Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690808
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Dark Eldar" Grav Vehicle: Updated-Mech Support Added 4/01  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: "Dark Eldar" Grav Vehicle
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »
It looks great and your painting style is awesome!

I really like how you did the Dark Eldar too!

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
Very nice work and a great flyer!  I just did something similar with some old dark eldar using some Pig Iron heads and scratch built jet packs.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 05:42:00 AM »
Ironworker, that is some great work with some underrated figures - love what you did with them! ! Despite the widespread loathing of these early DE models, they really are quite fun and full of potential once you dispense with the silly helmets and oversized shoulder plates.  I have done a similar project with extra DECIDED models and Pig Iron heads.  Good stuff,  and thanks for posting them!

On a related note to Ironworker,  your posts have been a huge inspiration to me in my own conversion and scratch building work.  Your models and AARs have really kit a fire under me.  :D

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 05:45:46 AM »
Well I managed to create and delete a video tutorial all in one fell swoop!  Damn!  Well I'll try again tomorrow  :o
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:59:41 AM by Hrothgar »

Offline Chilledenuff

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
Very nice work and a great flyer!  I just did something similar with some old dark eldar using some Pig Iron heads and scratch built jet packs.

Are those backpacks made out of cableties(zipties)
Smile!  It's not that bad!

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Are those backpacks made out of cableties(zipties)

Yes.  They are suppose to be jump packs.  Although when I was messing with them I figured out a way to make decent tech backpacks with them as well.  I have a bounty hunter fig I did with a more elaborate zip tie jet pack but his armor was bulkier than these figures so I needed a bit more. 

Offline Chilledenuff

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
Excellent.  i meant to type jump packs but was half asleep :D  great stuff, amazing what can be used for bits

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
Re: "Dark Eldar" Grav Vehicle: Update - Mech Support Added 4/01
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »
In a continuing effort to provide more support for my Deadland Reavers (Dark Eldar that I am using in my own gaming system as human pirates/raiders), I decided to add some two-legged, armored fire support to the force. As I have previously stated, I like many of the Dark Eldar figures (with modifications!) but the vehicles just don't do the trick for me. So I decided to do another conversion. It just so happened that right around the same time I came across a handful of Mars Heroes action figures at a local Dollar General store. For $2 and some change, I got myself one of these as a starting point:

I thought it had potential when I bought it, and upon examining it more closely, I realized that it's snap ball-and-socket construction would allow very easy conversion, so I started switching bits about until I found a configuration I liked. Then I began adding bits and details from my scratchbuilding box:

Even though I have a few more details to add yet, I could not help myself, so I applied a thick, messy coat of gesso last night before retiring. This is what I found this morning while getting ready for work.

This has been a quick and fun project, and I am enjoying finding ways to keep the astetic that I like as a loose theme for the army. As my Reavers represent a piractical empire of human pirates and scavengers, their army is going to have a somewhat cobbled together feel, so I intend to add a variety of different vehicle styles of different tech levels that could have been looted from various enemies. But for now, my next step is to see how this bad boy takes paint. More pics later.

Thanks for looking, folks! :D :D :D

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Re: "Dark Eldar" Grav Vehicle: Updated-Mech Support Added 4/01
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
I've used a bunch of those M.A.R.S. robots for my games.  In fact I am using the same alien ones to support my Dark Eldar conversions.  Just FYI do not try and clear coat those robots.  They will off gas like crazy.  Also if you do end up with a problem they will strip with simple green safely.  Also Krylon "fusion" paints seem to work well if you want to spray prime them. 

That's a great looking conversion!

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
Ironworker, thanks! I don't recall seeing any MARS aliens conversions on your website; do you have pics of your Dark Eldar conversions? I would love to see what you came up with!
 :D ;D :o

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »

I didn't really convert mine at all.  Just glued his joints in place.  

These are the painted up versions of the Dark Eldar I posted in this thread a couple days ago.

Got these Matchbox flyers to use as drones for the same force. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:54:58 PM by Ironworker »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
Yes the MARS robots are fantastic conversion fodder.  Ironworker is correct though about paint, if you spray with either clear glosscoat or Testors Dullcote they will get "sticky" and remain that way.  Otherwise they work wonders and look great repainted.  Good luck with yours.
This is my boomstick!

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:47 AM »
That is a great ship.