started as a slightly different project a couple of years ago. I originally intended to put together a 'Dreamlands' war band based on H.P's 'Dreamquest of Unkown Kadath', but the project never really took off. The Ghouls ended up as members of a Blood Bowl team, the Gug just ended up in a box in the loft! Time passed and I started lurking here on the Call of Cthulhu board again and inspired partly by the Lovecraft Painting Circle and posts by the likes of Mason and Uncle Mike I decided to dig the models back out again. Here they are in all their 'unspoilt' (my painting skills are lacking at best) glory...

... A quick dip in the ole' Dettol bath and the Ghouls were ready to go. The Gug had an arm re-pinned and was also ready. I found the two chaps on the right, Malifaux 'thingies (technical term!) which I'd originally thought of using as Men of Leng and ordered a couple of bits from Otherworld and Avolak Castings. The (new) plan is to slowly build an army for The Crawling Chaos, Nyarlathotep. I want to use a variety of miniatures from different manufacturers, using only one race or type for each. I've used models form Avolak (Nightgaunts), Otherworld (Yellow King's emissary), Reaper (the Gug), Crocodile Games (Ghouls) and Wyrd (the Men of Leng).

I'm currently looking for a suitable Nyarlathotep (suggestions welcome ;)) and I'm also thinking of adding some Cultists and a couple of Mummies. Though I have a distinct 'look' in mind and a rough idea of what I want to add, I have no idea if this little army of mine will fit into any existing rules sets. As you can see I have no missile weapons and don't really intend to add any (though maybe armed Cultists might be an idea). Firearms don't really feature that heavily in Lovecraft's stories or those of Robert W. Chambers (I'm a huge fan of the King In Yellow - hence his emisarrys presence here) so I'm sort of looking for a set of rules that maybe relies more on psychological effects than small arms fire. Any thing like that out there?

Enough rambling for now... I'll attempt to get some paint on these and post some pics. Promise!  :D

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
Re: The Crawling Chaos... A cult in progress.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
Awesome project!  Been working on similar ideas myself but concentrating on a herbert West reanimated cult...

I found this thread about a Lovecraftian tyranid army really inspiring and the conversion for Nyarlathotep is in inspired. In fact all the conversions are inspired.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?310707-WIP-Lovecraft-ian-Tyranids

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:07 AM »
Holy crap, his truck full of madmen is inasaaaaannnnnnnnne

Offline Mi-Go

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
Holy moly!  :o

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:08:11 AM »
That is just great! Building one of my own...I can see now that is not crazy enough by half! More improvements will be needed...Inspirational!

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:39 AM »
Outstanding! Love the truck! Just plain bonkers! o_o

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:23:03 AM »
I'm currently looking for a suitable Nyarlathotep (suggestions welcome ;))

There's always the RAFM one if you want to go the easy way. In the recent KS there was a 'God of the Bloody Tongue'

The current one is als quite noce (though smallish, which for me would be a plus for gaming).

I've got one painted up - just let me know if you want aa 'scale shot' with som other miniatures to get an idea of size of the thing.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners