Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm battle weary Romans ?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
28mm battle weary Romans ?
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Thinking about starting a long overdue project and am looking for 28mm battle weary/battered 1st/2nd century Roman troops (similar to Warlord Games plastic offerings with battered shields & bandaged heads etc.), is there such a thing ? any pointers to UK manufacterers much appreciated.
I'm normally lurking around the 20th century Boards so I know next to nowt about Ancients manufacturers other than Warlord - I have a handful of their plastics (which seem smaller than their metal offerings) and am trying to avoid the versions with extra arm/leg armour.
Also looking for 28mm zombie type Romans if anyone has come across them in their search for true type figures (a bit abstract I know !).

Regards

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm battle weary Romans ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
These lads would be a good choice

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=83&page=1

I think they fit if memory serves me with the Old foundry range which is huge

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/ancients/imperial-roman

and there may be some element from A&A

http://www.aandaminiatures.co.uk/categories/?c=3

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Warlord do both veteran legionaries - those with the extra armour you want to avoid and normal legionaries without. If you looks online on eBay you can pick up some bandaged heads to add to the normal figures if you want.

I did a similar thing with my figures years ago - I wanted a campaign look. I went with Foundry but painted tunics in other colours than the "traditional" red (or white!) going with off whites, pale greys and beiges/linen colours and then set about the shields with a sharp needle file to give them a "hacked" look to the rim and face. Scattering in the odd figure in mail and picking out some helmets or the reinforcements in silver or bronze and leaving some unburnished together with the odd figure in mail and scale really set the unit out from the crowd.

Sadly these veterans left my collection to form a colony elsewhere  some time ago!

Damn!!

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »
Hello

Bubblezbob, the plastic warlord and wargames foundry metal ones can be mixed because they are about the same size.
For battered shields you can always scratch a little on their shields. Its not dificult to do it.
For more variety on head type you can always buy separate heads from other manufacturers and glue them on the romans. Its what i do to have variety.
If you are going to build an army, invariably you will need to use a lot of plastic wich is easyer to convert/transform than metal and less expensive.

Cheers

Rumacara

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Thanks for the prompt replies and leads. Looks like I'm going to have to go with using Foundry and Warlord plastics to convert. I'm not building an army - only need about 12-20 figs - so I shouldnt need to do too much work.

Regards