Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for Roman skirmish?  (Read 6610 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Rules for Roman skirmish?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
I'll second the LotR rules, they're really terrific and are easily transferable to any period (fantasy, scifi, or historical).

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
Are you familiar with "The Sword and the Flame" Colonial Rules?  There is an ancient variant of that called "The Sword in Gaul", take a look here -  http://www.sergeants3.com/index.html

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
I have a friend who has TSATF.  We've thought about playing it, not got around to it yet. 

I want a very low level of skirmish, though, with just a handful of figures on each side.  A game I could set up in 5 mins, rather than the usual sixty with my ancients!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »
We use SAGA and Triumph and Tragedy with modifications for Late Romans. If you are interested in the T&T stuff let me know, LAF member Skink wrote all changes down, he will send you a document for sure.
And Dux Britanniarum seems to ne very good, didn't Play it personally but others love it.
For the Romans I use the Anglo-Danish Board when playing SAGA. Hope that helps?
Edit: for real small games have a look at Broadsword Adventures, really fast and fun.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the T&T variant, I'd really be very grateful, as I am hoping to run some participation games in the Late Roman era at my club and need something that I can run with easily as umpire - something that the players could just pick up and play easily. I have considered using Dux Britanniarum with bigger forces but am not sure that'd be a good 'pick up and play' set for the players who'd likely be involved...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
Are the LOTR rules available for download anywhere?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
Are the LOTR rules available for download anywhere?

The core rules or some modified profiles? 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
The core rules or some modified profiles? 

Definitely the core, I've never seen the game played.  What supplements do people play with and recommend? Cheers

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
I don't think the core rules are available for a free download anywhere, but they show up on ebay for fairly cheap.  GW recently put all the LotR armies into themed books but there aren't really other supplements. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
I don't think the core rules are available for a free download anywhere, but they show up on ebay for fairly cheap.  GW recently put all the LotR armies into themed books but there aren't really other supplements. 

Is the game still in print?  I thought GW throws up their rules for free when they stop making the game.  Or is the Hobbit game essentially the same thing?

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
The game is still in print.  The Hobbit uses the same rules, but I'm not sure about the profiles.  If you can get the big blue rule book, that would be your best bet.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
eBay surely?
Luckily I kept my sons set in a safe place!  The whole LotR/LOTOW/Mordhiem family of rules are an excellent basis for any skirmish period.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:54 AM »
eBay surely?
Luckily I kept my sons set in a safe place!  The whole LotR/LOTOW/Mordhiem family of rules are an excellent basis for any skirmish period.

I took a look on ebay, but there seem to be a bunch of different rule sets.  I'll wait till GW stops making this game and the rules are free, that should be a week or so given their track record :D

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
I took a look on ebay, but there seem to be a bunch of different rule sets.  I'll wait till GW stops making this game and the rules are free, that should be a week or so given their track record :D

My advice would be to look on EBAY for the dark blue hardback version of LOTR rules, or the Return of the King version, as that was the last reprint for the different movies. I use them at home with my son. They are better than the new Hobbit rules as they were written before all the daft new rules for special strikes with certain weapons, etc (although you could easily ignore those).
Although they have their detractors, they are IMHO a very good core rules for skirmish type games - easy to play, but with layers of complexity that aren't immediately obvious. My 5 year old son can cope with the basic mechanisms of movement and combat quite easily.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
I originally come from a role-playing background
My ruleset « Argad ! » is intended for role-playing minds  :) ...but you need to devise your own scenarios, it's not really a complete game system it's more a simple technical background for adventures; and you need terrain features not a bare plain. http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
I would say...

Dux Britanniarum... the basic engine is ready for late Rome, you can make some twists for early period (it has been tried for Roman conquest of Britain with no modifications). You can even use the campaign as it is (with some rewording) or wait that someone with some experience in ancient history (me for example  o_o ) find the will to stop posting on forum and drooling at the latest miniatures and actually does some design work and produce adapted campaigns for earlier period... yes this is an auto-whip against my  passive-complaining mood...

anyway Dux has around 30 figures per side, characters with sound background and RPG attributes, a nice battle generation system and everything is needed post phalanx (in a pinch you can easily adapt shield wall rules to represent small phalanxes).

Arrigo (who is not Rich's salesman, but a satisfied TFL customer!)
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com