Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Royal Irish Constabulary headgear during the IWI  (Read 23442 times)

Offline Mousethatroared

• Student
  • Game Warden
Royal Irish Constabulary headgear during the IWI
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
Caps or helmets?

Would somebody in the know be so kind as to advise if caps were the standard issue for constables during this period or were helmets. Was headgear determined by rank or where the constable was stationed- country or urban?
"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity"

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary headgear during the IWI
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:22:47 PM »
Both.

I can't say it holds true for the RIC but on the mainland helmets were generally worn by constables & sergeants on foot or mounted duty and caps by 'officers', and also by constables and sergeants in motor vehicles, and oddly on motorcycles. Special constables (i.e. volunteers) weren't issued helmets either I believe.

pictures here and here.

:)

Offline Mousethatroared

• Student
  • Game Warden
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks Arlequin. That gives me a lot of flexibility in fielding these units. Musketeer RIC figures are an obvious go to for figures with caps.

In the absence of readily available helmeted figures, any suggestions of appropriate head swap sources???

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
Well looking at the pics, given that they were rifle-armed by 1920, wouldn't Victorian/Edwardian British Army in home service helmets fit the bill without any head-swapping? I haven't a clue who makes any though.

Offline Mousethatroared

• Student
  • Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »
Bingo! Wargames Foundry retail a range of Victorian armed constables.  :) The helmet badge will need some attention with green stuff and I'll need to take a closer look at the tunic cut for compatibility. They also do some constables in capes which would be perfect for the climate lol as well as dispensing for the need of any necessary uniform alterations.

That prompts a follow-on question regarding compatibility of Foundry and Musketeer figures, which I would draw on heavily for other units. Anyone?

Update. Amazing what a bit of research can do. According to a certain open access online resource,that is the font of all knowledge, Dublin had its own police force, the unarmed Dublin Metropolitan Police which, as far as uniforms are concerned, was the mirror image of the London Met, including the helmet badge. Therefore assuming manufacture compatibility I can field both cap and helmeted versions and, based on the aforementioned source which suggests that not all constables batted for the establishment, raises all sorts of interesting scenarios for skirmishes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:20:57 AM by Mousethatroared »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Excellent! Please keep the thread updated as to progress, as I know there are one or two other folk interested in the period.  :)

Offline Algernon Crevis-Toule

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
The Royal Irish Constabulary wore caps all the time.

The Dublin Metropolitan Police wore helmets.

Please don't confuse them with Police in England and Wales for the period.

Reiver Castings make figures for the Easter Rising, IWI and ICW

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
Clare museum has a fine RIC helmet dated to 1917 in its collection and the RIC helmet and badge plate is noticeably different to that of the DMP one. I will accept that 'operationally' the cap was far more serviceable and seems to be 'the' head wear used (all helmeted photos seem to be parades, or other 'full dress' occasions).

A police helmet is more trouble than it's worth, unless its chucking out time in the local pub, then it's worth its weight in gold.  ;)

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
From a practical point of view the helmet is useless even during chucking out time..... mine got kicked around the street during pub fights more than it stayed on my head!

A nice piece of traditional equipment and much better looking than a flat cap but only the riot helmet is practical for protecting the head when it comes down it and that's something you would want to wear all the time either  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
It was something we had to wear all the time... along with the belted tunic, if we weren't on a mobile patrol. Not counting having your 'peg' bouncing against your knee every step because of that blasted internal pocket.  ::)

On the plus side we had riot straps as part of the helmet back then, but which could only be used when ordered to do so... it apparently upset the public. I'm preaching to the converted I'm sure, but the helmet spent more time in my hand than on my head if any activity was involved. Having said that I was grateful for it once or twice despite it's relative fragility.

However given the choice, it would have been car coat and cap for me all the time too, but back then I didn't get those until after I'd passed the UBV test, they were the 'badge' of a certified driver.

:)

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
Yes, belted tunics are another thing of the past although I do still have mine along with my top coat. It's just a pity it's not as easy to get into as it once was! :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 01:29:02 AM »
This should bring back fond memories for you two then.  :D

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Schoolboy
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »
Cheers for that!  ;)

I must admit though it was Chigley, Trumpton and Camberwick Green which left more of an impression but only after Captain Scarlet and Mr Benn....

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »
lol

My experience was more like this...

Oddly Early '80s set Ashes to Ashes bore far less relation to my own mid '80s experience, while Early '70s set Life on Mars was pretty close.

:?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:59:44 PM by Arlequín »

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
You must have been admitted to the asylum/institution the same time as me.

You're right about the Life on Mars rather than Ashes to Ashes too.